Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old    scpokc            09-19-2004, 3:01 PM Reply   
I've got 2 amps driving bass woofer, 2 bazookas on the tower and 4 clarions in the boat....pretty much stock MC stuff except the extra amp, bazzookas and woofer. I get a humming sound periodically when the engine is running. I bought some of those inline filters at WalMart and installed them on the outlet of my stereo box going to the amps....any of you stereo experts out there know why it would hum or what to check for?? All the grounds seem ok. TIA
Old    vern            09-19-2004, 3:24 PM Reply   
I think it's engine noise. In other words, interference that comes from the engine. Turn you sterio on with your engine off and if it's clear and no noise then that's the problem. Solutions to that are very hard to come up with because there are so many places that it can come from.
Old    scpokc            09-19-2004, 6:06 PM Reply   
Wakeman- it is definitely something to do w/ the engine on.......sounds perfect w/ engine off....sorry, should have been more clear. What do I look for?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-19-2004, 6:29 PM Reply   
do you have any rca or speaker cables near a power carrying cable ?
Old    vern            09-19-2004, 6:30 PM Reply   
well, there are a few optoins. The first I would go with is start looking at your wiring. Make sure that your power source from your amp to your battery is free and clearly away from ALL wires. That's one place. Other than that, it's going to get really hard to detect. Unless you really like re-wiring stuff (read everything in your boat) you may just have to live with it. You could take it to a sterio place and have them perform a few diagnostic tests... but it's going to be really hard to locate it. It's more of a hit or miss thing. Good luck.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-19-2004, 6:34 PM Reply   
If you unplug the RCA's from you amps is the noise still there?
Old    vern            09-19-2004, 6:34 PM Reply   
Also, is the head unit stock, and does the distortion come from ALL the speakers... or just the bazzooka and woofer? try disconnecting these and listening. That may give you a little more of an idea.
Old    vern            09-20-2004, 10:28 AM Reply   
Did you find anything out with the sterio yet? Keep me informed either here or at k_garman@yahoo.com