Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-30-2012, 7:50 PM Reply   
In my time on this site I have never seen much discussion of having boats re-painted. Seems doing a wrap is always the "go to" answer if someone doesnt like the way their boat looks.

I am taking a serious look at this rig and wonder if anyone has an idea of what a person could expect to pay to have the "hunter green" area painted black with maybe a simple pin stripe on the top and bottom of the newly painted black.

Anyone had anything similar done?? Where you happy with the result?
Attached Images

Old     (bmock50)      Join Date: Feb 2011       01-30-2012, 8:23 PM Reply   
I wanted the stripe on my boat fixed, not completely repainted, and was quoted $1k.
Old     (dhcomp1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-30-2012, 8:46 PM Reply   
For a boat you are buying, I can guarantee it wont' be worth the cost.

Wait for a boat that is the color you can tolerate.

It can be done fairly cheap, but like a car paint job, you get what you pay for.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-31-2012, 6:02 AM Reply   
The problem with painting a boat is that the paint is just not nearly as durable as the gel-coat that is on your boat now. It will scratch pretty easily passing boards in and out of the boat, loading up, getting it on the trailer, etc...
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-31-2012, 6:31 AM Reply   
vinyl wrap ftw. You don't have to wrap the entire boat, you can only cover up or redo the stripe if that is what you want.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-31-2012, 6:44 AM Reply   
^^^ x2.. You'll never get the longevity you're looking for by painting it. The color is in the gelcoat on a boat - not like a car where it has a topcoat of paint. You'd be best just wrapping it.

B-ryce - I have a homie that can pull off a wrap for you for a reasoanable price. He could do just a black stripe as a cover up or a full or half wrap - custom, etc. One of my bros from Fargo - he's got a degree in graphic design and has a vinyl machine.
Old     (V)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-31-2012, 7:14 AM Reply   
jeff, can you send me that info, I have a MC 210VRS with that hunter green stripe, I am looking to get it covered.........
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-31-2012, 7:29 AM Reply   
also check out ultimateboatwraps.com, they are in MN. They did that Wounded Warriors Malibu that is in the other thread.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-31-2012, 8:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakereviews View Post
also check out ultimateboatwraps.com, they are in MN. They did that Wounded Warriors Malibu that is in the other thread.
Speaking of.. I tried to find you at the MPLS boat show but couldn't.. Me and B-Ryce were wandring around and I thought I'd stop by.. You must have been in one of the perimeter booths, we didn't get in til late on Saturday and had too much ground to cover..
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-31-2012, 8:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
jeff, can you send me that info, I have a MC 210VRS with that hunter green stripe, I am looking to get it covered.........
Yeah, I'll check with my guy and see if he wants to make this "public".. If he's in - I'll message you his contact details.

Bryce is one of my Bros and he's local - so that's why I mentioned it. I'm not sure if my bro in Fargo is looking to go mainstream with this or not - I can't see why not - but I'll check and get up with you.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-31-2012, 8:48 AM Reply   
Yeah, I was sharing a booth with Ultimate Boat Wraps on the outskirts right around the corner from the flow rider. Had a pretty small little area. Will probably do next year with a bigger spot though.
Old    sperbet            01-31-2012, 9:54 AM Reply   
I just did mine last summer. Painted with Imron, pictures below. It cost me $1200 and looks fantastic IMO. They even paint matched my gelcoat. Can't even tell it's not original up close.
Attached Images

Old    sperbet            01-31-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
I looked into a wrap as well. Very expensive and didn't last long enough for me to make that kind of investment. I believe the paint will hold up much, much better over the long haul.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-31-2012, 10:12 AM Reply   
your SAN looks tough in all white. love it.
Old     (V)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-31-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
Scott,

What company did that, I am looking into maybe doing that. Bad thing is I am in the military and move around alot. In fact I will probebly be moving in the next couple of months.
Old    sperbet            01-31-2012, 10:31 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff.

On second thought I think I paid $1500 for paint/prep and a full detail. I had gotten a quote for $1200 a few years prior to actually getting it done.

The shop that did mine was the Autobody Workshop in Sacramento. They do a lot of commercial vehicles and the owner had painted his own wakeboat before. So I felt comfortable with their experience painting things other than just cars. If you take it to a Maaco or something along those lines you may not be as happy with the end result. Just ask questions. If they know what kind of paint to use that's a good start.
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       01-31-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
That SAN in all white is beautiful!!

Are those nascar looking tires on that trailer?

I am in communication with these guys, they are local and appear to specialize in marine... see what they say

www.bricksboatworks.com
Old     (V)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-01-2012, 7:32 PM Reply   
did they re-gel coat over the paint?
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-01-2012, 8:47 PM Reply   
I got a quote from the place I linked to above. $1700-$2000, I could save a little by removing/re-installing the rub rail myself.

They said they would use a single stage paint, I cant remember what kinda, but not a normal automotive top coat.

This company also does warranty work for glastron and said glastron used a normal top coat for all their accent colors until 1998. The guy on the phone was super helpful. Sounds like their general practice is anything above the water line, the top coat is ok and is plenty durable. I take way better care of my boat than my truck (truck goes through MN winters) and all the truck has is a "automotive top coat" and it seems to work just fine!!

I am gonna get a couple other quotes, maybe even one from a automotive refinisher as well and see if i can get something close to the low thousands.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-02-2012, 7:07 AM Reply   
We can get that wrap done for 1/4 of that.
Old     (V)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-02-2012, 7:57 AM Reply   
Jeff,

1/4 of that? what kinda wrap, where at, how long would it take?
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-02-2012, 9:56 AM Reply   
I miss the purple and teal, RIP Tealie-Monster
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2012, 10:51 AM Reply   
I had the same purple and teal on my first boat too. I loved that super sport.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-02-2012, 12:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
Jeff,

1/4 of that? what kinda wrap, where at, how long would it take?
Friend price and not a "full wrap".. A wrap covering the green stripe on the boat above..

Bryce is a friend of mine and another friend of mine is a vinyl guy (not a boat wrap guy)