Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-31-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
We're headed down to Orlando next weekend and are trying to decide between the two. We don't have much slider experience but have been to OWC before and my son was able to master the box and the kickers. Which one would you recommend and what are the pros/cons of each ? We will be going on a Saturday. Should we be concerned with the wait times at either? Any help would be appreciated.
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-31-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
I have spent a considerable amount of time at both and I prefer McCormick's now. You can't really go wrong with either. It's much quieter at McCormicks for the most part. The major difference is that McCormicks rotates clockwise and OWC rotates counter clockwise so left foot forward riders are favored there, but I am right foot forward and like McCormicks party because its very easy to ride switch there because thats what the cable is geared toward. The quality of the rails is great, there are 2 obstacles that are along the lines of the tabletop (dancefloor and fupa) at owc so if he can master those he will have fun on those.

So bottom line I say McCormicks, everyone there is friendly and talkative and will help you with whatever you need. Any more questions I'll check back.
Old    wakejjboard12            07-31-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
what are typical wait times on saturday and sunday compared to OWC?

I'm going next weekend too and have a few friends that are beginners (one has ridden OWC before and one has only been behind the boat once). Is McCormick's a good place for complete noobs? Or should I just get them on the beginner lake at OWC?
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-31-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
Well it depends on the time of day, but less than owc definitely. Until about 2 or so there is no wait at all at McCormicks, I went last saturday and had the cable pretty much to myself at first.

At McCormicks they have an easy start system for complete beginners that gets them used to riding before stepping up to the big cable. Its much easier than the Beginner lake at OWC. Then I would say that the big cable is easier to get up on than the advanced cable at OWC.

I would say its about as good as owc for noobs (because the jump from easy start to big cable is a little bigger than the jump from beginner to advnaced at owc), but for more intermediate riders like myself its better.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-31-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
Try both! Problem solved. LOL!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-31-2009, 10:15 AM Reply   
Tom's advice was confusing. A counter clockwise cable like OWC is easier for a right foot forward riders. This is just the opposite of Tom's statement...

"OWC rotates counter clockwise so left foot forward riders are favored there"

BTW, getting up on the big cable at OWC should not be a problem for anyone who can get up behind a boat.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-31-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
McCormicks is a little more newb friendly I would say. Dialing sh*t in at McCormicks can be tricky though because the cable has a pretty good bit of slack in it due to its length and you can get yanked off your line or pulled off a rail if someone behind you is doing an air trick. They have some sick new stuff out there though. I prefer OWC, but we make an effort to drive down to Tampa for the afternoon atleast one day on all of our trips. Its only like 45 minutes and its super easy to get to.
Old    wakejjboard12            07-31-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
Maybe we will hit up both then. Thanks for all the input.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-31-2009, 11:25 AM Reply   
"Tom's advice was confusing. A counter clockwise cable like OWC is easier for a right foot forward riders. This is just the opposite of Tom's statement...

"OWC rotates counter clockwise so left foot forward riders are favored there"

BTW, getting up on the big cable at OWC should not be a problem for anyone who can get up behind a boat."

BY "there" he meant McCormicks
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-31-2009, 11:43 AM Reply   
That's why I said it was confusing instead of wrong. A pronoun should not have multiple antecedents. I only attempted to clarify.:-)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-31-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
OWC you have to deal with cable rats... McCormicks, not so much.
+1 for McCormicks
Old     (gunnertom4593)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-31-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
I'm not very good at putting what i'm thinking into words haha. I did mean that McCormicks favors left foot forward and OWC favors right food forward. And I (being right foot forward) found it helpful when riding switch to be on a cable that favors left foot forward riders. Make sense?
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-31-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice. I was most worried about the wait times. Also, McCormicks looked more accommodating to beginners. Is the walk back longer at McCormicks?
Old     (cglass08)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-31-2009, 2:01 PM Reply   
Depends on where you fall. If you fall on the far side at McCormick's you have to swim then walk across the island in the middle then swim again (kinda sucks but worth it because its always calm). I would try to make it to both cables. They really are not that far from each other. At the moment I think I like McCormick's a little better than OWC...they need to get something new or switch up the location of their stuff.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-03-2009, 4:10 PM Reply   
+1 McCormick's cable but I'm REALLY biased!