Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (pianoftw)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-31-2009, 8:28 PM Reply   
i'm hoping to buy a vest before getting on the water again this year. is it important to try different vests on first to really know if it's the one you want and fits the way you want? are they like boards, where each person rides differently and likes a specific board? or is it fairly safe ordering off a website even if i haven't worn it before?
Old     (wakespider)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-01-2009, 5:06 AM Reply   
I found that I really needed to try on the vest. There are a lot of women-specific vests out there that have accommodations for a woman's body, but sometimes it's in the wrong place... if you know what I mean.

You'll also want to be sure the "strategic arm holes" are comfortable. You'll need to be able to move those shoulders for those handle passes.

Good luck Bethany!

Good luck Bethany!
Old    wakejjboard12            04-01-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
i would try them on for sure
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-01-2009, 3:20 PM Reply   
when you try it on, make sure it's really really tight in the store - it will loosen up when it gets wet, and stretch over time too.
Old     (pianoftw)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-01-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
thanks for the advice! i'm from Northwest Indiana, so now the question is...where to find shops and marinas that have a good inventory to try from.

thanks again!
Old     (wakespider)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-02-2009, 4:10 AM Reply   
DICK'S Sporting Goods has a good selection. That's where I got mine and believe it or not, the guys on the boat fight over who is going to borrow mine first. It was a Body Glove and cost about $125.
Old     (pianoftw)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-02-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
heh, i never even thought about DICK's but thanks! there's only a couple small marinas near me so they don't have much of a selection. i went to the Chicago boat show hoping to find a vest and they only had a couple brands there as well...disappointing
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-02-2009, 1:39 PM Reply   
Bethany - if you went to the Chicago boat show that means you are in my neck of the woods. We ride on the Fox River (we launch in Cary) and I have another girl in my crew if you ever want to join us. I don't know how much of a drive it would be for you but you can't beat the service at Ultimate Wake in Volo. They are a part of Chicago Sea Ray.
Old     (pianoftw)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-02-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
Lizrd, I'm from lansing, straight south of chicago and right by the indiana border. i checked out Ultimate Wake's website and they look like they have a lot to choose from. I'll see if i can make a trip up there.

i'd love to ride sometime. i don't have my own board right now but hopefully buying one with birthday money soon. both my boyfriend and i just started...you think he could come along too sometime?
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-03-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
You bet. I don't know if anyone gives lessons down by you but they are generally worth it for beginners. It will be a drive for you to get to us but combine it with a trip to Ultimate Wake and it will be worth it. Make a day of it, you know? They have great package deals on board setups, too, and are very knowledgeable. There's two other shops in our area, too. Well, three others if you go to Lake Geneva, WI. You might want to ride a few different types of boards to help you make a decision on what you want to buy. We have not summerized yet but we expect to any day now. Who do you ride with now and do you know what kind of boat you have been behind?

There's two other sites you might make connections on soulriders.com and midwestwakeboarder.com I'm never on them but they focus on the IL/IN/WI scene.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-05-2009, 6:18 AM Reply   
The new Wakeboarding Magazine had a whole section on womens lifejackets.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-05-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
No - it is a bunch of pictures of women with life vests on but most of them are men's vests. There isn't any description or details given other than what is USCGA and what is not. Another lame attempt at using hot women to sell something completely unrelated to hot women.
Old     (pianoftw)      Join Date: Oct 2008       04-05-2009, 7:32 PM Reply   
which edition? the April 09 one? i looked at the last two and am not sure what you're talking about...

Lizrd - i ride behind an 01 Tige 21i. it's my buddies and we ride at his cottage on Cedar Lake, IN. it's me, my boyfriend and then a couple other guy friends who ride, and then some other girls who will try stuff and go tubing. i'll pm you about the other shops and maybe riding sometime.

Everyone! Thanks so much for your help and advice. I really appreciate it and can't wait for summer to be here!! it snowing here right now!
Old     (radrachel)      Join Date: May 2009       05-14-2009, 1:00 AM Reply   
They don't make women's vests for large chests, so I had to get a men's XXL. I found one that wasn't too mannish on evogear.com, and for a great price.