Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-19-2006, 8:29 PM Reply   
I have an 02 Cally Pro V, I'm 5'-9" 185# and have a Hyperlite Landlock. Lookin for pointers on getting started. I tried on monday and couldn't quite get it. I could get up and surf behind the boat with rope in hand but as soon as I let go, I got left behind. I am regular stance and tried surfing toeside (if that makes a difference?). Any pointers? I don't have Perf. Pass either so speed advice would be apreciated too as I didn't even know how fast to go. We just went fast enough to get a good looking wave.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-19-2006, 8:44 PM Reply   
You need Perfect Pass and some fat sacks for sure IMO.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-19-2006, 8:49 PM Reply   
When I tried monday I had ten passengers all on one side, full tank(65 gallons) 300# total in the trunks 500# in the front (always up front to keep from porpoising), so I thinking weight wasn't an issue. Perfect pass is hopefully a mid summer upgrade.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-19-2006, 8:52 PM Reply   
When I tried monday I had ten passengers all on one side (as best as we could), full tank(65 gallons) 300# total in the trunks 500# in the front (always up front to keep from porpoising), so I'm thinking weight wasn't an issue. Perfect pass is hopefully a mid summer upgrade. Had to fix the last post.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-20-2006, 5:42 AM Reply   
John, where do you live?

Any chance you can make it to Central Florida on Sunday?

A bunch of us are learning how to surf at the Supra/Moomba jamboree on Saturday and then going out on Sunday to practice.

Old    surfdad            04-20-2006, 8:28 AM Reply   
John, it sounds like you have most everything under control. From this point on it's really just a matter of "mileage". Get some more hours under your belt and you'll be shredding. Something I can recommend that might help. Don't try tossing the rope at this stage. Keep the handle in your hands and just focus on creating slack in the rope. If there is SLACK, you're surfing. The benefit is that if you loose the pocket your ride isn't over, you fall back, the rope goes taught and you pull yourself back in. It's truly just a matter of getting the muscle memory to weight and unweight the nose. It's a constant adjustment, like steering a car, little adjustments left and right, only you're shifting your weight front and back.

If you find that you can't create slack in the rope without pearling the board (burying the nose underwater) trying shifting your weight a bit closer to the inside rail (toes closer to the wake). Then again try creating slack...if THOSE adjustments don't work, I would suggest to look for a slightly larger board to get started on. Once you master staying in the pocket, you can pretty much ride any sized board available.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-20-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
yeah definiteky hang on to the rope for a while why your learning so u dont keep crashing. this way you can get more practice in and less time waiting for the boat to turn around to pick you up and before u know it you'll be surfing
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-21-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
Hey guys Thanks for the tips. I guess being so excited to try it, I lost sight of what's seemingly obvious, hold on to the rope stupid! I'll probably try again monday after work. (Sorry Zack gotta work sat. and sun.) I will definitely keep you guys posted on the progress. Thanks again!!
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-21-2006, 7:33 PM Reply   
Ed I live about 30 miles south of Seattle so the trip to central Florida mike be a bit of a hike Thanks though!