Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (preacherman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-22-2007, 9:42 PM Reply   
I just recently returned home from the PWT in Acworth GA. I had the opportunity to attend "wake church" with Emily Copeland and Shaun Murray. It was GREAT!! Not sure about you guys, but I hate missing service on Sunday and with this going on with the Pro Tour is was a great opportunity. If you plan on attending one of the Pro stops or somewhere else where they have this I encourage you to go!! You will not be disappointed!!!

GOT TO GIVE A SHOUT OUT TO EMILY AND SHAUN FOR ALL THEIR HARD WORK!!! KEEP IT UP!!!

Here is a pic from the service I attended! A little dark but it is of Shaun playing guitar and Emily leading worship.

Upload
Old     (douglb)      Join Date: May 2007       05-22-2007, 10:59 PM Reply   
Shaun Murray is definitely a cool guy, I like how he's not afraid to stand up for his views.
Old     (1whikedclown)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-23-2007, 3:50 AM Reply   
give me a break
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-23-2007, 4:26 AM Reply   
I agree Bradley. Some people take whatever it is in their lives (work, school, wakeboarding) so seriously that they think its the most important thing in the world. Its nice when you see people able to take a step back and look at the big picture.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-23-2007, 4:37 AM Reply   
It's Funny, but with just a few simple words, someone can demonstrate how much of an A$$ they are.

Makes me laugh Scott.

Sean
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-23-2007, 5:19 AM Reply   
I think it is a great idea. That is true commitment to faith and they don't hide it. Keep walking the walk. People who criticize, condemn or make fun of them are the ones who are weak. Hopefully one day they too will understand Christ like Derek Grasman, Randall Harris, and Gerry Nunn.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-23-2007, 5:32 AM Reply   
I try an attend the wake church at all the stops, Shaun, Emily, Gerry Nunn and others do a great job, they keep it light and still send their message. You would be suprised how many riders are in attendance. Scott your new to this board and a 2 post wonder so if you don't have anything of value to say don't bash others for their post or thoughts.
Old     (committed)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-23-2007, 7:33 AM Reply   
"give me a break"

Sad...
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       05-23-2007, 8:13 AM Reply   
Yes I have attended a couple, with Emily and Shaun, very cool, I enjoyed it very much, I will go to the Fort Worth PWT Wake Church!!
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-23-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
WOw thats really cool...wasnt aware they were christians.....
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-23-2007, 8:33 AM Reply   
1whiked, care to explain what you mean by that?
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
troll?
Old     (preacherman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-23-2007, 9:02 AM Reply   
Well I am not afraid to stand up for my belief, and have to say that Shaun and Emily are not either. Sad that we got a few on here that have to come and put their 2 sense in when it would be better if they would move on to the next thread. Anyway, hope some of you can check out the Wake Church if you are attending an event. I am telling you it was great.
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2007, 9:05 AM Reply   
Shaun Murray is constantly impressive--he keeps his heart and his efforts in the right place. I'm glad there are people like this-- also Emily and Gerry and Derek and Randall -- for people to look up to :-)
Old     (wakeman7)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-23-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
Qoute: {I think it is a great idea. That is true commitment to faith and they don't hide it. Keep walking the walk. People who criticize, condemn or make fun of them are the ones who are weak. Hopefully one day they too will understand Christ like Derek Grasman, Randall Harris, and Gerry Nunn.}

Well put. I think we should start up a christian wakeboarders association or something.

(Message edited by wakeman7 on May 23, 2007)
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-23-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
Remember the women at the well? Jesus said where are your accusers? She said they are all gone....He said neither do I accuse you. Remember you and I were sinners lost and on our way to hell beofre we met Christ. He alone gives us the key to salvation. Nothing we can do can earn us that place. I guess what Im saying is, we were once like Scott, he is know diefferent. Just needs Christ. I understand the wanting to reply in a harsh way. But the reality is, people like scott who are no different then you and I need to see the Love of Christ...not fingers pointing in his diretion. I used to be really critical of people...until I realized how many faults I had and how without God I was in sinking sand. Lets show a little love.
Old     (erock_15)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-23-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
Well said Scott. I've talked with Shaun through email a while back and was very impressed by his demeanor and Christian attitude. I was tellin him about our group Wakeboarders For Christ and it was really cool to get a pro's perspective. And Randall the Vandall is a bigtyme Christian too. Read his interview on here if you get a chance.
Old     (erock_15)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-23-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
Oh and check us out our group on myspace! www.myspace.com/wakeboardersforchrist
add us if you have an account!
Old     (dluttr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-23-2007, 11:19 AM Reply   
That's awesome that they had wake church at the PWT!

I learned at The Boarding School, that Shaun plays guitar in the praise band at his Orlando church. We had some good discussions about it.

I hope they have Wake Church at the Masters this weekend. I'll definitely attend!
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
I read an interview somewhere and the vandall was talking about Christ then said he spends alot of time drinking??? i wish i knew where i read this but he might have just been being a smartass
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-23-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
he could be catholic ??
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-24-2007, 1:43 AM Reply   
sean was it here? http://wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1071
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-24-2007, 7:56 AM Reply   
By scott firman (mucktoerider) on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 5:19 am:
People who criticize, condemn or make fun of them are the ones who areweak.

First of all I am not against religon I do beleave in God just not the people that go to chruch not all but most. (for my owen reasons not open for discusion)

But how is that statment not the pot calling the kettle black? I understand this coment and its meaning. I just see it as some one saying "I'm not weak because...,You are weak because..."

Bash if may.
I'm just sayin in the end it's your faith and your faith alone that matters.}
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       05-24-2007, 9:58 AM Reply   
I KNEW SHAUN WAS A CHRISTIAN ,BUT I DIDN'T KNOW HE WAS IN THE WAKE CHURCH AND I DIDN'T KNOW THAT THERE EVEN WAS A WAKE CHURCH. I NEED TO GO TO A TOURNAMENT JUST TO SEE THAT. I THINK THAT IS AWESOME AND ITS COOL THAT THEY LEAD A WAKE CHURCH.
Old     (gina_h)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-24-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
Wake Church is Awesome! --Great worship music, verses and messages that hit home and hold the attention of all, and awesome role models! The time and commitment that Shaun, Emily, her husband Kevin, Gerry, the folks at Radical Riders, and many other put into it is truly appreciated by the riders and their families.
Old     (thirdgear)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-24-2007, 10:43 AM Reply   
Thank you for that comment, Greg; I was thinking the same thing.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-24-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
"he could be catholic"...classic! LOL

I love it when people pull the "people in church are hypocrites" card. This is not just a statement for non-believers, plenty of christians feel the same way and voice their opinion about these "hypocrites". The bottom line is you go to church to be filled with the spirit in preparation for the week ahead so that Christ can guide you through the temptations this world throws at us daily. Going to church doesn't make you a christian...and not going to church to avoid being a "hypocrite" doesn't make you any more righteous than a sinner who goes to church, because guess what..."We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." What I like about most of the guys on tour who have a strong faith is they freely voice their belief in Jesus, but they don't push this belief on others...they simply lead by example. Being a christian doesn't mean you won't drink, curse, or commit any other sin, it simply means that you will desire "not" to do these things and that when you fall you can be forgiven through the saving grace of Jesus Christ. Its not a free pass to be a screw up because a person who truly believes and has devoted his life to Christ will avoid these type of lifestyles and situations.

Also, don't be offended by christian's who are out there trying to spread the word of Christ...this is our calling as believers...to share the knowledge of the greatest gift the world was ever given: Jesus Christ. You can choose to listen or not to listen, but if you choose to, atleast be respectful.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-24-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
Greg, Scott was not saying that he is weak because of his beliefs, he is saying that he is weak because of his criticism of someone else's beliefs.

There is a pretty distinct difference to me...

I would not condemn someone for being a Jew/Muslim/Catholic, etc... But I would condemn someone who is a Jew/Muslim/Catholic who criticizes another for their beliefs. Does that make sense?

Sean
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-24-2007, 11:12 AM Reply   
Its not our place as christians to condemn or judge anyone. We are called to spread the word and leave the judging to God.
Old    110outlet            05-24-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
I don't believe in God or Jesus, but i do think wake church is a great idea for the people that do chose to believe in Religion. Im sure the organizers are doing it in there spare time at the PWT stops. Props to that.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-24-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
People who criticize, condemn or make fun of them are the ones who are weak. Hopefully one day they too will understand Christ. Don't read only part and focus on that only. The second part is the strongest part of that statement. Weak...is meant in the terms of faith. People who usually that go on a defense and ridicule an idea or spiritual belief are the ones who know little to nothing about the subject, faith. In this case the ones who know little about Christ and his love. I am not attacking anyone for not attending church or not believing in Christ. Simply put, I just hope one day you will learn the love of Christ and the true meaning of life and why we live and breathe. I have a lot of non-church going, non- believer friends. I hope they too will come to know Christ. For if they don't, they will never get to enjoy life the same as I do. Luker is right...we are definitely not perfect, we make mistakes a lot. but we are conscious of them and try to do things right in the first place. Learn from them and try not to repeat them. I hope this clarifies what I was saying. You really have to put the two sentences together, otherwise I can see why it would be confused as a negative jab.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-24-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
Well Said Luker!

To all those who stay away from church, because there's too many hypocrites there, I say come on down- one more just won't matter! You might find that you actually enjoy it.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-24-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
AMEN Peter
Old     (erock_15)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-24-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
The sad truth is most Christians are in fact hypocrits. It's hard not to be. But as a Christian it is our calling to not down other people for sinning, but tell them about Jesus. The hypocrit card always gets played because people see "Christians" doing stuff that a "Christian" shouldn't be doing and use that as ammo again Christianity.

It's just my opinion but I think we should try our hardest to
1. not to judge people for their sins because it says in the God's word in Mathew 7:3 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" That's saying don't criticize people for their faults when you have plenty of your own.

and

2. Show the love of God through us to other people. That's the best way IMHO to get someone to know Christ. Not say "you shouldn't do that that's a sin," or "you better believe in God because you will go to hell if you don't..." But rather "God loved me so much he gave his Son for me so I'm going to love you that much."
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-24-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
We should all 'walk the walk', strive to always better ourselves, lead by example to our friends and family--be a good father, brother, friend.....
We all have demons---alcohol, drugs, divorce, violence, predjudice, finger pointing, etc. I face my demons daily, while trying to accept others(and thier faults)by practicing patience, understanding and forgiveness. This is my 'test'. This is our 'test', to love and accept our neighbors, not to judge them, rather to be their for them in their time of need.
When you act in the service of men, you are serving the Lord.
I would like to personally thank Shaun for his friendship and caring, for helping me to be a better me. Through prayer, Shaun helped me to realign my life towards a path of rightesness for which I had fallen. Thank you.
Regardless of your beliefs, 'Good is Good', and we should strive for that which is good.

God is Great

God Bless
Old     (bassmanjoshis)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-24-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
I commend all of those on the PWT and those in the 'public eye' that don't have to open their mouths to see they believe in something higher. It's in their actions and we know that [cliche]"actions speak louder than words"[/cliche]. I emailed murray once upon a time after seeing his segment on 'world of wakeboaring' and he's a stand-up guy
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-24-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
If drinking is bad, Jesus probably wouldn't have changed water into wine. I suppose I'm speaking like a true Catholic. Haha.

Another reason why Murray is my favorite rider.

Cool deal, no reason to get your balls in an upright on either side of this debate. Have a drink.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-24-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
Wurd...It's almost 5 here :-)

No where in scripture does it say not to drink...Christ himself drank frequently...the Bible does however address being a "drunkard" and over indulging in alcohol.
Old     (preacherman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-24-2007, 4:31 PM Reply   
WELL I DIDN'T START THIS THREAD FOR PEOPLE TO START BASHING EACH OTHER AND THEIR RELIGIONS, BUT I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE REALIZED THAT THIS WOULD HAPPEN. JUST REALLY WANTED TO MAKE THIS AWARE TO EVERYONE THAT IT WAS GOING ON AT THE PWT EVENTS AND IF YOU WERE INTERESTED TO CHECK IT OUT.

MY ONLY COMMENT WOULD HAVE TO BE THOUGH REGARDING ALL THE POST, IS DEALING WITH THE "HYPOCRITS" THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A HYPOCRIT. YOU ARE EITHER SAVED OR NOT!! YOU CAN'T RIDE THE FENCE!! PAUL DECLARED IN THE NEW TESTAMENT THAT WE MUST HAVE THE MIND OF CHRIST, AND THAT OUR BODY IS THE TEMPLE OF THE HOLY GHOST. NOT TO GET ANYTHING STARTED AND GET ANYONE IN AN UPROAR, BUT YOU EITHER LIVE IT OR NOT. IF YOU ARE LIVING LIKE A HYPOCRIT THEN YOU NEED TO HIT THE ALTAR AND REPENT.

GOD BLESS TO EVERYONE
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-24-2007, 5:00 PM Reply   
Kudo's to shaun and emily, I use to go to the NDRA drag racing events regularily while do a stint freelancing for various teams and websites.

Always had church service 8 a.m. on a sunday and anyone was invited.

Some people are more religious than others, we must respect that.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-25-2007, 12:28 AM Reply   
I choose to take the scripture for what it means to me. Witch is all any one can do. Should I read the bible more? Sure. I have had this discusion with a few life long friends(all church goin, one is now a minister) they under stand me, never have they once bashed me or told me I need to go to churh. When i'm town and have a chance I atend with them. I know the door is allways open. They make that very clear but at the same time respect my boundries.
Did I bash anyones faith? No. I respect Vandall (and all others) maybe even more now with his openess to his faith, with his past it would be hard to be so open about it. His faith has help him in more ways than anyone will ever know (me included). I am more shocked the they havent offerd church service sooner. NHRA,NASCAR, heck I think almost all motor sports have it and it is great. If that is your choice.
The point of my statment was this.(IMO) Poor choice in words the same with mine.
"People who criticize, condemn or make fun of them are the ones who are weak."
"People who criticize, condemn or make fun of them are the ones we all should pray for}.
I'm sayin the same thing. Through prayer maybe we can help them "weak" find faith in god.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-25-2007, 1:46 AM Reply   
By Phillip Van Every (boss210) on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 - 11:47 am:
he could be catholic ??
If I was would that mean I was with out faith? No If I stand up and say I am catholic then that would say that I have faith in my choice of religion. Same for christians, Jewish, Voodoo, moormon, scientoligist any religon.(IMO)Religion is based on faith with in that religion.

By Luker (xbones) on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 10:44 am:
"he could be catholic"...classic! LOL
See my reply to Boss210

"I love it when people pull the "people in church are hypocrites" card.This is not just a statement for non-believers, plenty of christians feel the same way and voice their opinion about these "hypocrites". The bottom line is you go to church to be filled with the spirit in preparation for the week ahead so that Christ can guide you through the temptations this world throws at us daily. Going to church doesn't make you a christian...and not going to church to avoid being a "hypocrite" doesn't make you any more righteous than a sinner who goes to church, because guess what..."We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." What I like about most of the guys on tour who have a strong faith is they freely voice their belief in Jesus, but they don't push this belief on others...they simply lead by example. Being a christian doesn't mean you won't drink, curse, or commit any other sin, it simply means that you will desire "not" to do these things and that when you fall you can be forgiven through the saving grace of Jesus Christ. Its not a free pass to be a screw up because a person who truly believes and has devoted his life to Christ will avoid these type of lifestyles and situations."

"The bottom line is you go to church to be filled with the spirit in preparation for the week ahead so that Christ can guide you through the temptations this world throws at us daily."

By that statment if I was alone and lost in the desert with nothig but my faith in god. Would that not be Church? If god is every where why do I need to go to churh to be filled with his spirit? He may guid us. The cold hard fact is that it is our choice to follow him but like you said if you have true faith in him he will not condem you for not listening.

This was an area that I do not want to get in to. I will say this No person on this earth is someone I have to answer too.} ;)

"Also, don't be offended by christian's who are out there trying to spread the word of Christ...this is our calling as believers...to share the knowledge of the greatest gift the world was ever given: Jesus Christ. You can choose to listen or not to listen, but if you choose to, atleast be respectful."

I never was offended. I just felt that Scott statment could have been taken the wrong way, the same as my statment was. I should have been more complete with my statment. I think Scott and I are on the same page after reading his reply.

By Luker (xbones) on Thursday, May 24, 2007 - 11:12 am:
"Its not our place as christians to condemn or judge anyone. We are called to spread the word and leave the judging to God."

Spread the word

I have said my peace now I am done with this thread. Big props to all that stand tall for there beliefs and the PWT believers.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-25-2007, 4:38 AM Reply   
"People who criticize, condemn or make fun of them are the ones who are weak."
"People who criticize, condemn or make fun of them are the ones we all should pray for}.
I'm sayin the same thing. Through prayer maybe we can help them "weak" find faith in god. Greg...well said. That is exactly what I meant by that comment. When I reread that and think about it. It was bad on my part to think I was only talking to Christians. Most Christians who read the word weak would think...weak in faith like you stated. I took for granted because of the subject on who and who would not most likely read this thread. Thanks for understanding my original thought. I was not trying to alienate anyone. That would not be cool. especially when you want to share your faith in Christ with others.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-25-2007, 6:35 AM Reply   
Shaun & wake church is getting a lot of pub on this thread, I better go early on Sunday at Fort Worth, I have a feeling it's going to be a big turnout. Shaun, you might need a bigger tent
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-25-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
"By that statment if I was alone and lost in the desert with nothig but my faith in god. Would that not be Church? If god is every where why do I need to go to churh to be filled with his spirit? He may guid us. The cold hard fact is that it is our choice to follow him but like you said if you have true faith in him he will not condem you for not listening."

Being filled with the spirit can be done in many different ways...Church just happens to be a channel in which most christians do this. I actually find that listen to a sermon or christian music in the truck on the way to work every morning is generally a much better way for me to "be filled" than some Sunday church services. It's about what fits you best...thats why there is so much debate today on different worship styles...contemporary vs traditional...rock music vs hymns...I say, IN THE END ITS ALL WORSHIP!!! If you are doing it to the glory of God then I'm sure he's stoked about it!
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-25-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
The first Boardstock in Stockton took place when I was on my 2 year Mormon Mission in New Jersey,
I guess there was a meet and greet at some point and my parents were able to get my Board signed by Gerry Nunn and Shaun.
Gerry even took the time to write a little religous message on the board as well.
I'm just glad that there are guys like this who are constantly striving to make positive changes in our sport.
Old     (craigystyle_05)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-25-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
a big part about being a christian is to strive every day to be more like god... i'll admit im a huge hypocrite... but you will never see me mouthing or pointing fingers at someone when they do the same thing i do... but everyday i do try to be more like christ... some days are good some days aren't.... but if you truly ask jesus christ in your heart and you know him as your lord and savior... then he will forgive you... cause when you asked him into your heart and to forgive you of your sins... you didnt mean a few of your sins... he died for ALL of them... past present and future....
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-25-2007, 5:06 PM Reply   
I dunno how I feel about it, I actually dont care for it much.

I think this whole disccusion shoudl be kept over at the wakeboarding for jesus myspace and lets not talk about religion.
Old    wakeboardpunk17            05-25-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
I only read a bit of this convo...but I must say its amazing how large the christian community is and that it overjoys me to see other christian riders as myself. All I can say about the whole weak thing or judging and stuff is that should be left to God on judgement day. All we can do here on Earth is love as our lord loves us...ITS THAT SIMPLE...LOVE. So I encourage you guys to instead of denounce nonbelievers to instead love on them and thats all you can do. God bless
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-27-2007, 1:34 AM Reply   
umm