Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old    malibu73            06-20-2007, 8:15 PM Reply   
I posted something up the other day, but I figure i should ask it this way instead.

I have a closed bow Moomba Boomerang, I used to put 200-300 lbs in the back/middle. From a post I herd that I should put more weight in the front and lengthen my rope to around 70'.

We went out today and I put 100 pounds up front and 200 in back. I really liked how the wake was and the new rope length, but the bow of the boat was really low in the water. The front weight is pretty much permanent, because it really hard to climb under the bow, so I cant take it out when just riding around. Should I have the weight as far in the front as I can get it or move it back some? Is there anything else I can do or should I just watch the front from now on. I'm worried about water coming over the bow. 100lbs doesn't seem like a lot compared to all the weight you guys put in your boats, but mine seems to react to very little weight. Max i have put in is 400 in sand bags and the boat seemed really bogged down and put out (to me) a huge wake.
Old     (goerlich)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-21-2007, 5:50 AM Reply   
I've got a closed bow 1990 Sanger DX. I'm not sure how it would compare to your Moomba, but I recently started adding weight and am now a happy man. The following is my setup, which I arrived at based on input from fatsac on WW (he has the same boat as me)

I ended up adding 100lbs under the rear seats and 150lbs way up in the nose (steel shot bags). Like you, I noticed that I needed to be careful crossing the wakes to pick up a rider. A friend took water over the bow when picking me up... to my horror, I watched as it ultimately washed up and over the windshield... no harm done but, at the time, I was worried about my camera gear that was in the boat.

I could definitely see a difference with the 250lbs added but, after seeing fatsac's photos, I decided to add Fly High Side Sacs as well. So that added 260lbs on each side of the engine. They take floor space, but are only 12" tall... fatsac used 440lb sacs on each side of the engine, but I was afraid it would be too easy to take on water... especially with some of the other drivers.

At this point I couldn't be happier. I just needed to show each person that drives it how to cross the wakes and to be aware of the bow.

Sorry for the rambling... to summarize:
100lbs steel (rear)
150lbs steel (nose)
560lbs fat sacs (260lbs each side of engine)

Normally I have 3 people total in the boat, which helps a bit more. (2 up front, 1 at the back in the middle of the seat to even things out).

Here's a pic of my boat for comparison, but also the wake with just me in the boat.

Hope that helps in some way.

Mark

I've got a Fly High X-Pole not shown
Upload

This is at about 20mph / 2600rpm
Upload

(Message edited by goerlich on June 21, 2007)
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-21-2007, 7:12 AM Reply   
Thanks for the props, Mark! Pay attention to fuel consumption with the extra weight. I was way off last weekend and ended up running out as we coasted to the dock. ALSO, there is a plug for the front of the boat! I had no clue. Wakepirate found it at his shop this week and you should have seen the water running out! If you open the engine hatch and look up and under towards the front of the boat, you'll see it.
I like the two up front idea as well. You get a longer, firmer wake and not as much engine to get on plane. Regardless, the bow will always be low, especially in the DX or an older Moomba.
Anyway, like Mark said:
150lbs up front - under and around a sub. Also nearly impossible to move.
100lbs under the rear seat
440 sac on each side of the engine
So that's only a total of what? 1130lbs? But all I think the boat can handle with such a low water line.
A moot point but also a battery under the passenger and in front of the driver's kick plate. The wake is surprisingly legit with that and four people. I'll take some pics now that it's dialed in.
There is a guy on here who makes lead weight in pvc tubes. I would like to try that set-up but maintenance issues have bogged me down lately.
Look out for rollers!
Old     (beisbol20)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
i too have a closed bow older malibu skier. i only have a small opening behind the observers seat to get into the bow. got 2 amps, my anchor, extra ropes, & 8 life jackets so no more room. i do have a fat seat, 540# sac, 2 85# blocks, and a 150# block. i found i can throw a pretty good wake with this:
front--150#infront of the motor hatch w/ 2 85# blocks.
back--at least the 540# sac with 2 people or fat seat (600-1200#)
Old     (ffmedic)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-21-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
i have a 90 sanger dx also...heres what im rolling...1200 fat seat in the rear...and 500 in the nose.. and had to re prop the boat ...rolling the 913 acme prop....and still not big enough...haha...actually its good to learn on and very abrupt wake...