Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (dgoulet)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-12-2008, 2:21 PM Reply   
I am about to buy a used boat and I would like to hear your opinions on which one I should go for. Here are the two boats I am considering. 1998 Malibu Sunsetter LX, 287 hours, clean interior and exterior, monsoon engine, wedge, fly high pole with speakers and racks. The other one is a 1997 Sport Nautique, 600 hours, Monster Tower and Racks, Perfect Pass, new interior speakers. Interior and exterior not in great shape. Both are priced exactly the same and I will use it only for wakeboarding and wakesurfing. Let me know what you think as far as wake, reliability, resale value, etc...
Thanks in advance.
David Goulet
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-12-2008, 3:17 PM Reply   
If the sport nautique doesn't look like it was taken care of I wouldn't even think about buying it. Especially since the malibu is newer, less than half the hours and has the wedge. You will have plenty of power with the monsoon no matter how much weight you put in it.
Old     (05elitevc4)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-12-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
i would go with a newer and BETTER TAKEN CARE OF boat anyday of the week.
Old     (dgoulet)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-12-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
thanks for the answers. anyone else got an opinion on these two boats?
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-12-2008, 6:50 PM Reply   
My opinion is not boat specific. If the 97 Nautique has a beat interior, maybe the owner will come down more. Just a thought. I'm not sure where these boats are or how they have been treated but it is not hard to believe that any 10 year old boat will need some vinyl work. This includes the Malibu. What I'm sayin is that 98 may have a clean interior, but it is a clean 10 year old interior which means you'll likely have some interior work to do in the next few years.
Old     (madison_boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-12-2008, 7:29 PM Reply   
One thing to be worried about is the OVERLY low hours on the Malibu. Only 270 hours in 10 years (ten summers, that is). That's only 27 hours per year. I wonder how many years it just sat. Make sure you drive and ride behind both of them before buying!
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-12-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
I'm a big fan of the Nauti Sport, if it's just a little beat up and not thrashed, then you've got some fun winter work to do, but nothing to serious!!
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-13-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
didn't mention if the bu has PP, if not your def going to want to add it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-13-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
Like Brian pointed out, if the Malibu has just sat at all, you could have dry rot problems. Check the threads in the upholstery & boat cover. Plan on replacing hoses & belts almost immediately.

Both are nice boats. Consider how handy you are & where your dealers are located. I'd be looking at the Malibu hard.
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-18-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
I wouldn't look at either. The Malibu doesn't have alot of hours on it for that year, which could be good, but tells me it's sat around alot.

The Nautique doesn't sound well taken care of. As a rule, any kind of neglect to the interior is multiplied in the mechanical.

Try Craigslist, OnlyInboards, Boat Trader, or other sites and you'll find a sweet deal somewhere. It's still early enough to get a good deal. Good luck.