Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (zeus12)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-30-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
Just bought a 99' x-star. It doesnt have PP and it is definately a feature i will be looking into. What I can expect to pay for it with installation? What options are out there? Thanks alot
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-30-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
$1100, plus $400 to install would be the average.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-30-2006, 4:41 PM Reply   
I paid $999 and am installing it myself.
Old     (smackus)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-30-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
I got a quote from my local MC dealer and they wanted 1100 plus 100 install for the PP wakeboard pro
Old     (zeus12)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-31-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, My next question, Has anybody had Perfect pass installed on a 99' x-star? If so, how well does it hold speed? Is it worth the purchase?
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-31-2006, 9:50 AM Reply   
Don't have it on an x-star but it is well worth the money.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-31-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
Zeus:

If it is installed and setup properly it will hold speed very well.

"installed properly" includes mounting the paddle wheel sensor where it will get a clean flow of water that isn't messed up from turbulance from the fins or other through hull fittings. Even better if the flow of water is consistant while turning (which is isn't on my boat.....)

Setup properly is something that the dealer/installer can only take a guess at but you will need to fine tune once you have the boat out on the water. There are a couple of parameters you can adjust in the Perfect Pass memory. The primary one adjusts the "gain". Too low and the boat will be very sluggish to compensate for speed errors. Too high and it will overshoot, constantly speeding up and slowing down.

Is it worth it??
Absolutly!
Old     (wakemaniac69)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-10-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
I wouldn't want to ride without if after having it installed into my 1980 Ski Nautique. It holds the speed and will improve you riding. Wakeboarding is all about timing. It's worth it.
Old     (wakeclt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-11-2006, 9:12 AM Reply   
I have a 2000 X-Star, which is essentially the exact same boat (motor, hull, tower, etc.). We had PP installed for about the same price as you see above. Wouldn't own another boat without it. Remember that the older x-Stars are the same hull (more or less) as the new X1's.

Good point about mounting the paddle wheel as near to center as possible. We had ours mounted about 6 inches off center (we didn't watch the dealer install), and we get significant difference in speed when turning different directions.
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-11-2006, 9:20 AM Reply   
Do it, but definately get a newer version. I have an original Digital pro and I am thinking about updrading. Best investment ever...
Old     (zeus12)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-11-2006, 10:41 AM Reply   
I ended up finding some issues with the 99 x-star when i got it inspected....actually worked out because i came across 2000 with half the hours, wrap around seating, tandem trailer and perfect pass already on it for $1500 less than i was going to pay for the 99....thanks for the feedback though
Old     (wakemaniac69)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-11-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
I mounted mine directly opposite my water intake for the engine, my speed thru corners is very accurate. I've also found if you corner a little softer (not such a sharp turn) PP stays on line and will pull thru without haveing to throttle or reset. Works great.