Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 25, 2006

Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2006, 1:51 PM Reply   
hey
does anybody not live on a lake but still wakeboard and are actually pretty good? i dont live on a lake but i live close to the river and have a cottage about 3 hours away. does anyone have advice for me about how i can get better? etc.
thanks
dane
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       04-17-2006, 2:06 PM Reply   
Dane, Most of us on here don't live on lakes, and a lot of ppl on WW are SICK riders. As for how to get better, ride as much as you can with ppl that will push you, and push your self!! Most of all HAVE FUN!! Good Luck!
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
thank big papa
i didnt realize that most dont live on lakes. i thought a lot did.
thanks for the advice tho.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-17-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
anderew akinson (sp?)
he started not even having a wake board, and driving everywhere to get rides.
Old    live2wakeboard            04-17-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
You can do things at home too. Like if you have a trampoline tie a wakeboard rope to a tree and practice you handle pass. You can just be creative on things that you think could be helpful to you on the water.
Lucky T
Old     (pilot_ryder)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2006, 5:49 PM Reply   
i dont
Old     (ridetilldeath)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-17-2006, 6:04 PM Reply   
or buy an indo board
helps with balance alot!!!!
but helps with tricks more for wakeskating than wakeboarding
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2006, 6:11 PM Reply   
thanks guys! u guys are real helpful!!!!
i didnt know andrew adkinson grew not even having a wakeboard.

Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-22-2006, 12:15 PM Reply   
I still live 3 hours from the lake. Our family has commuted to lakes over the last 23 years of my life. Our home lake is 3 hours away still, and we've been regulars there over the last 13 years. I've been lucky enough to be able to spend the past four summers living at the lake through the camp; but can say that it was possible to advance my riding even with the distance barrier. I'd say that having to travel to a lake makes it more special and your riding time becomes more productive. I can say that not living on a lake all year, give me a passion that I don't believe would exist if wakeboarding were so easily accessible. I can also say that trampoline work can help a lot in the off season.
I also know that arron aubrey, daniel doud, cody ramsey and other pro riders all have to make large commutes to the lake.
mike schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-22-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
wow
is that the real mike schwenne?
i was just watching u on fuel tv
i had no idea someone as good as yourself would not live on a lake. when did u start wakeboarding? and how long were u wakeboarding when u got pro?
dane
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-22-2006, 4:07 PM Reply   
I dont live on the lake. I live about 10 minutes away towing a boat. I am no pro, but I ride advanced/outlaw at tournaments.
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-22-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
dane... if your impressed with teh real mike schwenne posting... wait till you see a post from the real shaun murray (no offence mike)
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-22-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
lol
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-22-2006, 9:29 PM Reply   
I'm 3 and a half hours from my home lake and it makes being on the water all that much more exciting. If I had the opportunity to go every day it would not be the same.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-22-2006, 10:30 PM Reply   
Its not where you live, its how committed you are. if you have a passion for riding you will make it happen. A great place to start is the Find a Third Forum, I've met and ridden with some of my closest friends from this website. You like wakeboarding, then get on it and make it work!!
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-22-2006, 11:02 PM Reply   
oh and my boat is 2 1/2 hours away from me... is it a wonder that when the ice breaks im working for friday nights... last year i missed 2 weekends out at the lake, 1 was for a wakeboard tourney, and the other was for the champ car race, i even told a friend last year to find a replacement for me in the wedding party because they bumped the date into june from the start of may when i said i would do it... when he asked me why i just looked at him like he was stupid and then he realised what he had just said
Old     (mike_schwenne)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-23-2006, 12:06 PM Reply   
Dane,
I started wakeboarding back in 92 or 93. I was around 10yrs old, riding behind a ski boat and no pylon. I remember when pylons came out and I had to make my dad cut a hole in his bimini top...that was funny. It actually took me 2 summers to clear the wake, i was a bit of a weekend warrior and didn't get much time on the water back then. I was hooked once spray came out, and I'd beg my mom to start taking me to the lake even in the winter time. I learned all of my trick up until 1999 on a boat with a 6" wake, that was about to sink because all the weight I was putting in it(water at the rubrail). In 2000 I got a loan on my first wakeboard boat...man, what a difference. All those years on a small wake forced me to have good form...but once I got on a real wake it was so much easier to learn tricks.
Living off the lake forces you to cross train...trampoline, snowboarding, mountain biking, surfing, skating...
Mike Schwenne
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-23-2006, 12:30 PM Reply   
hell ya! good ish thats the west coast way, talk about doin it 4 yourself
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-23-2006, 1:52 PM Reply   
mike
that is pretty crazy. we got our ski boat last year when i was 12. i got up first try and did a heelside w2w jump yesterday. it was pretty sweet. im thinkin about comin out to ur camp for my 8th grade graduation!
dane
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-23-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
mike
that is pretty crazy. we got our wakeboard boat last year when i was 12. i got up first try and did a heelside w2w jump yesterday. it was pretty sweet. im thinkin about comin out to ur camp for my 8th grade graduation!
dane
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-23-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
mike
that is pretty crazy. we got our wakeboard boat last year when i was 12. i got up first try. and did a heelside w2w jump yesterday. it was pretty sweet. im thinkin about comin out to ur camp for my 8th grade graduation!
dane
Old     (oopsds92)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-23-2006, 1:54 PM Reply   
whoops
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-23-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
hahahaa