Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (nkknutson)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-08-2011, 5:40 AM Reply   
I have been doing a lot of research the last year and now my family finally sold our I/O and we’re ready to buy a V drive. We want to upgrade to a V drive mainly due to the increased room and a bigger wake for surfing. We wakeboard and slalom ski and enjoy the midafternoon tubing. We do have a tight budget, well it’s not that bad just can’t afford anything within the last few year. We are looking to spend $25K - $30K and it is import to us that we can still slalom ski behind our new boat, no 23ft boat for me.

Currently I’m looking at two boats that I might need to act fast on, I’m looking at a 2006 Moomba Outback V which has most of the options except perfect pass, tower racks & speakers for ~$28K and of course the other one is just outside my predetermined budget. It’s a 2007 MasterCraft X-1 which has all the bells and whistles and included the stuff that the Moomba does not and it cost $31K maybe try to get is for $30. Both boats come with a tandem trailer, cover, and have around ~230 hours on them.

So is this a no brainer….spend the extra $3K for the MasterCraft and other few extras?

I have only ridden behind one V drive and that was a 2009 Centurion ENZO 23ft boat this last summer, which had a sick wake for wakeboarding and surfing but I don’t think I would even try and waterski behind that boat. So what is the X-1 wake going to be like? I have read a lot of different threads and see mixed reviews….remember I’m not a professional I’m just trying to clear the wake and enjoy the sun.

Sorry for the loaded post but I have a lot of questions on my mind. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-08-2011, 6:01 AM Reply   
yep, it's a no brainer. X1 wake will be very ski-able.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-08-2011, 6:31 AM Reply   
Adding necessary equipment to the OBV will put it as the same price as the X1. OBV at that price is not a great deal. Pull the trigger on the MC or keep shopping
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-08-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
Perfect pass alone will cost over a grand.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-08-2011, 8:33 AM Reply   
Go with the loaded up X-1. Like already stated adding the stuff to the Moomba is going to put it at the same price as the MC.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-08-2011, 9:15 AM Reply   
Does the X-1 have crazy high hours? Is it in bad condition? I'm only asking because $31K for a 2007 X-1 is a crazy low price.
Old     (nkknutson)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-08-2011, 9:16 AM Reply   
Can you guys either explain or point me to the right directions to see what the differences are between the following:

X-10; X-1; and X2.....it seems like when i look them up they are almost the exact same boat. I think we are going to go with the X-1; I have an appointment to see the boat this weekend!!

I was looking at the 2003 X2 thread and saw those boats discussed there were ~$35K, is there any particular reason this 2007 X-1 would be about the same price. Shouldn’t he be asking for a lot more?
Old     (nkknutson)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-08-2011, 9:23 AM Reply   
I have the same thoughts....the boat has only 204 hrs. on it. I think it defiantly needs a test drive before I would purchase it. Can you get the "carfax" type report for a boat to see if it was ever totaled or anything major ever happened to it?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-08-2011, 9:30 AM Reply   
That 2003 x2 is the same boat as the current X1. IMO he is asking way to much for it(but it sounds like he is getting hits so..) 31K for the X1 youre looking at it is a really good price if it has around 230hrs.

The X10 is a different boat/Hull. The X1 started as the Xstar, then went to the X2 and then the X1. It is the same hull. I used to have a 2001 Xstar(same as current X1). We skied a lot behind it and ran it through the course a lot. If you have more than two people in the boat, the wake gets bad quick, but with two people it was fine. When you start running 36 the wake was really good for a vdrive, but there is a noticable bump at 28off.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-08-2011, 10:11 AM Reply   
No Brainer... X1 or 2 with the same hull. Great boats.
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-08-2011, 1:05 PM Reply   
The question I would ask myself, which one will have a better resale, if I was to sell it later on? Or trade it in…
Old     (nkknutson)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-08-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
Ok I think I get the picture X1 here I come....Hope it's everything and more when I see it this weekend.

Does anyone have any particular questions that I should ask when buying a used boat? I know all the general ones but didn't know if anyone has a favorite question or any question they make sure they get answered before they would buy a used boat. Would you have an independent marine mechanic look at the boat?
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-08-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
you'll get a sense of its care pretty quickly. ask for service records. if you're serious about the boat, i would likely pay to have an independant survey, others may disagree.definitely a water test.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-08-2011, 3:30 PM Reply   
I would recommend the survey. You may not need a complete Survey report done if the boat looks very well kept. Just make sure the engine tranny and vdrive are good with the mechanic. The x1 is a great boat . Look closely for sign of corrosion due to salt water use. You probably don't want to own a salt water boat unless u plan on salt water use.
Old     (chrisdurcan)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-08-2011, 5:48 PM Reply   
Get a compression check done of the engine....any good boat shop can do it for you
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-09-2011, 9:14 AM Reply   
I agree with the others that I would go with the X1 10 out of 10 times in your comparison assuming the X1 has been taken care of.

I know it is probably bad to throw another oiption out there but if you are looking to ski, wakeboard, surf, etc... the best boat you can buy probably is the Nautique SV211. The only thing bad about it is the interior is kind of funky because of the walk through. The 211 will throw great wakeboard, surf and ski wakes not to mention it is a Nautique so it is right there quality wise as the X1. It will probably be even more finished then the X1. It will be kind of tough but there should be some 2005 or 2006 211's for that price range.

After looking quickly my suggestion might not work out. I didn't see anything under 35k really.

Last edited by polarbill; 03-09-2011 at 9:21 AM.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-09-2011, 11:06 AM Reply   
Why are you against a 23 foot?

I love the X1, but for a family, it's going to be tight. You'll have stuff everywhere, tripping over each other. Great wake boat, but I had one, and they are tight.

Have you considered a Sanger V215? More room, great wake, good price.
Old     (nkknutson)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-10-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
I have looked into a Sanger V210 & V215 and they are usually the same price as this 2007 X-1. I'm assuming that the X-1 will be worth a lot more within the next 5 - 8 years therefore costing me less in the long run.

I have never ridden in a Sanger and can't find any that around my area to go test drive or else I would.

The Sanger V215 is only a 1' 6" bigger and only holds 1 more person than the X-1. I would say more times than not I won't have more than 6-8 people on the boat and in some cases 10 but then we're only surfing and enjoying some cold ones.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-10-2011, 3:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkknutson View Post
The Sanger V215 is only a 1' 6" bigger and only holds 1 more person than the X-1. I would say more times than not I won't have more than 6-8 people on the boat and in some cases 10 but then we're only surfing and enjoying some cold ones.
Correction:
  • V215: 21'6" long / 96" wide
  • X-1: 20'7" lony / 90" wide

So the V215 is 11" longer. But more importanly, it's 6" wider. That makes for a much roomier boat.

The 90" beam of the X-1 is that boat's fatal flaw. It is the reason it's a bad choice if you plan on having more than just a few people. It is a very cramped layout due to the width. Also, notice how the driver seat is practicaly in the back seat. And the wrap around seating of the X-1 never really makes it's way all the way around.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-10-2011, 12:32 PM Reply   
The difference in length doesn't tell the full story. The layout makes the Sanger 215 much more roomy.

6-8 people on an X-1 is uncomfortable in my experience. It is tight.

Can't disagree with you on the resale. The MC will probably do better.

I CAN testify to the wake on the 215. I personally like it better than the X1. It is cleaner, has a better transition, and isn't upset by uneven load, wind, and current like the X1. It's actually one of my favorite wakes to learn on. I ride well behind that boat.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-10-2011, 5:00 PM Reply   
Why does Sanger do the 45 deg. slanted observer's seat?
Old     (nkknutson)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-10-2011, 6:59 PM Reply   
I really like seeing these two boats next to each other. You guys are right there is defiantly more room and I think I like the seating style in the Sanger V215 more than the X-1. That extra seat behind the driver seat is nice.

Is it me or does the bow of the Sanger look really small?

Ok I did a lot of digging and I have a friend who knows someone trying to get rid of his 2005 Sanger V215 so he can upgrade. He says he has a decent offer from the dealership but told me he would sell it me no cheaper than $26K. The boat has ballast, perfect pass, etc.. So what is the consensus on this deal?

One thing that makes this process so difficult is you can find two boats identical to each other and they can be priced $2-$10 different than each other and most of the time the NADA prices are way under the advertised prices. Is there any reason for that?

So…..now I’m comparing a 2005 Sanger V215 $26K to a 2007 MasterCraft X-1 $31K. I’m hoping to seal the deal this weekend if the boat feels right.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-11-2011, 7:24 AM Reply   
Hi Nate,

I got your message. I couldn't give you solid advice on the price without doing a bit of research. I would use all of the online resources you can to find comps. Most people will tell you the market will determine the value. I sold my X2 for 2K less than I bought it for because the buyer wanted my color scheme bad. It was rare, loaded up, and ready to ride.

The bows are close. the sanger is a tiny bit smaller, and slightly more shallow as well, meaning the depth from the top rail to the seat cushion is more shallow. But I like how Sanger pushed the windshield and drivers seat forward to open it up. This is my biggest complaint about all MCs. I feel they waste a lot of space with big bow, and oversized V-drive storage compartments.
Old     (ShawnB)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-11-2011, 8:01 AM Reply   
Interesting pictures. The Sanger's beam does seem to lend itself to be a bit bigger in the cabin. I found another comparison adding people to the mix.

Bottom line: I don't see any 20' boat being comfortable beyond 6 adults and a couple kids. We've had the maximum in our 04 X2 many times and as long as people don't want to move around it's ok. After 30 minutes we have to go back to the dock and let people back off, though.

Sanger

X1
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-11-2011, 12:20 PM Reply   
J-Rod you hit the nail on the head with your observations about Mastercraft. I too wish that they would make the main cabin area bigger and tone down the bow.
Actually on the newer x2 and the x25 it looks like they have done this. iIt wasn't ever a big deal for us because we always liked sitting up in the bow but i know many people who rarely use the bow seating at all.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-11-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
Totally. The Xstar is a great example. Huge bow, huge storage, small seating area.
Old     (nkknutson)      Join Date: Mar 2011       03-14-2011, 10:19 PM Reply   
Good news....after viewing the boats this weekend all comments above were true but I just couldn't pass up this great looking boat. We sacrificed a little room for a boat that was in much better condition and looked down right sick.....

Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 1621
Size:  150.9 KB

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 1187
Size:  123.9 KB

Now I just need it to be summer!!!!!
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-14-2011, 11:23 PM Reply   
Nobody can fault you for picking that boat. It's really clean!

I didn't realize you're in Portland. I hope to see you on the water!
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-15-2011, 6:57 AM Reply   
Bad @ss boat! Good choice.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-15-2011, 6:57 AM Reply   
that is a sick looking boat and the wake is one of the best in the world - you will never regret that decision.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-15-2011, 2:22 PM Reply   
nice!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-16-2011, 7:23 AM Reply   
Gorgeous boat. Congrats! Its going to be a great summer.