Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (supraman)      Join Date: Jan 2002       07-27-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
I know this site probably tends toward action photography, but I'm looking at tripods for a 5D Mark II. I'm trying to decide if a CF 4 section Gitzo is worth $250 more than CF 4 section Manfrotto.

I know at this level of equipment, $250 may not seem like a lot, but that gets me a pretty nice start on a RRS ball head, plates, remote release, etc. Is the stability/reliability/ease-of-use going to be really noticable?

Primary use will be boat interiors (lower light = needs tri) and shooting boats underway with longer lens from land.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-27-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
Matt - check out the Benro CF pods on either Ebay or now B&H is selling them too. It's a gitzo knockoff made in China except in this case it's as good or even better. I've owned a couple different Gitzo CFs and now the Benro and for my use the Benro is just fine.
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-27-2009, 9:49 PM Reply   
x2 on Benro. Two of my buddies shoot with them. They definitely get the job done!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-27-2009, 11:18 PM Reply   
Are you shooting video or stills with 5DII?

I have the 190CX3 Carbon Fiber Tripod and use it primarily for video (Bogen 503 head for the HVX200), but I also have the 322RC2 Grip Action Ballhead for taking still.

Overall I'm very happy with my setup! Especially for the fact that it's light weight and I can carry it on when flying.
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-28-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
I have never been happy with Gitzo legs. I like manfrotto stuff because it is fairly standard and easy to get replacement parts. I THINK I have used the Benro legs before and they were a huge improvement on the Gitzos.