Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old    cacowgirl            07-08-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
(this will look like a dup as I've also found another wakeboarder forum)

Another newbie joins the rush. I'm Gisele and I live in the bay area of California (check that out -- a wakeboarder that doesn't call it "cali" or "Nor*Cal" )

I made it out for my second ever attempt at wakeboarding. The first was at Don Pedro Lake (Modesto, CA area) about 5 years ago. Gave it a few tries but couldn't get up on the board. BUT I knew I had the bug and I was going to give it a try again sometime.

Fast forward from August 2000 to July 4 2005. A friend invites me to join him out on the delta and give waterskiing/wakeboarding a shot. I felt like a kid being asked to go to the candy store and reply to the invite with a yes!!

In the morning I gave the dual skiis a shot. I could get up on them but not keep it for more than a few seconds... splay-legging, pigeon-toeing, you name it (I have video of it and its hilariously embarassing).

After lunch I studied him wakeboarding and decided to give it a shot. Try #2 I was up for a few seconds. By the 5th time I was keeping it going behind the boat. By the 12th try I was crossing the wakes and pulling myself off to the sides. I could stay crouched and apparently that isn't an easy feat.

Long story short, I had "polio" syptoms for two days, rash above my knees (will have no more of that), and here I sit at work practicing leaning and popping off the wake and researching the various boards, styles, and tricks!

We're going out again on the 16th, I'm looking forward to learning more and doing more!! And if anyone is ever in need of a 3rd person for flagging and riding, let me know. From San Jose to Stockton, even Berryessa or where-ever close to the bay area. Though I'm limited to weekends. See ya around!

Here's some photos...
going the right direction on Victoria slew shows the rider as a shadow

Old     (gypsy12)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-08-2005, 2:01 PM Reply   
Good for you! It's always great to hear about a newbie that's hooked! I started last summer, and I love it!
Great job on finally riding! ;-)
Old    jetgofish            07-08-2005, 3:33 PM Reply   
Congrats and welcome to the board ... I think I saw you out there this past weekend
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-08-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
youre going the wrong way on vics!!!!! haha j/k
Old    alanp            07-08-2005, 6:16 PM Reply   
wakeboard, check
vest, check
wakeboard, check
wetsuit, check
shorts?????????? ahh norcal fashion faux pax, dont be a victim. walk, no run to the boardshop and get a pair of shorts:-) welcome aboard
Old     (will_smith)      Join Date: Jan 2005       07-08-2005, 7:00 PM Reply   
my cousin went boarding for the fist time today and got up on his first try. it was amazing, he went 300 yards then fell, got back up again and started crossing the wakes like it was nothing. he then proceeded to surf the wake and get 1 foot of air on a toeside jump, and he landed it. then he jumped on my wakeskate and got up his first try also. the kid is only 10. it was amazing, he'll be doing flips before me!
Old     (mc_driver)      Join Date: Jan 2002       07-08-2005, 9:48 PM Reply   
Gisele,
Welcome to this board!!!

-Ral
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-09-2005, 9:09 PM Reply   
Gisele...way to go girl. Welcome!!!!\clipart{biggrin} I'm with Alan...sprint to the board shop...short or long boardshorts will do...they will also turn those legs brown. No really...congratulations!!!