Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-14-2011, 9:43 PM Reply   
sanger v 215 with black scorpion 330hp--in process of changing the oil...

where is the oil filter? Do have to take the engine cover off? The only filter I saw was the fuel filter.
Old     (helman)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-14-2011, 10:45 PM Reply   
Drivers side towards the stern. It is really low on the motor next to the pan.
Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-15-2011, 10:01 AM Reply   
thanks-must be a mother to get to....
Old     (helman)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-15-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
kinda of a pain- use a large plastic bag to catch the filter and any oil to keep your bilge clean.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-15-2011, 1:54 PM Reply   
Assuming your engine is a chevy 350, the trick to doing this neatly is after you loosen the filter a little, take a ziplock bag large enough to go around the filter and finish taking it off by hand with the bag around it. If you do it right, you won't spill a drop of oil in your bilge.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-15-2011, 1:55 PM Reply   
Haha Paul you beat me to it by one minute!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-16-2011, 5:23 AM Reply   
Once you get tired of standing on your head to change the filter install a filter re locater kit they are worth every penny
Attached Images

Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-16-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
Even after finding out where the Filter is supposed to be I still Don't See It. You dudes must be doing yoga every day. I did see an all black filter looking deal no markings whatsoever toward the cockpit side of the engine low on the engine - driver side. I am assuming it's something other than the oil filter. These engines must be car engines cuz you need to put them on the rack to get to the filter.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-16-2011, 10:49 AM Reply   
Nope,.that's it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-16-2011, 11:05 AM Reply   
Of course their car engines. What were you expecting??

I have the same block & oil filter & it's just not that tough. Open engine cover, open side cover, stand on your head & spin it loose. I do the zip lock bag trick too & haven't spilled a drop the last few times I've done it.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-16-2011, 11:06 AM Reply   
Here's a drawing of the block,you can see where the filter goes on the bottom right part of the block. http://www.perfprotech.com/store/ass...10108-110.aspx
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-16-2011, 11:11 AM Reply   
I think your Sanger is like my Supreme,the motor is mounted as low in the hull as possible,thus the oil filter is below the stringer and hard to get to.As is just about everything else on the lower half of the motor.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-16-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
Bill's tip of stand on your head says it all LOL
Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-16-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
Okay so it's the all black stealth filter from hell. I will train my pet monkey to loosen it through a series of food reward tasks that involve a food dish and filter wrench. Thanks again
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       05-16-2011, 1:56 PM Reply   
It is easy to find and loosen, I put a big trash bag under the filter to catch drops. The filter is on drivers side low, take the side panel off pretty easy to see. im me if you want help
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-16-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
Yea, the engine was probably painted with the oil filter on it so it's all one color (black?). So your pet monkey better be trained to recognize shapes.... like round cylinders that look like oil filters. And push his head way down low in the bilge so he can see it.
Old     (islander033)      Join Date: May 2008       05-16-2011, 4:38 PM Reply   
I see that the filter has been identified already. Here is a diagram from the BS manual anyways.

Photobucket
Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-16-2011, 7:08 PM Reply   
thanks for your help--I have the engine manual--but the picture really does not portray reality as far as finding the filter. This filter is far more hidden than other boats I have owned. With my last boat I had a hell of a time getting the filter off--here I can barely find it--I better not quit my day job!
Old     (mach90)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-18-2011, 9:14 PM Reply   
Hey Guys-

Mine (Sanger V215) looks like the Vdrive exhaust picture in Dennis's post ... Anybody have some words of wisdom on how to get the "upside down" filter off without creating a huge mess?

Originally I thought this was an aftermarket added on remote filter, but I gather from the manual that you guys are referencing this was an original design ... crazy to think someone wanted an oil filter upside down.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-19-2011, 6:44 AM Reply   
"I had a hell of a time getting the filter off"
thats where the oil filter wrench comes in handy
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-19-2011, 8:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach90 View Post
Hey Guys-

Mine (Sanger V215) looks like the Vdrive exhaust picture in Dennis's post ... Anybody have some words of wisdom on how to get the "upside down" filter off without creating a huge mess?

Originally I thought this was an aftermarket added on remote filter, but I gather from the manual that you guys are referencing this was an original design ... crazy to think someone wanted an oil filter upside down.
Upside down??
I think all oil filters are setup pretty much the same way....... opening towards the top. Are you saying that your oil filter is opening towards the bottom?

Location is another thing altogether.

As for installing a remote filter, I would check any of the racing websites like Summit Racing or Jegs.

But it'll still be "upside down".
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-19-2011, 7:52 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_airjunky View Post
Upside down??
I think all oil filters are setup pretty much the same way....... opening towards the top. Are you saying that your oil filter is opening towards the bottom?
Bill,

Check out Dennis' diagram above for the 'V-drive'...it shows the oil filter being with the opening down. Gonna be hard to change that one without spillage.
Old     (espritv8)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-19-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
That reminds me of my first oil change!! I did had an hard time find the filter, then when I got to it (kind of a struggle because the ballast are in the way) it was impossible to remove. At factory, they painted the filter along with the engine block, and that glued the filter in place. I tried every tools avalaible to remove filters, in the end i had to take a small screw driver, punture the filter side to side and use the srewdriver as a lever to turn it open.

Spend the extra money toward a remote filter kit, it's worth it...
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       05-19-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
Anybody have links to the remote filter kit? I would rather add that than keep standing on my head!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-19-2011, 11:31 PM Reply   
Thats insane.... definitely time to install a remote filter!!!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-20-2011, 5:12 AM Reply   
That is a remote filter from mercruiser.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-20-2011, 5:45 AM Reply   
If you have one of the upside down filters pop a hole in the top of the filter before you extract the oil this will help the filter drain and cut down on the mess