Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-20-2003, 7:11 AM Reply   
Looking to get a new board. I currently ride a Belmont and I like it; however, I would like a board that lands a little softer. How does a TFD ride in comparison to a Belmont, I heard it was quite a bit faster, but I would like to hear more comparisons. I am also considering a Byerly.

I rode the prodigy for a while but it's a little slow for me.

Yeah, there are other board manufacturers out there, but I can't get my *special* deal through them; however, I intend to win the CWB board in the Big Idea contest.
Old    isaac_d_funk            06-20-2003, 7:59 AM Reply   
So, you'll sacrifice finding the board for you, because you get Hyperlite deals? You might be gettin' jacked, dude. Try out other companies. Hyperlite's way over-rated.
Old    flipside            06-20-2003, 8:36 AM Reply   
So, let me ask this. Hyperlite Belmont vs Liquid Force Evolution? I have an Evolution right now and am considering trading for a Belmont. What do you guys think?

FlipsidE
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-20-2003, 8:47 AM Reply   
Sure will. A good deal is a good deal. I've ridden numerous boards and really it all comes down to.... company name. All the boards are so similar now days it doesn't really matter what company manufacturers the board - just find the model that fits your riding style.

By the way, Hyperlite is only overrateed if you ride Liquid Force, Double Up, Obrien or something else. Just because Hyperlite boards are mainstream doesn't mean they are overrated. They became mainstream for a reason, I would like to think it had something to do with making quality products. Overpriced, yeah, but that is a differnt argument.

My situation is: I may be able to trade my Belmont for a different model - Either I use the board I have or get another Hyperlite as a trade in. Just looking for more info to help me make a good decision.

If I were to pay retail for a new board today I would get the CWB Absolute, but thats not happening.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-20-2003, 8:56 AM Reply   
Brandt - How those bindings holding up? I just got new parks and I will be riding them the first time this weekend on the Belmont. This may be the combination I need for softer landings. My old 3060's footbed sucks. The extra .5 inch of padding should help.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-20-2003, 9:05 AM Reply   
rootc, you are correct. hyperlite is not really over rated. sure other companies have good boards, but so does HL. however, keep in mind it is "cool" to hate on the "big" company. gotta conform to the "being different" in order to be "in"

unfortunately, I can't really answer your question from experience because I have not ridden the new belmont board. I can say that in general the continuous rocker boards land softer (belmont, TFD) I know that the parks, while it has a huge flat spot, lands pretty soft due to the ridge down the middle. i have an older byerly, and its landings aren't too bad, but I can't think they are any better than the belmont or tfd. Keep in mind you might consider going to a larger board if soft landings are a priority. smaller boards tend to land harder.
Old    isaac_d_funk            06-20-2003, 9:10 AM Reply   
I'm not hatin' on the company. They do make good products. I never said their products are crap. I do think that their overrated though, with boards such as DoubleUP Nelson, CWB Absolute, Liquid Force Balance and Substance. As for bindings, I used to think it's all about Hyperlite. But now, with the new improved Luke Wulf from DoubleUP, Exo and Ultra Sucs from Liquid Force, and CWB's Zeus, I don't think Hyperlite's the leader anymore. Sure, they're the biggest, but certainly not the best. Not for me, anyway.

And yes, I rode Hyperlite...
boards:
Fluid
Drifter
Premier
Parks

bindings:
Moon Boots
Highbacks
Belmonts
Parks

It's not about being different. It's about having an open mind to other companies.

(Message edited by isaac d funk on June 20, 2003)
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-20-2003, 9:30 AM Reply   
my apology then, due to the tone of your first message in this thread and the direct conflict of what rootc was asking I assumed you were simply trying to be obstinant and hate on HL. being open to other companies is a good thing.
Old    flipside            06-20-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
rootc,

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get out on my Byerly bindings yet. I picked 'em up on Wed, and haven't had a chance to get out on 'em. I MAY try to bum a rid this weekend, but I really don't know about this weekend or not. As far as the demo goes...I rode a parks board with Byerly bindings. The bindings ride SO WELL!! I LOVE those things. But, the parks board is EXTREMELY loose. If u don't lean far towards the front or far towards the back of the board...or REALLY dig that middle edge, it will slide right out from under you. Now, I've been away for a while, so I know i have some catching up to do. But, I really doubt that it'll be on a parks board. My local ski shop is out of the Belmont Biolite 141's right now, so, I gotta wait for it. But, that's probably going to be my board of choice.

I guess I'd compare the Parks board to a high end slalom ski. Not sure if we have any slalom skiiers in here. If we do, I'm sure you'll know what I'm talking about. Riding a slalom ski straight is not an easy thing. The ski keeps wanting to go on edge all the time (which is a good thing when you're runnin a course). So, trying to ride a high end slalom ski straight requires some extra work on the board. Same with the Parks board. From my experience, unless u are REALLY REALLY diggin that board's edge in the water, then you're gonna find that it's VERY loose and will slide all over the place w/out a lot of work from the boarder.

FlipsidE

(Message edited by flipside on June 20, 2003)
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-20-2003, 2:37 PM Reply   
HYPERLITE OVERRATED??? You mean the company that spends a ton of money on R&D and all of their good boards are signature models is overrated?? A wakeboard company started by wakeboarders who support wakeboarding and the progression of the sport is overrated??

Obviously there are several other great companies making wakeboards and you should always be open minded about product, but to rip HL for being big is quite stupid and shows little knowledge of business or product/sport development.

Remember that Jake Burton spent years eating begging ski areas to let boards on the hill. He even came to the mountain I lived at and spoke to the homeowners association to fill them in on the future of snowboarding and make sure the mt would always allow boarders on it's slopes.

I just bought my first board, Byerly with Byerlys. Why?? Because it has lot's of skulls on it. Acutally, because my local shop carries Hyperlite, my buddy who introduced me to the sport rides hyperlite, it has skulls on it, and I knew I was getting a solid board that I would not be disappointed in. That and the fact that Byerly mentioned his wife and kids as his most prized posessions, that is being the "man". SO if my bucks go to HL and Byerly, great, as long as I got a nice board under my feet, I am happy.

PS, the Byerly stuff rocks. The binders are a bit slow if you pop out, but they feel great and you can adjust them while you are riding if they are too loose, they are easy to get into, no soap. The board is wicked cool with skulls all over it and rides like the Premiere. You can take off the fins and just use the built in side fins for a looser feel. That gives you options. Plus the guy who designed it and approved it has been riding for a while, so it must be OK, or maybe overrated. Not to mention I got a good deal and could take it back if I hated it and wanted a different board.

I hope that some day I become overrated too, that probably means that I did something right.
Old    beth            06-20-2003, 3:45 PM Reply   
I recently got a 136 TFD, and it is an awesome board. Fast but you still get good pop and soft landings. It also has a continuous rocker so it gives a consistant pop and good stability. I LOVE it. My husband would be the guy to ask. He's in the same boat w/ you. He currently rides a Belmont. He is getting ready to upgrade, rode my board once and is getting ready to make me go back to the old 5-0 so he can steal my ride. It's NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Anyway TFD is a great board.
Old     (matt_h)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-20-2003, 4:20 PM Reply   
OK, here it is. i'm currently riding a 01 belmont 141. I love the belmont, but after slapping my belmont bindings on beth's TFD i'm starting to think i want to ride it some more. When i rode the TFD the main thing i noticed was the speed. it is a lot faster than the belmont yet it slips out about the same on butter slides and surface 180's. and everyone in the boat said that my wake jumps and backroll were higher than they had ever seen me do. I have only ridden it for one set so i'm not for sure yet. i'm so used to my belmont but the upgrade on air is hard to resist.

Technical
my reasoning for the extra air is the ease of accceleration. you don't have to dig as hard at the begining of your cut to achieve the speed needed for clearing the second wake. so you can save your dig for the end of your cut which in turn loads the line much tighter at the critical wake release, thus giving the extra lift that we all crave. I will have to ride her board a few more times before i decide.

does anyone else have suggestions on a board that surface slides easy, has fast acccelaration with little dig, lands soft, and has a continuous rocker. i really don't want to be so gay as to have a husband and wife with matching boards (we already have matching wet suits)
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-23-2003, 8:05 AM Reply   
I might try a size upgrade. Go to the 141. The speed, edge, and pop is perfect for me right now. When I go all out into the wake the landings are a little hard. The new parks bindings help a little but I think the 141 will soften things up a little more. It really isn't a big deal but I would love to get my setup dialed-in as much as possible. I'm thinking the TFD is going to be faster than I like. Thanks for the info.

Funkster - I would defiantely test other manufacturer boards if I had the option to get a different brand, but I don't.
Old     (matt_h)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-24-2003, 5:04 AM Reply   
are the new belmonts faster than the older belmonts I ride the 2001 141 with the molded fins.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-24-2003, 9:00 AM Reply   
Yeah the new belmont is faster and has much better edge control. I like the new belmont much better.
Old    murrayair            06-24-2003, 12:33 PM Reply   
rootc- I am suprised to hear that your landings on the Belmont are not as soft as you like. I have a Belmont 136 and it lands softer than any other board I've ridden. I'm not sure you'll find a softer landing board. If you get another board I say go with the Byerly. It has big pop and still lands pretty soft. All the Byerly owners I've met are really happy with their boards.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-25-2003, 6:52 AM Reply   
I was riding a fiends premier 142 with 03 Parks bindings. The premier lands really soft. My landings seemed hard while riding the Belmont 136 with old 3060's. I'm thinking the bindings played a part in the differences that I felt on the landings. I now have 03 parks and the Belmont 141 is its way. I still have access to a Belmont 136 to do some comparisons.

I am going to compare a permier 136 and 142 to see if the landings are softer on the larger board. It will be an interesting test.