Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-07-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
what do you guys think of this:

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs...opstories.html
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-07-2012, 9:23 AM Reply   
Doesn't sound like he has a case.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-07-2012, 10:49 AM Reply   
Where is Sam Ingram when we need him!!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-07-2012, 11:40 AM Reply   
If he would have done it in FL, the police probably wouldn't have even pressed charges.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-07-2012, 12:40 PM Reply   
I'm thinking taking a gun over to someone's house over a noise complaint is a bit of an overreaction. I don't care how loud or how often they've done it, a gun is for self defense. When you show up in a situation, brandishing it like this guy did, you're starting the violence.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-07-2012, 12:47 PM Reply   
i wonder how many times he called the police and what the 911 person was saying to him on the line. He couldn't have possibly thought any good would come of taking his gun to the drunk neighbors house.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-07-2012, 4:06 PM Reply   
Thats pretty horrible. Looks like some pretty decent folks got caught up in a bad situation. To me he had no business "standing his ground" on someone elses property especially when he seems to be the antagonist. I can appreciate one defending oneself but this does not appear to be that.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-07-2012, 7:03 PM Reply   
What an idiot! If his life was in danger it was only because he put himself in that position. He shouldn't have gone over there (let the police handle that) and he definitely shouldn't have taken his gun. I don't want to say that bringing the gun meant he planned on using it (I legally carry mine everyday) but if you go out of your way to go get involved in a confrontation and escalate the situation, and you're carrying, IMO, your looking for trouble.

I don't know Texas law, but I'm fairly certain that just saying you're standing your ground and that you feel threatened doesn't give you any legal right to shoot someone....you actually have to be in danger!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-08-2012, 8:37 AM Reply   
Difficult to say from the article. The article tries to paint it like he walked over with gun drawn. That is critical as to whether this is a legitimate self defense shooting or if he was the instigator. If he walked over with his gun holstered, no problem. He did not threaten or escalate and it is a good shoot in self defense if he was threatened, approached by someone who went inside and came out with a drawn gun, or otherwise assaulted.

The article also does not specify whether the person who went inside to get a gun came out with it drawn or holstered. While returning with a holstered weapon might not be prudent, the man was on his own property and within his rights. If drawn, he escalated and threatened Rodriguez then Rodriguez was in the right for defending himself.

The article leaves out so many critical details and implies the situation happened a certain way when it in fact may not have. Did not watch the video.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-08-2012, 9:06 AM Reply   
watch the video, it seems the shooting happened soon after the guy made the threat to get his gun and didnt actually have time to go get it.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       06-08-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
No one was armed except the shooter. I don't see how anyone could possibly defend this guys actions.
Even if you're an ardent supporter of the "Stand Your Ground" laws, that should apply to the victims here. Had they gone in, grabbed a gun and taken out the antagonistic neighbor marching onto their property with a gun... no issues. That would be standing your ground.
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-08-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
silly texas hillbillies
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-08-2012, 5:31 PM Reply   
This video is blowing up! All over the news and internet.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-08-2012, 7:29 PM Reply   
I heard him say " you have a weapon"... Weapons don't have to be firearms.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/06/0...ise-complaint/

Either way, if he was truly in fear for his life he should have left. The anti's will latch onto this like a fat kid on cake.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-09-2012, 10:52 PM Reply   
He is the kind of fuggstick that is going to make it so none of us can carry a gun. I hope they prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law. He gives gun owners and CWP holderrs a bad rap.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-09-2012, 11:37 PM Reply   
after hearing the video I'd say the 3 may have, in fact, needed shooting.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-11-2012, 6:00 AM Reply   
I dont think this will stand, nor will it affect those who legally carry for self defense. This is a guy who went into a situation expecting trouble. So much so, he video taped it and verbalized word for word those things written into the law as examples of reasonable self defense. You do not take your gun over and confront drunk hillbilly neighbors for being too loud. Your missed nights sleep isnt worth all the aftermath you will deal with for the rest of your life. You may go over and ask nicely. If they dont comply, you call the cops and let them handle it, successfully or not.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-27-2012, 2:44 PM Reply   
I just saw he was found guilty ans sentenced to 40 years

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...210731482.html
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-27-2012, 2:58 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Where is Sam Ingram when we need him!!
Why would you bring me in to this? The guy basically broke every rule of carrying a firearm... I don't advocate anything that he did.

Killing a man is a hell of a thing! You take away everything he's got and everything he's gonna have.
Old     (Tucker_McElroy)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-27-2012, 3:01 PM Reply   
If your interested in this type of case, google Harold Fish!