Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (infantryman2oo2)      Join Date: Jul 2008       07-22-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
I have a 2004 X-star that we are about to wrap. just wondering if i were to sell my boat lets say within a year of wrapping it how much would the value increase or decrease on the boat. I am thinking it would increase it around 2K because the wraps are about 4K and you only ever get back about half of what you put into it. but just wondering what everyone thinks before i actually go through and slap the custom wrap on. either way i'm not planning on selling it and i am planning on wrapping it for sure but want to know what the value is going to do with it.

Thanks
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-22-2010, 9:39 AM Reply   
Depends upon how many skulls are in the design.

But really, I wouldn't buy art for someone else or attempt to decorate their home. Unless the wrap is somewhat generic it may limit potential buyers to people with like taste.

Hard tellin---not knowin.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2010, 9:44 AM Reply   
you only get return onwhat people want. if nobody wants that wrap no return. if ten thousand people want that wrap you may make money. the market determines the resale value . the more popular your product the better the resale.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       07-22-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
[QUOTE=baitkiller;1612158]Depends upon how many skulls are in the design.

/QUOTE]

This made me LOL
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-22-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
I'd think it'd be no increase to a negative. Most buyers are families. Most families don't like skulls. Even if you don't do skulls, if I were looking at your boat I'd kinda wonder what the gel looked like underneath and whether you were trying to hide something.

Bang for the buck, I think you'd get the most on resale with the boat as bone-stock as possible.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-22-2010, 10:11 AM Reply   
i agree shawndoggy manufacturers make what the people ask for . very limited market for LIMITED EDITIONS thats why they limit them to keep value up.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-22-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
depends on the wrap, I just secured an end of season buyer for my MB today and the wrap was part of the selling point for him.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-22-2010, 10:20 AM Reply   
Typically I would say it would not increase value at all. Just depends on the buyer though, but I would not spend the money thinking your boat will be worth more than other 04Xstars on the market. You never know though. There really is an a$$ for every seat.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-22-2010, 10:29 AM Reply   
I wouldn't expect the value of your boat to fluctuate higher or lower with the wrap. You may lose the 4K you put into the wrap. If you decide to sell the boat in a year and you are not getting any interest because of your wrap, you can always tear it off. But if I was planning on selling in a year, I would pass on the wrap.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-22-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Once you have the basic options, the ROI on nearly all boat options are negative and a wrap is probably one of worse for ROI - skulls or not. Not that NADA is the end all on prices, but wraps are not on the opiton list last time I checked. It might turn some people on or off to your boat but I doubt potential buyers will give it much worth when they try to figure out how much to pay for your ride.

Edit: If the wrap can cover some cosmetic imperfections on your hull, you might get a little out of it though.

Last edited by bmartin; 07-22-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: add thought
Old    mojo            07-22-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
absolutely no increase in value. the only decrease would be if the buyer wants it removed before he will purchase. your best bet is to take pics of the boat super clean and waxed before the wrap, and that way when you do sell it people will know what is under the wrap. why would you wrap something you are planning to sell? save the 4k and use it to pay off debt or upgrade the new boats stereo.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-23-2010, 5:15 AM Reply   
The wrap will not increase the value at all, could possibly decrease the value since it will (could) limit your market.
Old     (chris4x4gill2)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-23-2010, 5:17 AM Reply   
AtTheLake......... you bring a good point about covering hull damage, but if it is something that still shows, even slightly, through the wrap as an imperfection, it would make me very worried as a buyer about what other problems may have been covered up on the boat.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-23-2010, 6:50 AM Reply   
Adds curb appeal, but does little for the value IMO. Kinda like putting in a 20K in-ground pool and then selling 2 yrs later. It may attract more attention and help it sell faster then the house down the road, but you're not gonna be able to lump that 20K pool onto the market price. Same as those that list a boat with "10K custom stereo" .....i'd offer the same amount even if it had no stereo as it's the boat i'm buying.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-23-2010, 6:57 AM Reply   
Any savy buyer whether he likes the wrap or not, is going to use it as a negative to lower the sales price.

You could have the exact wrap on your boat that I wanted, but when it came to negotiating....I would tell you that it was not my prefernce at all and that the first thing I was going to do would be to remove it....all in an effort to lower the sales price.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-23-2010, 6:57 AM Reply   
the pool is a great example if someone wants a pool they will pay more but not what you invested. truth is it's usually more difficult to sell a house with a pool because most buyers don't want one or the hassle of maintaining it.like already stated don't wrap if your planning to sell in 2 years use that money for down payment on new boat.
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-23-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
I can't totally agree with TIgeMike about a 10K stereo not bringing a little more money but I do agree with the general statement. I once had a lifted jeep on 38's. This typically lessens the resale value. Luckily I had time and was in no big hurry to sell it. I found just the right kid in highschool that dreamed of this jeep. I ended up getting out of it exactly what i had in it. A wrap will most likely decrease your market but if you give it time it will tickle someones fancy.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-23-2010, 7:24 AM Reply   
matt g your right on the stereo. thats because the stereo has some value to everyone except a deaf person. most people prefer a high quality stereo if they had their preference.and the jeep example is like ice cream and cake. most people want ice cream with cake.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-23-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
^That is true, but the stereo is down the list a bit for me as far as what I am truly concerned with in buying a boat. If I was interested in a used boat and the seller said he had 10K in the stereo, I wouldn't even think of giving him near what he had in that stereo. To me, that stereo would add 1K to 2K (the absolute max) extra money that I would be willing to pay for the boat, and that would bank on if the guy had receipts showing that the stereo upgrade was recent and not 3 or 4 years ago.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       07-23-2010, 10:15 AM Reply   
You're going to get "what's under the wrap...damage, bad oxidation???? You'll probably be pulling off the wrap if selling.

If anything negative $$$ unless they're like 3D skulls
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-25-2010, 8:16 AM Reply   
I believe the current market value on a wrap is $70-$80 per skull and $200 per square yard of neon colors. That's just in the midwest though, prices may be different where you are.
Old     (frodady20)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-26-2010, 10:55 PM Reply   
Not sure about "official value" but I would say that since i put my wrap on people have been droppin offers on me! Not sure why, mine is nothin special!
Attached Images

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-26-2010, 11:14 PM Reply   
Funny, I predict there will be lots of "How to remove a wrap" threads in about 2 years. I would not touch a boat with a wrap job, just like I avoid affliction T shirts.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-26-2010, 11:40 PM Reply   
If it was me as the buyer, I would want it off before I bought...I just wouldnt like not being able to check out the gelcoat and really looking at things.

I think if you wrap certain parts of the boat, like I saw a guy on here wrap a part of his BU, basically covered a black angle stripe with a black piece that has the WakeSetter WS ghosted on it, it can look alright.

But like everyone has said, to each his own, if you end up selling to some Dbag who just wants to look cool and has money, go for it, most guys like us i think would want to see the gecoat first.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-27-2010, 8:12 PM Reply   
you always get offers when you are not selling. it's a safe way for someone to let you know they really like your boat. just go to sell it then they will disappear because they have to back up their words with cash or monthly payments.