Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2009

Old     (chillwiththebrosandkickback)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
So I'm almost done my winch and i am in the testing stage, pulling a skateboarder, and i noticed that the amsteel rope (7/64") keeps getting stuck between the sidewall of the fairlead roller and the roller itself! What should I do?? Has anyone experinced the same problem?

THanks,
Grant
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-07-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
i posted and i dont think it went through,
but,

i used the same line, and did the sskateboard thing, and never had a problem. what size fairlead are you using? mine is only about 4 inches wide and 1 1/2 tall. maybe yours is meant for bigger line/cable? just a thought. good luck
Old     (chillwiththebrosandkickback)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2009, 3:58 PM Reply   
Yeah mine is ten inches wide by like 4 inches high. It is much larger. The rope isn't actually going into the crack it sits on where the metal on the roller ends which dropes down a fraction of an inch to plastic. I think I might drill or move the two vertical rollers closer into the middle.
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-07-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
ya im pretty sure thats why. thats a huge fairlead. in all reality you only need your spool to be about 6 inches wide.
Old     (chillwiththebrosandkickback)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2009, 5:05 PM Reply   
true but i have 1800 feet of amsteel! hahaaaa but it really still wouldn't need to be as wide as I built it which is 12". Also while I have been doing these tests with the skateboard the blue ink is coming off on the rollers, which would mean...friction? Soo should the rollers spin really easily with the rope??
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-07-2009, 6:04 PM Reply   
its not blue ink. its like a powder. they all do that. after you get it wet and use it a few times it wont do it. and 1800ft? thats nuts.
Old     (chillwiththebrosandkickback)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
Alright thats a relief. I had another question. Do you think I need to anchor my winch when I go to pull someone in a deepwater start? Do you think I need to anchor the winch in the ground when I'm not doing a deep water start??
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-07-2009, 6:14 PM Reply   
ABSOLUTELY always stake your winch to the ground, no matter what your doing. think about it this way. is it worth having your winch you put alot of time and money into get pulled right into the water?

what size motor are you using? do you have a tav? what size sprocket?

do you have any pictures of it? i want to see this beast
Old     (chillwiththebrosandkickback)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-07-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
Thats what I thought. I'm going to put some eye hooks on it and get some chain and stakes. I'm using a 8hp B&S motor w/a TAV, and a 12 to 55t sprocket ratio with a 6" inner diameter. I will upload some pics tommarow....
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-07-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
okay right on. cant wait to see it