Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-02-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
Does anyone know anything about this company? I just got a call from a recruiter for EMC corp. He has a position in El Segundo. I told him I didn't want to work in El Segundo. He has a position in Roseville Ca as well.

I'm a big fan of this forum, hopefully I can get the 411 on the company. Ok, this is wakeboard related, because, if I get the position, I can move back to NorCal, and start wakeboarding again.

Please H
help!!

They need an answer by tomorrow. THANK YOU!
Old     (martinique)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-02-2008, 5:20 PM Reply   
EMC is a network storage company..they are the top of the line in their market

Corporate Profile

Second only to your people, your information is your organization's most important asset. EMC provides the technologies and tools that can help you release the power of your information. We can help you design, build, and manage flexible, scalable, and secure information infrastructures. And with these infrastructures, you'll be able to intelligently and efficiently store, protect, and manage your information so that it can be made accessible, searchable, shareable, and, ultimately, actionable.

You can also use EMC information infrastructure as the foundation for implementing your information lifecycle management strategies, securing your critical information assets, leveraging your content for competitive advantage, automating your data center operations, reducing power and cooling costs, and more.

In short, with an information infrastructure, you can avoid the potentially serious risks and reduce the significant costs associated with managing information, while fully exploiting its value for business advantage.
We help a range of customers

EMC works with organizations around the world, in every industry, in the public and private sectors, and of every size, from startups to the Fortune Global 500. Our customers include banks and other financial services firms, manufacturers, healthcare and life sciences organizations, Internet service and telecommunications providers, airlines and transportation companies, educational institutions, and public-sector agencies.
Strong leadership record

Our differentiated value comes from our sustained and substantial investment in R&D, our thousands of technical R&D employees around the globe, the industry's broadest portfolio of systems, software, and services, our ability to create total integrated solutions—all designed from top to bottom by us—and our commitment to delivering the best Total Customer Experience in this or any industry.

To strengthen our core business and extend our market to new areas, we have, over the past four years, acquired and integrated more than 30 growth-oriented software and services companies. We operate R&D centers in Belgium, Brazil, the Netherlands, Ireland, China, India, Israel, Russia, and the U.S., and manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Ireland, and Brazil. We hold the most stringent quality management certification from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO 9001), and our manufacturing operations hold an MRP II Class A certification.

2007 marked the largest revenue year ($13.2 billion) in EMC's 29-year history and EMC's fifth year in a row of achieving double-digit revenue growth. In fact, from 2003 through the end of 2007, EMC's total consolidated revenues grew 112 percent.
A global presence

Today, we employ more than 38,000 people worldwide, about 40 percent of whom work outside the U.S. We are represented by approximately 400 sales offices and scores of partners in more than 60 countries around the world. We have the world's largest sales and service force focused on information infrastructure, and we work closely with a global network of technology, outsourcing, systems integration, service, and distribution partners.

We are committed to acting in a socially and environmentally responsible manner and to being an attentive and thoughtful neighbor in our local and global communities. We are a publicly traded company, listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol EMC, and are a component of the S&P 500 Index.

(Message edited by martinique on June 02, 2008)
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-02-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
looks like emc's in the top 10 of tech companies.

http://www.emc.com/index.htm
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-02-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
They're also in a saturated space.

Is this a Sales position?
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       06-02-2008, 8:14 PM Reply   
I work for an EMC partner - although I am not an expert on EMC products, I can give you a little feedback.

I believe they have a hardware and software division. Hardware division competes with hitachi data systems - these two companies are the leaders in their industry.

EMC is focusing on enterprise content/doc management - the software integrates with the storage hardware making it a complete solution. This would compete with companies like IBM content/doc management.

Content/doc management is definitely here to stay and would say there are only a few major players that offer complete hardware and software solutions - EMC is one of them.

EMC has grown profitably the last few years. IMO Government, health care and education markets will continue to reach out to companies like EMC to solve their doc and content management problems.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-02-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
AG, Joe,

Thanks, but I was looking for information from people who work for the company, or know others that do. I don't want to quite my job, begin work for a new company, and hate it. I can go to their website, and read what they have to say about themselves. .... I worked for Intel. The environment was crazy. You would never know that from their website though.

J-Rod,

No, the position is site support. They are going to send me to a 8 week boot-camp, to learn data storage. They have an opening for a junior person in the Roseville area, that will go to the company, and help them integrate EMC solutions to their need for data storage.

That's about all I could get over the phone from the recruiter.

ed,

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. "Will I be in an environment that is on it's way out, or on it's way in."

I guess the real question is: If I take a substantial pay cut for this job, with the ability to make more than I make now, in the near future, will it be worth it?

(Message edited by boarder_x on June 02, 2008)
Old    atom_ant            06-02-2008, 9:42 PM Reply   
I had a professional selling class last semester and we had Mike Brooks from EMC come and talk to us. He was a friend of my professor, so it wasn't a recruitment speech, but he was more on the sales side of the business. He mainly talked about sales in general and sort of tied it in to what my professor was going over at the time. He did tell us about himself and the company a little bit. The way he put it was that they are, "The biggest company you've never heard of." Overall it seems like a pretty good company to work for.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-03-2008, 11:07 AM Reply   
I work with a guy who worked for EMC in the new england office. shoot me an email (see profile) and I will get him in contact with you.
Old     (aep6475)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-03-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
My best friend works for EMC and started out doing exactly what you will be doing and I can tell you how they treat him. GOLD! that honestly is how he explains this company to me. The school you are going to go to is going to end up getting your certified in so many different areas and you will have great advancement potential. I can not believe how quickly he was moved from a tech to a consultant and what the pay increase was in a year. After 2 years now with the company, his boss right now is pushing to get him another 25k in raises. Yes, he travels a lot, but he sells nothing (he does the tech consultanting for the sales people) but he gets nice bonuses and he has been very well taken care of. If anyone tells you bad things about EMC, I would love to hear them, because I can't see anything so far.

I hate to edit, but I would also like to point out that EMC bought out VMWare a little while ago and everything in the corporate world is going virtual, so I can't see how that could be a bad thing. I didn't quite understand the above comment about being in a "saturated space"?

(Message edited by aep6475 on June 03, 2008)

(Message edited by aep6475 on June 03, 2008)
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-03-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
As far as longevity, they will never be gone. They could be consumed but I don't see that happening anytime soon. I also don't see EMC in a saturated market. They fill a niche (which is quite large) for small to med companies who need about a TB of stable (multi fault tolerant) storage and possibly some of the enterprise storage features (but not all).

That being said I would assume their internals are a lot like intel. They are so large and multinational I think you will get a culture comparable to working for someone like a government agency.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-03-2008, 12:06 PM Reply   
Sorry to hijack,

Anthony EMC acquired VMware in the beginning of 04. They are 2 separate companies. I work in the field and I would much rather work for VMware then EMC only because virtualization is where it's at right now. There is potential to make a lot of money at VMware.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-03-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
don't get too crazy w/ VM. Too many companies release memos like the following. :-(

http://support.cognos.com/en/support/products/pdf/Cognos_Position_Statement_VMWare_CPM.pdf

Therefore I would personally rather work for EMC than VMWare.

Back to the topic of the thread though. If you really are getting trained to be a Field Tech / Engineer for EMC I would be all over that. The need for SAN techs and engineers is higher than ever. Everything is going to or getting SAN attached.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-03-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
Scott I feel you that businesses are going to go the way SAN, and my company is the process of implementing one right now.

Robb if your planning to stay for a while EMC would be a great company to work for, there products will have a steady demand.

back to the hijack.

Scott I just think VMware has potential of making a lot of money. VM and SAN's work hand in hand. Lets face it, Green is the way of the future, and if you can consolidate say 100 servers into 10, companies are going to do it and can save a lot of money. As far as Cognos, It think its BS. VM is just a virtual server that you install a licensed version of an operating system on, it shouldn't make a difference whether its virtual or not.
Our SAN will hold all our VM images allowing us to be able to have 100% uptime on the actual VM machine, but also allow us to make changes to a image, and then pushing that image out while never bringing down that server. You cant do that with a dedicated server
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-03-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
We do it all the time. Snapshots on the SAN let us do this with physical hardware. We have 3 copies of everything prod, dev, and QA. You could see how insane this would be with something like an active directory or BES server or file servers. For things like this it's fine to vm the hosts. On financial systems where cpu clock timing and cycles are necessary to produce VERY accurate numbers VM is not feasible. Hence cognos not supporting it. Their official excuse is that people expect them to be able to send an VMX to them to troubleshoot issues and they cannot accept them because they might not be licensed for all the apps loaded on the box. We run Virtual center and ESX enterprise the HA capabilities of this combo are pretty cool. It all depends on your environment and what the business wants.
Old     (jv210)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-03-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
Scott that makes a lot more sense now. I saw you are a network eng, and was just tring to figure out why you would say VMware is not a good company.
I also work in a financial institution, and our core system runs on a million dollar risc server, which is something that would never be on a VM.

Sorry Robb, I done hijacking your thread.

(Message edited by jv210 on June 03, 2008)
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-03-2008, 1:35 PM Reply   
Not bashing it just think a lot of people are too gung-ho to VM everything without thinking about it. It's possible to make the changes on hardware just like you can in VM. I think VMWare is getting credit for snapshotting and point in time system states when it's just a software emulation of what SAN filers have been able to do for years.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-03-2008, 1:37 PM Reply   
Come on Rob we miss you as a third up here. Get in gear!!!
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-03-2008, 6:05 PM Reply   
I let the recruiter know I was interested. Now he needs to let the hiring manager know. From there, the manager will decide who to interview.

Boot camp starts June 23. So hopefully I don't have too much competition.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-03-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
Good to hear buddy!

What headhunter outfit are you working with?
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-03-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
I sell EMC hardware and software. The company is very solid and so is the hardware. Really cool thing about supporting it, is you have the same mgmt software for the new stuff, as well as the old. So a FC4700 is managed exactly the same as a CX3-80.

To the Cognos support issue... Microsoft wouldn't support their own OS on VMware a year ago. All that will change in the future.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-03-2008, 6:54 PM Reply   
I got a call from the HR dept of EMC. I got the call from someone from a Massachusetts area code. (their home office is there). When I called the number back, it just went to the main switch board. I had to go back to my VM and get the direct line number.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-03-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
It's not just cognos. there's all kinds of apps that aren't supported. MS wouldn't do the OS because of the Driver approval signing BS process VM was kicked to the bottom of the list because they kept rolling out new drivers fixing bugs. We'll see.. hopefully one day the industry will provide what the customers really want and stop pushing these hairbrained products they're proud to sell but have no practical place in any companies.

Good luck in the interview process! I am always happy to see people stoked and nail jobs they want. Interviewing for IT jobs is truly an art lol.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-03-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
Thanks Scott.

I'm not sweating it. I'm going to pretend it's a Physics final. Either I know the stuff or I don't. I'm not going to cram, I'm not going to stress.

If I get the job, sweet. If not, something else will come along. ...
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-04-2008, 12:42 PM Reply   
EMC is a good company but they sell storage solutions that are targeted for each specific niche on the market and do not have a simplified approach to data management. Being a PS person for them would be good but they do not treat their employees like GOLD. If that is the case then why are 10 of our new PS guys all from EMC and they all state what a better place to work this is. It would be a good company to work for in that they are the FC SAN market leader but you will also be asked to implement solutons that are very complex and solve a lot of problems in the field due to bad scoping of projects from the pre-sales side. I have been called by EMC more times then I can count and have always told them no, not interested. If you are a young guy and looking for a place to start then definately listen to what they have to say and you can probably move up quickly due to the attrition they experience over there. I work for their largest competitor so I am a bit biased. VMWare is owned by EMC and partly why their earnings have been strong recently but they are a seperate company and VMWare in nature must be storage vendor friendly to not hurt their own market share. I would go to VMWare over EMC if it were my decision because their products are market leading and innovative unlike EMC whose products are long in the tooth and need some major overhauls in order to compete with the new up and comers in the market place. If you PM me then I can provide more insight into the storage market place so you can make a educated decision. I would listen to what they have to offer you because as stated before they are a market leader in their space and will be around for a long time. The latest rumor on the street though is that Cisco may purchase them but don't always buy into the rumors.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-04-2008, 1:29 PM Reply   
I figured you might jump in on this chris. Listen to what chris says if you're interested in this career path he is pretty senior in the field. Seems like all the storage guys have issues getting the right parts on order the first try hah!

sidebar: Chris you going to the AWA event this weekend? I thought I saw your rig last event but wasn't sure.
Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       06-04-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
I drive by EMC HQ almost every day. As the crow flies EMC HQ is about 1.5 miles from my house.

My brother worked there for 6 years. The company is known for paying well, being big, and mostly good, but for moving fast & furious with its employees. When layoffs happen they are devastatingly huge (as with any huge publicly traded company). I like my current job but my commute to EMC would barely exist.

Also - why is this in General Wake? Are you putting a cluster of EMC servers on your boat?

-Erik
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-04-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
I was at the last AWA event and my one buddy get 2nd in Expert and my other friend won Outlaw so it was a good day for those guys. We hung out at the Party Cove and then wakesurfed the rest of the day. First time to Pleasant this year. Not sure on this weekend's AWA event but will probably be up at Bartlett instead.

FYI - I got your guys order correct the first time and I even lent you guys 2 shelves for a couple of months now. Hopefully Rhodes wraps that up pretty soon with his sanity intact after that MSCS issue last week.
Old     (w00taz)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-04-2008, 3:44 PM Reply   
Yes I know, Credit is due to Netapp for setting us right on our recent upgrade! The swing shelf thing we owe you a beer or twenty on. LOL

The initial purchase though was a nightmare. Most customers who aren't into the enterprise SAN market get blindsided with the added costs of the software and such.

No dig on Chris because all the mfg do this but they sell a box w/ FC ports and Ethernet ports but you have to buy iSCSI licenses to use the ethernet for more than management and you have to buy FC licenses to turn the FC ports live (WTF???). lol. So it is possible to buy a SAN that you cannot use for anything more than a highly redundant brick sitting sucking up power and A/C.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-04-2008, 5:09 PM Reply   
Chris, EMC is the one that approached me. It's not like I can chose which company to work for. EMC has open positions.

Erik, as stated in my post, this is in the wakeboarding thread, because right now I work for a defense contractor in LA. There is no wakeboarding in LA (argue if you want, but no there isn't) EMC in Roseville Ca (Sac) called and said they have a position. Sac has lots of water and would allow me to wakeboard again.

I would just need to take a 50% pay cut.
Old     (escapade4k)      Join Date: May 2006       06-04-2008, 6:52 PM Reply   
Also - why is this in General Wake? Are you putting a cluster of EMC servers on your boat?

-Erik

I agree with Erik! If you are going off topic, at least give us something fun to talk about or a pic or something.
SoCal sucks! I can see why you want to leave it behind
Upload
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-04-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
Scott - you guys got iSCSI for free with the FC license so whats the problem plus you have CIFS support. We bundled everything you guys needed and more for a great price. Just ask Rhodes because FlexClone just saved you guys bigtime!

Robb - you asked for opinions of people who know EMC and I gave you them. PS work for them is a tough job and you will have to support 13 different products with different OSes. If you don't want an honest opinion then don't ask. All the guys that left EMC all say that they are much happier now. Just being honest bro and have been in this industry for 13 years so I wanted to help you out. Listen to what they have to say and make your decision. Just don't say that I didn't warn you.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-04-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
Chris,

I appreciate you opinion. That is what I asked for, and that is great info to have. Getting worked to death is not something I'm excited to hear.

You just stated I should work for a different company instead. I was just replying that I would consider that, except that I don't have the opportunity. I meant no disrespect.

In fact, if anyone knows of a defense contractor position in the Sac area, that would be better. ..... I have all my clearances.
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-04-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
Robb - good luck with everything and if you end up there you will probably get the chance to move up to something better since they are a good company they seem get cherry picked by their competitors .
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-05-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
hey Watsoc do you work for Netapp by chance?
Old     (watsoc)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-05-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
Maybe . That is not why I made the EMC statements above though. I know a ton of people that work there now or have worked there and that is the opinions I sent along. Like I said they have called me a ton to work there and I haven't been interested. Just giving my 2 cents