Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 20, 2006

Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-04-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
Besides the businesses running houseboat rentals at Lake Powell, does anyone know of any other houseboat rental options (individuals, timeshares with a single week, etc.)? Any specifics would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-05-2006, 6:45 AM Reply   
Do a search for Google, there are literally hundreds of listings for timeshares or shared ownership. If you are interested in shared ownership I would look for one with the smallest amount of owners’ possible, say ten max. That will give you four weeks plus some time for maintenance. With a lot of owners there always seems to be at least one guy who thinks that his share is really cheap and that the boat it is his "play toy". The one bad owner will trash the boat every trip out, ruining everyone else’s experience. Also look at the boat's maintenance record a lot of share owners sell before large maintenance is due. What marina do you want to be based out of? I can give you tons of information if you tell me that. I am currently trying to get a share in a boat with my buddy and his dad, I’ve been on the waiting list for 5 months and it might take two years to get a share. Get a small to medium sized boat, no larger than 50 feet and make it single level. The big boats are nice but have tons of issues. I used a 68 footer and it was absolute nightmare to beach and turn around.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-05-2006, 2:26 PM Reply   
The only ones that can rent a boat on the lake are Aaramark and the Indians built a marina at Antelope Point. The only other option is to buy in as a part owner on a boat. I am a part owner of a boat and the National Park Service wouldn't let us rent it out if we wanted to.

With that said, you can find some older (8-10+ yrs) boats that you could get into as a part owner for less than $5,000. You could use it for a year or two and then sell. Most will have annual maintenance fees of $1000 to $2000 and per trip costs of $200 to $500. That is still a better deal than renting. The key is getting into a boat that is taken care of and not abused.
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-05-2006, 9:00 PM Reply   
Good info Paul. We're planning our first trip and want to see how we like it before we commit to a full on time share. We'll probably just bit the bullet and rent (we're splitting between a couple families) and make a call from that.

Thanks again for the info. That'll prevent me from doing a lot of unnecessary research.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-06-2006, 7:46 AM Reply   
http://www.iboats.com/sites/execyacht/site_page_337/

That is a local brokerage sight that has numerous ownership shares available. Note, call if you have questions. They are not great with responses to e-mail.

I can somewhat agree with what Red said. But I think if you research it a bit, you may be able to find a 1-2 week boat with GREAT owners. Add to that, if you get an older boat, you are almost paying for ownership what many pay for one trip down.
Old     (moki)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-06-2006, 1:03 PM Reply   
Here is a good site for multi-owner boats, many of them are at Lake Powell

Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-06-2006, 1:42 PM Reply   
Yo dude,
Check out this site:

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-06-2006, 1:50 PM Reply   
Old     (mortbike)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-06-2006, 9:20 PM Reply   
i had a multi-owner boat for about 2 years, sold those shares and built a 75 ft somerset which is at antelope point marina,lake powell. my advice is to go to lake powell in the spring and take a list of the multi-owner co.'s managing boats. and have a look. there are some co. you need to stay away from, pm me and ill give a list and any other advice. michael
Old     (moki)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-06-2006, 10:03 PM Reply   
Red Sovine, that's funny. Sorry, I didn't notice that I was posting the same URL
Old     (moki)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-06-2006, 10:18 PM Reply   
Pic from our last Lake Powell house boat trip up Knowles Canyon:

Upload
Upload
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-07-2006, 12:40 PM Reply   
take a trip to see if you like it? Famous last words
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-07-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
Man I need to go to powell just to see it...love that pic
Old     (boardcrazy)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-07-2006, 4:50 PM Reply   
you guys have to stop posting pictures like that...it is so cold here and it drives me crazy to see such a heavenly place...never been there, but it definitely on the list of places to vacation.
Old     (o2binvallarta)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-07-2006, 5:27 PM Reply   
Mortbike,since you built your 75' would you consider renting it for a week?
Old     (mortbike)      Join Date: Feb 2005       12-07-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
no , as earlier stated in an above post it is illegal to rent on lake powell only approved vendors such as wahweap and antelope point marina have the ability, sorry!! although our current 75 ft'er may be for sale as we our in the final stages of a designing an 07 somerset 75x20.
michael
Old     (moki)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-07-2006, 10:58 PM Reply   
Does this help any? It rained on us one of the days. Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-07-2006, 11:30 PM Reply   
wow those pictures are absolutely amazing, i want to go there asap.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-07-2006, 11:35 PM Reply   
More stuff from Powell:

Upload

Upload

Upload
Old     (moki)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-08-2006, 8:41 AM Reply   
Very nice!
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-08-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
Lake Powell Web Cams

Bullfrog Launch Ramp

Dangling Rope Boat Dock

Halls Crossing Launch Ramp

Wahweap Area

Wahweap Main Launch Ramp

Wahweap State Line Launch Ramp

ALL OF THEM

(Message edited by san210Nut on December 08, 2006)
Old     (san210nut)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-08-2006, 9:35 AM Reply   
Looks like glass out there today!