Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old    crystal1            03-21-2005, 8:01 PM Reply   
One more boat I am looking at: a 2000 Malibu Sunsetter VLX. Has 800 lb ballast in ski locker built in and Wedge (1000 lbs of force) in rear.

I am no expert, but my kids are telling me that the Sunsetter is "... not really a Wakeboarding Boat.. We have to have a Wakesetter ..." . Any comments ?
Thanks
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-21-2005, 8:10 PM Reply   
Same exact boat as the "wakesetter VLX" with a little less bling/options. "Wakesetter" is mainly an options package i.e. graphics, tower, bling, etc. It will throw the exact same wake though.

Chad
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-21-2005, 8:11 PM Reply   
The Sunsetter Vlx up until 2001 have the exact same hulls. In 2001 the sunsetter went to the diamond hull or SV23D and the Wakesetter used the now termed SV23W or wake hull. Essentially you could put on a tower and throw some sacks in there and you will have a killer wake. Also if they really want the wakesetter, you can order the decals from your local dealer that will make it appear as a wakesetter.

Edit Chad beat me to it.

(Message edited by cbrown on March 21, 2005)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-21-2005, 8:55 PM Reply   
Kids are so funny. My teenage nephew must have asked me 5 times weather the new Nautique was an Air or Sport Nautique. They are the same boat minus the sticker... I ended up buying one from dealer stock, it had the Air graphics, the kid had an ear to ear grin when I told him I ended up getting the "air", go figure.
Old     (lakeaustinrider)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
Check my profile if you want to see how a Sunsetter VLX looks with Wakesetter graphics and tower. I have had the boat since it was new in '99. You would beleive me if I told you how little I bought it for. I have had very few issues with the boat in 6 yearsand close to 1000 hrs.

Very good value.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-23-2005, 3:03 PM Reply   
That ski locker ballast is probably more like 300lbs.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-24-2005, 10:24 AM Reply   
I don't have a great pic of my 96, but yes its an awesome wake boat. I have about 750 lbs in back, about 600 lbs overflowing out of my ski locker and the wake is great, I only use my wedge now for surfing. I got mine in 2002 for $23,500 out the door with tower and wedge and 300 hours. I have added racks, speakers, lights, graphics, shower and heater in the past 3 years.

I don't think there is a better value out there, maybe old nautique 2001's, but they are not v-drives. Let me know if you have anymore questions
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-24-2005, 11:11 AM Reply   
i also have a 96 VLX, which i've rigged out to pretty much what a loaded Wakesetter is. NO problems in the ~300 hrs i've put on it. i ride with several people that have really nice newer boats. mine stands up to the best of them, i don't freak out over little scratches, it's paid off, and i could sell it tomorrow for what i have in it.

Old    josh_tn            03-24-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
Since we're all adding pics here, I have a 97 Sunsetter VLX.

97 Sunsetter VLX
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-25-2005, 6:35 AM Reply   
Wow, we could start a sunsetter vlx thread. I did raise my swim platform about 3" to keep it out of the water when loaded down.
My payment is $207 a month and it costs less than $400 a year to insure and I have the same wake as a new wakesetter!!!
Old     (socaldave)      Join Date: May 2002       03-25-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
Proud and happy owner of a '99 Sunsetter VLX. Great all-around boat.

Just added a Skylon Tuna Tower. New bimini and racks to come very soon.

Old     (juice75)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-25-2005, 12:16 PM Reply   
Those boats look nice! What year did they start putting wrap around seating in the Sunsetter?
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       03-25-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
I actually prefer not having the wrap around seating. There is no floor space in the new boats. If you party with alot of people then they are great, but I usually only go out with 4 people max.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-27-2005, 7:34 PM Reply   
i also prefer my non-wrap. a 150 qt cooler fits perfectly along that side, and people can sit on that. you also have the versatility to put a fatsack there instead for surfing.
Old    josh_tn            03-27-2005, 8:01 PM Reply   
I believe 98 was the first year with the wrap-around seating. I too, however, prefer the open space if you don't have many people in the boat.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-27-2005, 9:19 PM Reply   
My buddy has a 96 VLX with only 275 hours he picked up for 18000 a few years ago perfect condition they are very nice boats. He has never had a problem with it. Im just curious though, we went out 3-4 times last summer no added weight to the boat and the wake was no big deal at all. In fact, I couldnt tell a difference from my other friends 18 foot SeaRay. Not to knock it, I love the boat but the wake didnt impress me at all.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-28-2005, 6:11 AM Reply   
Chad/Chris,

I wish you guys were right, unfortunately the 01 sunsetter is not the same hull as the Wakesetter, I know as I am selling one right now. Is it capable of a huge wake? - yes, does it have probably the best ski wake of any Vdrive ever built? - yes, is it a Pro level wake - not really. The problem is (and if you look close at the 2 different hulls you will see it) the 01 sunsetter has a slight turned down rail at the outside edge of the hull which is what gives it the great ski wake but mashes the sweet little lip the Wakesetter hull provides. Don't believe me? Try and find an 01 Wakesetter with the wedge, you won't because they didn't offer it on that hull that year. The wedge on the 01 sunsetter does boost the wake but it gives it more a walled up type wake. Now that being said Chris learned every trick he knows behind that boat (of course he will tell you differently) so it's still an excellent wake, it just takes more ballast to get it there. Mine is still for sale at Salinas Valley Marine and it's an excellent deal for an 01, priced very agressively because of it's hours. It's in good shape and clean however. Check out my ad on the boat trader if you're interested, it's actually priced less then some of the 2000 sunsetters listed. Has the wedge, MLS, Perfect Pass and a custom, one of a kind, Boss tower built specially for Chris by Rio.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-28-2005, 6:20 AM Reply   
Chad - I know you're not interested :-)

That last part was more for the guy that started the thread!
Old     (bigfaceplanter)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-28-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
Rich
I think Chad/Chris meant that 2000 and older Sunsetters had the same hull as the Wakesetters.

In 2001 the Sunsetter and the Wakesetter had different hulls. This has been discussed in years past........to death.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-28-2005, 4:57 PM Reply   
I'm sure it has, however you'll notice he mentioned having the wedge on the 2000 sunsetter he's looking at. I don't believe the wedge was ever offered on the wakesetter until 02 so if they had the same hulls why no wedge option?? (I probably shouldn't comment though on anything but the 01's because I really don't know about the 2000 and earlier boats)
Old    chopperrider48            03-28-2005, 7:15 PM Reply   
The seller added one after market

Im antoine's son
Old     (cbrown)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-28-2005, 8:43 PM Reply   
That is what I was trying to say. Up until 01 when they introduced the Wakesetter the hulls were the same. The diamond(ski) hull was found on all sunsetters 01-and after and the wake hull was found on all wakesetters after 01.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-29-2005, 5:09 AM Reply   
Thanks Chris!

I wonder how adding a wedge after the fact works out?
Old     (hyrific)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-29-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
I just sold our sunsetter vlx it was a 2001 and rich is absolutly right on all counts. It has the best v-drive ski hull around. as well as if you load it up the wake is big and fun. If you load it up with the wedge down you get a Air nautiqe type wake. Its really quite steep. only problem is when you have 1500 lbs and 8 people + the wedge your flooring the sucker most of the time. The funny thing most people don't relize is that the sv23 hull is a ski hull too. It was there older ski hull intil the came out with the diamond hull. Malibu didn't have a wake specific hull until 04 on the lsv and now in 05 they redesigned the vlx. So either way your weighing down a ski designed hull. as is the way it is with most boats manufacturers until about 03 or so. exept for the air nautiqes. That hull is deff a wake hull from the ground up. anyway that just my 2 cents.
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-30-2005, 1:52 PM Reply   
Rich, the wedge came on my '99 Wakesetter, it even has a big fat ugly sticker on the transom that says, "THE WEDGE". That sticker is about the only thing on my boat I would change.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-30-2005, 6:33 PM Reply   
I'd better shut up before I look any more dumb regarding Malibus 2000 and older!

My boat sold today so I'm stoked (good that it did since the new 05's been at SVM since last week!)