Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-23-2011, 9:23 AM Reply   
@ The Lake house we have a bunch of DARK wood floors they show everything and I’m constantly sweeping up. What works very good is a dust mop style duster; the swivel head works great and makes it easy to move the head between things and under chairs.

I have tried a bunch of different things including the Bissell Mini Vac and the Swifter Mini Vac,
Both don’t have the swivel style head so it’s not that nimble. And the Vac portion of the mini vac's seems cheep and works good if you clean the filter after almost every use. Its more of a pain, I do like how you don’t need to plug it in.

The tradition Vac doesn’t seem to work that great and by the time you run around and plug and UN plug it at the different locations

SO my question is do any of you have the Dyson Min Vac http://www.dyson.com/store/product.a...uct=DC35-IRSBL
It looks like what I need.
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-25-2011, 1:52 PM Reply   
I too was hoping someone had some experience with this new vacuum. We also have a ton of dark wood floor and my wife saw the Dyson commercial for this and now she wants it. Is it as good as their other products?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-25-2011, 4:20 PM Reply   
Im gonna go pick one up this afternoon The wife bought a New Dyson DC-14 the traditional Dyson for the lake house before I could submit my recomondation. So I will have both this weeknd to do a side by side comp. Im pretty confident the Slim line is what we will end up with. We have 99% hardwood IMO you dont need a vacume like the DC14 to do hard wood floors but we will see!
From what I have read, on the DC 35 slim line Most people love it for wood floor's Everyone agrees its NOT a vacume to clean your whole house at once. Its ment for one room at a time cleaning.
There is a MAX button "that boot's suction power" When you hit it the motor spools up a few thousand RPM'S more. The down side when it running on "MAX" it suck's the battery life to like 6 min's
it's funny reading the reviews. The Battery will last like 15 min's on normal mode and 6min on Max. So it's funny to read the bad reviews where people are saying "this thing is no goood it only lasts 6 min's" I guess they didn't read the instructions or reviews and know this in advance. They must take it out of the box, charge it up, turn it on & then discover the MAX button and hit that and leave it on and then wonder why it dosent last LOL Im guessing its like a Nitrous Button for vacume cleaners LOL. Ooo and the other Bad reviews come from people thinking they are going to be able to clean their whole house carpets and all with this. Ummmm Im not trying to defend it I don't even own one yett but before I get it I will have a pretty good Idea what it should and should not do.
IMO if you have a bunch of carpet you should not even be looking at this. The motorised head will work on carpet but short pile.

To me the selling point on this thing is its Light and easy to use, and the Swivel Head. The dust mop I push around the house works great. I alwasy said to myself If they had a dust mop that had a vacume attached to it that would be great. This is the closest thing I have found.

Another one that caught my eye is this,

Small light and super cheep $80 Its got a swivel head, but the thing I don't like about it is the cheep paper filter
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-25-2011, 5:08 PM Reply   
^Is that an Electrolux? (I have an Electrolux that looks very close to that)

I have a Dyson (older, similar to the DC-14) that I have had for 4 years. We have hardwood floors throughout our house. I have been satisfied with its performance. Just be careful and don't go across the grain with the vacuum. Also, clean the wheels on a regular basis as dirt will stick to the wheels and this will scratch your floors as well.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-25-2011, 7:47 PM Reply   
Yea it's a Electrolux.
It's light weight and inexpencieve but the downside is the Paper filter. As soon as the get it dirty they start loosing suction. Then when you clean the filter (dust go's everywhere) and you turn it back on you have to deal with another dust cloud from the machine. But for $80-$100 bucks they are a great alternitive.

I picked up the DC-35 Slim line today. I also pushed the Small Dyson and Large Dyson ball's around the floor they both move very well and I would say the smaller $399 Dyson ball DC 24 is what I would pick up if the Slim Line DC 35 dosen't work out.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       05-26-2011, 6:06 AM Reply   
I have a mix between tile/hardwood at my house. I've been using the roomba ( forget which model) for about 3 years now. I have dogs ( 3 boxers) that shed. I run it daily and keeps the floors really clean.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-26-2011, 6:28 AM Reply   
Grant, I have the exact swivel dust thing u posted. Works great. I almost went dyson but then saw that one and for the price i couldnt resist,. Had it about 4 yrs now. Not a single problem. Works well. If you have a larger house it might take a while.
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-26-2011, 6:29 AM Reply   
MIne doesnt have a paper filter though. Some sort of cloth that can be rinsed
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-26-2011, 7:42 AM Reply   
I opened it up and charged it up over night and lets just say i dont know if im gonna ope up the standard Dyson and do any test. For me and My house this thing works great. Its like a swiss army knife of vacumes. Its pretty i got up thismorning made some coffee and couldnt wait to try it out the wife was still asleep i was able to try it out with out wakeing her Nice!
Some things i didnt know. 1. The head is powerd. The Max button comes on automatic so you have to turn it off when you get going to make the battery last. The attachment tools attach to the wand so you can easy get after spider webs ect. It aslo give you the ability to get in the nooks and crannys you never get to with out bending over ect. So far im pretty impressed by it over what im used to using. I payed $299. Its a bit pricy. We got one of thoes stupid MINTS for christmas its like a roomba but it just sweeps. Its lame. Its going back. So after we return the mint and get the store credit we are only into the new slim line for only $100
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-26-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
Cool.... I've been dust moping almost daily for a long time now. Having a long haired dog and wood floors keeps you busy. We've got fur "tumbleweeds" floating all over the place if we leave a door open. It's never ending.

I was pushing for a big Dyson for our carpeted floor vac, but the wife picked up a Bissell animal vacuum instead. Works great, but I think the Dyson is definitely the top of the heap.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-01-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
I used the Dyson Slim line Vac almost every morning over the 3 day weekend. It works great. Its perfict for a quick pick up. Its nice to be able to pull it off the wall do a quick cleaning and then your done. No cord to deal with or closet to have to go open and close. Just take it off the wall and go for it. It would be cool it it could some how carry the extra tool on the vac itself. Going back to the station to get the tools is IMO the only thing that's not great. My wife said she was not that impressed with its action on the area rug's. I tryed it on the rugs and I thought it was fine. Its not a full sized vac its made for hard wood but it also works on rug's so It gets 2 thumbs up from me.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-01-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
Sorta relevant (but I really liked the story!):

http://www.newsweek.com/2011/05/29/m...mes-dyson.html