Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-08-2015, 12:27 PM Reply   
Saw this on video on the union site. The video is rad, but this screen shot made my laugh! My sentiments exactly Nick Dorsey!

http://unionwakeboarder.com/lords-of-swagtown/
Attached Images

Old     (amsterdamn)      Join Date: Aug 2014       04-08-2015, 1:09 PM Reply   
Honestly is it even that hard to be a pro wakesurfer? seems like one season with a boat like an enzo or something with a perfect wake would be enough to go pro
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-08-2015, 1:17 PM Reply   
Thoroughly enjoyed that.
Dope track.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2015, 1:52 PM Reply   
I've watched that video a bunch of times. It's my favorite wakeboard video in a long while.

As someone in the "wakesurf industry", I totally agree with these guys and their various instagram accounts about how ridiculous it is that wakesurfers make thousands of dollars at events while highly skilled wakeskaters and wakeboarders only make a couple hundred bucks even though there is way more skill and risk involved.
I know that wakesurfing is driving most boat sales and board sales these days which makes it logical for wakesurfers to earn more than other water sport athletes because they bring in more money. But at the same time, I dont think wakesurfers deserve the amount of money they are winning in comps based on the performance of the riders.

But if wakeboarding doesnt generate money, then how can companies justify giving the riders (more) money?
Hopefully cable keeps blowing up (boosting board sales in the boards used there), so these talented wakeskaters and wakeboarders can be rewarded for their efforts.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-08-2015, 2:20 PM Reply   
LOVE on so many levels
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-08-2015, 3:13 PM Reply   
Alway's love how people on here are so "hardcore" against wakesurfing like they are the true purists in the industry while you see actual pros wakesurfing all the time.

That being said it is sad that wakesurfers get a bigger payout than wakeboarders.
Old     (kevSML)      Join Date: Jun 2014       04-08-2015, 9:23 PM Reply   
It's good to see that some riders don't give a sh*t about calling out wakesurfing, even though their sponsors probably don't approve. Bravo! That's also probably why you see most pros wakesurf...sponsors told them to for that cash money.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-08-2015, 10:12 PM Reply   
Yawn. "Wakeboarders" need to get over themselves, who cares if people surf, tube, ski. Whatever. Enjoy what you do and let other people do the same.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       04-08-2015, 10:33 PM Reply   
Wakeboarding had its hayday when riders made the bucks, no? Times have just changed to wake surfing having its time in the spot light.
I think it's insane though how it can actually be a pro gig with competitions and whatnot. But
Do I enjoy a beer on the surf board at the end of the day? Yes.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-08-2015, 11:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Yawn. "Wakeboarders" need to get over themselves, who cares if people surf, tube, ski. Whatever. Enjoy what you do and let other people do the same.
This is what gets wakeboarders and wakeskaters upset. Daniel Grant is at the top level of wakeskating (and wakeboarding!) doing unimaginable things and in this comp he won $400, while Ashley Kidd can win $12,000 at a wakesurf comp for doing airs, 180s, and surface 360s.

Wakeboard and wakeskate pros bust their asses literally to make a name for themselves, but the industry doesnt even care anymore. It's sad that talent and effort are not rewarded.
Attached Images

Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-09-2015, 6:31 AM Reply   
Do we think Boat Companies are putting more resources towards Wakesurfing because it's something you can't do behind a cable?
I don't think Wakeboarding behind boats will ever disappear, but I do think that it will decrease to a point where the current level of boat sales would be unsustainable.

So naturally boat companies are flocking to support wakesurfing...because they see that as a large part of their future revenue streams.
Maybe it's up to us to prevent people from wakesurfing with their time by making wakeboarding more accessible/supportive for riders just starting out.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-09-2015, 6:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph View Post
Okay, so I posted this not to start a debate but to give everyone who has ever been frustrated by a wakesurfer a good laugh. I won't lie we end up wakesurfing all the time, especially on like a Saturday afternoon when the lake is a zoo and there are already 25 people wakesurfing. Almost a, "if you cant beat them, join them." I am proud to shred all the O'Brien surfers I can get my hands on (shameless plug).

But I think people here are missing a HUGE source of Frustration, Ben Amsterdam (amsterdamn) started with something I will take a bit father. I know that with my crew our frustration/angst is that wakesurfing is relatively easy compared to wakeboarding. If you can get up consistently on a wakeboard, most have no problem getting up on a wakesurfer. Behind most wakeboats catching and staying in the wave is fairly simple as well especially on a beginner wakesurf. And Ben was right it does seem like one solid season on a good quality boat does yield a fairly skilled wakesurfer. Because it is low impact, really no impact, there is no real risk involved. Now on the other hand wakeboarding/wakeskating takes years to get good at, and even more time to get to a pro level. So my feeling is that the real frustration with wakesurfing is that there is a sense that you don't have to pay your dues to get to the next level. No slams, no putting your body on the live to learn a new trick, no years of training, no concussions, no ACL's. That coupled with the sense that this was originally something to do when you were done wakeboarding for the day or the lake was to played out to ride a wakeboard have made more "core" riders ridicule wakesurfing. I know I did for years.

So all that said, I have finally learned to embrace wakesurfing for what it is even with all it's short comings and boats creating havoc on the lake while we are trying to wakeboard. As long as people are buying wakeboard boats and the industry as a whole is still profitable I am okay with it. I won't lie after a long winter, I am already looking forward to surf saturdays at my house this summer. There is something really fun about drinking beers and surfing with the boys that I will keep coming back to, at least once a week. But even on our surf Saturdays, we still get out at the crack of dawn to get some wakeboard sets in before the wakesurfers get out of bed.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-09-2015, 8:14 AM Reply   
Wake surfing= no skill
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2015, 8:39 AM Reply   
Anyone that can do basic gymnastics moves can wakeboard and do flips and tricks. All you need is a $150k boat, a private lake and a rich Dad to buy your gas and you will be an outlaw level wakeboarder in a season, a pro in 2. Every trick in wakeboarding is based off of a jump and then a flip or a spin is added to it.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2015, 8:53 AM Reply   
Here's the real question for everyone that is dogging wakesurfing, if it's that easy and you're so good at it, why not go hit a few competitions and make an extra $20k this summer? Seriously? If something was that easy for me and took no skill to do and I could make an extra $2,500 a weekend, I would be all over that! You can still wakeboard, heck, you will have all of that extra cash to buy a new boat or upgrade your current one to the max for wakeboarding and just sit back and let wakesurfing pay the bills for the real sport that you love. A means to an end so to speak.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-09-2015, 9:51 AM Reply   
^^^^ What timmyb said! If it's so easy, why not enter the comps and make the money??? Seems like a no brainer to me. Mitch, you can't compare Ashley's Worlds check to Daniels check from whatever comp that is. No qualifiers pay 12k for first, Worlds is the highest pay out of the year. That's just a stupid comparison.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-09-2015, 10:21 AM Reply   
Bro! Toss me a beer and watch me drink it while is "surf"!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2015, 10:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheadd View Post
Bro! Toss me a beer and watch me drink it while is "surf"!
Bro! Watch me do a Fashion Air!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-09-2015, 10:51 AM Reply   
Wakeboarding - a sport so simple that you don't even need a WAKE to do it! WHAT? Then why is it called WAKEboarding? Turns out all you need is a shortened up snowboard, a piece of rope and something to pull you around on any puddle, creek or body of water. Want to get really fancy? You can then make a big circle of cables around a lake that use the same principles as a ski lift and have it drag you around all day long, no boat or WAKE necessary!
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       04-09-2015, 12:27 PM Reply   
Wakesurfing competition.

The energy drink company's really need to support these to keep all the spectators awake, especially the poor boat driver.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-09-2015, 1:00 PM Reply   
I love these threads!! But you gotta admit no matter how much $$ you spent on your boat wakesurfing is so easy a old lady can do it and requires zero skill.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       04-09-2015, 1:02 PM Reply   
Since it is so easy to go pro and make money wakesurfing.. why isn't everyone making money.

BTW.. most anyone can drive a car too, but not many can be a good race car driver.

Last edited by allzway; 04-09-2015 at 1:05 PM.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-09-2015, 1:15 PM Reply   
Where's David analog when you need him to give the technical info on this discussion!
Old     (iShredSAN)      Join Date: Apr 2012       04-09-2015, 1:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Where's David analog when you need him to give the technical info on this discussion!
hahahahaha yes! I love these tpyes of threads so much
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-09-2015, 1:27 PM Reply   
wakesurf, wakeboard .Theres a reason its called watersports ,because its done in water!!!!!!!!
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-09-2015, 1:35 PM Reply   
Excuse last post I had way too much oxy.
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-09-2015, 1:41 PM Reply   
But seriously folks, it is what it is,which is mixed up Wakeboarding is called an extreme sport.Wakesurfing ?Extreme?I think pay should be comparable with how extreme the level of tricks are,Now if someone could balance a case of beer while wakesurfing or juggle 4 copies of wake brothers episodes well then my little friend you would have an extreme sport!
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       04-09-2015, 1:42 PM Reply   
While simultaneously smoking a big blunt.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-09-2015, 5:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Anyone that can do basic gymnastics moves can wakeboard and do flips and tricks. All you need is a $150k boat, a private lake and a rich Dad to buy your gas and you will be an outlaw level wakeboarder in a season, a pro in 2. Every trick in wakeboarding is based off of a jump and then a flip or a spin is added to it.

Haha...riiiiiight
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-09-2015, 7:41 PM Reply   
@miguel. for real... it is the most boring thing to watch or drive. Super fun every once in a while... but the most boring board-sport of all time to watch.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-10-2015, 6:12 AM Reply   
BRO!tiss me a beer and watch me drink it! Yaaaa!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-10-2015, 6:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
I could not disagree more with this statement.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2015, 7:06 AM Reply   
Tell us how it's not like that? If you are tough enough to survive fall after fall, faceplants, etc, you get to a point where you are doing the same exact thing that snowboarders and figure skaters are doing which are all based off of gymnastics moves. Again, sign up for the pro wakesurf events and make some money. At a minimum, post your video to Tige's MyWake video contest when it comes online and then give us the link so we can all see your pro wakesurfing moves. I'm sure you will win.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2015, 7:12 AM Reply   
Maybe it's more like trampoline athletes, tell me these guys wouldn't just destroy it on a wakeboard...
https://youtu.be/doDA3zT_V-o?t=1245
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-10-2015, 7:40 AM Reply   
Lmfao!!! Timmy's bout that wakesurfing life!!! Lets your nuts hang Timmy. I know wakeboarding is exhausting but it will make you strong!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2015, 8:03 AM Reply   
Hellz yeah I am! I'm all about that $$$. There's no $$$ in wakeboarding anymore so I am looking to make millions off of this new craze called wakesurfing. You guys keep collecting those $400 checks, I'm going for the $20,000 ones. You guys keep tearing ACL's and wearing your $1,000 knee braces to wakeboard and I will take fall after fall at a cool 11.2 mph. Hopefully I don't spill my beer.
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       04-10-2015, 8:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Tell us how it's not like that? If you are tough enough to survive fall after fall, faceplants, etc, you get to a point where you are doing the same exact thing that snowboarders and figure skaters are doing which are all based off of gymnastics moves. Again, sign up for the pro wakesurf events and make some money. At a minimum, post your video to Tige's MyWake video contest when it comes online and then give us the link so we can all see your pro wakesurfing moves. I'm sure you will win.
1) Assuming that the average person even knows "basic gymnastic moves" is pretty ridiculous

2) Wakeboard tricks are very different than snowboard tricks in most cases because of the rope. raley based tricks are not really possible in any other sport, and the line tension makes rewind spins and the like possible. This is pretty indicative of your lack of knowledge of snowboarding or wakeboarding.

3) Do gymnasts make good wakeboarders? Of course they do. They have experience being upside down, and their air/ body awareness is great as a result. With that being said, they do still have a learning curve as edging, line tension, etc. play a huge part in every trick on a wakeboard. Again though, I don't really understand your argument that everyone knows gymnastics therefor wakeboarding is easy.

4) Being "tough enough to survive" faceplants, concussions, ACL surgeries and the like is a heck of a lot easier said than done. I think I might have gotten water up my nose while surfing once
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-10-2015, 8:13 AM Reply   
It really stinks that there isn't more prize money to go around for all the sports. Such is life with niche sports, but I do wish things were different.

I don't really understand why the wakesurf prize purses are so deep. I guess surf specific boats have been selling well these days, is that where the money comes from?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-10-2015, 8:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Timmyb the new GQ Cisco.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2015, 8:47 AM Reply   
I can't believe you guys haven't picked up on my sarcasm yet. Maybe you took too many falls wakeboarding? How any concussions have you had? I'm being a troll on purpose and maybe you guys are too?
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-10-2015, 9:05 AM Reply   
I love trolling!!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2015, 9:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
I love trolling!!
I know! I was modeling my posts after you! I don't think I did as good of a job as you do though.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2015, 9:15 AM Reply   
In all seriousness, yes, wakeboarding is a much more difficult sport than wakesurfing and it takes some serious balls to do the tricks that the pro's do. The money is in wakesurfing right now, plain and simple. Wakesurfing keeps people in their comfort zone and allows them to do something that they believe is fun and not that many other people are doing.
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-10-2015, 9:39 AM Reply   
Wakeboarders = the new skiers. "Hey you kids get off my water!"
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-10-2015, 9:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillaxin View Post
Wakeboarders = the new skiers. "Hey you kids get off my water!"
"Hey you kids, stop being vag-i-na-s and ride 23 @ 75!"

Im gonna make some "Wakesurfing < Bowling" shirts. see how they sell.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-10-2015, 9:55 AM Reply   
OK Red, doing a kick flip, 3 shuv, 5 shuv, back big etc etc.... takes ZERO skill??? C mon man, you know its gotta take a little skill to pull these off? Right?
Old     (chillaxin)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-10-2015, 9:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamighazi View Post
"Hey you kids, stop being vag-i-na-s and ride 23 @ 75!"

Im gonna make some "Wakesurfing < Bowling" shirts. see how they sell.
Put me down for one.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2015, 10:01 AM Reply   
You wakeboarders just think you are pizzed right now, wait until the Stand Up Paddleboarder's start taking your prize money!
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-10-2015, 10:13 AM Reply   
First, great vid and great riding.

Second, the F Wakesurfers has to be because they ruin the water. The video even shows him pissed, likely because they are throwing rollers every which way. These don't seem like the type of riders concerned about prize money, or contests in general.

Third, I could care less about prize money and it's already vanquished wakeboarding, but F Wakesurfers!
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-10-2015, 11:03 AM Reply   
^fact! Imagine what's going on over in the fishing forums! They HATE all of us!!!
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-10-2015, 11:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
You wakeboarders just think you are pizzed right now, wait until the Stand Up Paddleboarder's start taking your prize money!
Eh let'em have it, its a fad, who really cares. Y'all remember with snow skiing was totally 'Old Man' and snowboarding was 'Super cool' kids? How about now? Young skiers are the super cool kids, and there are more 40-50 somethings snowboarding than i've ever seen.

It'll come back around. 10 miles per hour can only get so cool. It will peek, and everyone will want to see crazy flips, spins, and wicked slams again.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-10-2015, 1:14 PM Reply   
Hey I used to ride at 24-25 with 75' rope, but after 2 ACL's and disk degeneration in my back, looks like I'll be ruining a bunch of water for all these " hardcore wakeboarders" As I recall, wakeboarders used to give the finger to all the water skiers that would complain about their wake, and now their on the other side of the fence LOL, and FYI, I do share the water with waterskiers and wakeboarders alike, just not tubers.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2015, 1:37 PM Reply   
I think this year I am going to pull a tuber at the same time as a surfer just so I can trash as much water as possible. I am also going to get a big foam finger and make it a middle one instead of the index and I will wave it at the wakeboarders as I drive by.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-10-2015, 2:28 PM Reply   
I have the BEST Idea, to hell with wakeboarding, wakeskating, wakesurfing!

THIS is the NEW COOL!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD2bZNgDprU
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-10-2015, 2:30 PM Reply   
Daffy's and spread eagles for days!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2015, 2:38 PM Reply   
That's actually pretty cool!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-10-2015, 2:55 PM Reply   
Quote:

I'd like to see you become a pro wakeboarder in a season. That post made me laugh. I think we should all pitch in $10 a week so he can ride every day free. Let's see where you are at the end of the summer. My guess is not even remotely close.
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-10-2015, 3:08 PM Reply   
Lol!
Attached Images

Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2015, 5:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
I'd like to see you become a pro wakeboarder in a season. That post made me laugh. I think we should all pitch in $10 a week so he can ride every day free. Let's see where you are at the end of the summer. My guess is not even remotely close.
Probably closer than you will be to being a pro wakesurfer taking home $20k checks!
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-10-2015, 5:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Probably closer than you will be to being a pro wakesurfer taking home $20k checks!

Hahaha right
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2015, 5:39 PM Reply   
Well, let's find out. You start collecting the money and I'll send you my paypal address.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2015, 5:39 PM Reply   
I think you missed my post about sarcasm...
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-10-2015, 5:42 PM Reply   
I'm probably old enough to be your dad...of course I'm not going to become a pro wakeboarder.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-10-2015, 5:43 PM Reply   
When you suck at every other sport, at least you have these activities to fall back on!
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428712997.398178.jpg
Views: 2729
Size:  159.3 KB
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       04-10-2015, 5:47 PM Reply   
I saw your post about sarcasm. I've blown my knees out 5 times. Had surgery this winter. My wakeboarding days are over. I'll take up wake surfing. Will I love it? Nope. But it gets me on the water, it's not as hard as wakeboarding, and it's easier on my body. Wakeboarding is a sport. Wake surfing is a hobby.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       04-11-2015, 11:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn_rider View Post
I saw your post about sarcasm. I've blown my knees out 5 times. Had surgery this winter. My wakeboarding days are over. I'll take up wake surfing. Will I love it? Nope. But it gets me on the water, it's not as hard as wakeboarding, and it's easier on my body. Wakeboarding is a sport. Wake surfing is a hobby.
Try hydrofoiling. About ten billion gazillion times more fun than wakesurfing, and not hard on the knees.
Warning: some skill required though.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-13-2015, 9:10 AM Reply   
Hydrofoiling is pretty fun! I haven't come up with the $2,500 for a decent foil yet though...
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       04-13-2015, 11:53 AM Reply   
Me either.
Been looking on CL a bit and seems for about a grand you can find something used and decent.
But then: how to get it to Costa Rica.
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-17-2015, 2:12 AM Reply   
Wake surfing is like ****ing a fat chick. It's fun till your friends catch you doing it.
Old     (willyt)      Join Date: May 2010       04-17-2015, 8:51 AM Reply   
if i want to do something just a little harder than taking a bath... i go wakesurfing.
Old     (wak18boarder)      Join Date: Apr 2015       04-17-2015, 12:47 PM Reply   
I like To wake Surf
Old     (Redheadd)      Join Date: Apr 2014       04-17-2015, 1:14 PM Reply   
Lmfao!!!!!!!!
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-17-2015, 6:05 PM Reply   
Strap on a slalom ski and throw some spray every once in a while. It is good for you!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-18-2015, 1:36 PM Reply   
Would have been a lot more gooder If he did a big ole method, (slow down fps) mid air!
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       04-20-2015, 4:28 PM Reply   
Blah Blah Blah......Bitch Bitch Bitch about everything on this site. You don't like Wakesurfing then Don't Do It! Wakeworld is full of little cry babies. Forums are about opinions I understand, but if that is all we have to offer is negativity then why bother posting. Guess what some people on this website like to wakesurf. I like to do it from time to time. I know it is not easy to those tricks.

I would like to see half of the cry babies on this site that say wake surfing is easy post some videos of them trying to do some of the tricks the pros do without the rope. That would make a funny thread.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-20-2015, 7:23 PM Reply   
^^^
Complains about people on WW being bitchy little cry babies...
...Remains member for over 10 years and frequents upwards of 80 posts/year lol
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think we only have to offer negativity. Yeah people hate but social leveling and criticism is one of the main ways that cultural norms are held and established. My buddy laughing at my wonky ass touch-grabbed method is going to send a signal and incentive for me to put a little extra effort into making it look sick.
I have to be a strong enough personality to understand that's what's happening, and not tie my self worth to my current ability level because then I'll feel like my friend is laughing at me directly but that's just part of growing up.

We're doing the same thing with wakesurfing here. Even if the tricks aren't easy and on one occasion you cut your toe on a fin doing a kickflip, there's still no real sense of putting yourself on the line to stick those tricks....and it makes it really hard to care about/empathize with or admire the person riding.
Watch Rathy, watch Vandall. When they ride you can just tell, they love wakeboarding so much they're willing to put it all on the line to take that TSBS7 into Orbit or to hold the grab on a cab 9 longer than anyone else. That's what really stokes me out at least.
Required Reading

from WanderMan Media on Vimeo.

Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-22-2015, 9:35 AM Reply   
B (fullspeed) you just got told by a 21 year old who rides behind his daddys Searay! LOL