Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-29-2005, 2:54 PM Reply   
So I might have a chance to move from Chicago to Manhattan Kansas for work. How is the wakeboarding there? It looks like there are two nice lakes right outside of town. Any other valuable info on that area would be helpfull.

Thanks.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-29-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
Tuttle Creek is not that great of a lake... Believe me, in the 5 years that I spent living in Manhattan going to college I think I remember 3-4 good days on that lake without a buttload of wind.

Kansas is a darn windy state out west of KC... Maybe not windy compared to Chicago, but windy nonetheless.

Also Manhattan is considerably smaller than Chicago (and I do mean CONSIDERABLY!) as in population 50K when school is in session, summers = maybe 30k...

Manhattan is really only a fun place when you are in college, otherwise I wouldn't recommend it!

Just trying to help!
Old     (wildcatx2)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-29-2005, 11:03 PM Reply   
What kind of job are you going to get in Manhattan. Are you going to work for the university? Plus, you are only 2 and a half hours from Missouri where there are planty of lakes that have great wakeboarding spots. And, if you don't have a boat there is the cable park in KC. I am not a fan, but it's cool that we have it.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-30-2005, 7:51 AM Reply   
John- We have the same Hero!!!!

Purple runs through my veins.....
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-02-2005, 9:15 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info. I was thinking it would be a bad move from what you guys said but I just got more info on the job. It is a construction managment job at Ft. Riley and would be a 5 digit raise. I would only have to live out there for 17months starting ASAP. What to do.....
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-02-2005, 9:49 AM Reply   
At 24 years old, you will have plenty of fun in Manhattan.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-02-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
when you're unemployed, anything is a "five digit raise"...
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-02-2005, 9:00 PM Reply   
I would definately suggest the move. Manhattan can be a fun time year around, especially for it's size. There are pretty good restaurants, one of the best bar districts in the country in Aggieville (Rusty's Last Chance was SI's #12 Sports Bar this Year), and K-State sports give you something to watch year round if you are in to sports.

Brad is exagerating a little on Tuttle. I've spent a lot of time out there during the years I skied at K-State. Spring can be sketchy, though you will probably get 5-10 butter days between February and early May. Once May comes around, you really start to get nice days. The water can be perfect. I have some pics from the other day at Tuttle, but they are not on this computer. It was a great day, the whole lake was glass, a little range burning in the Flint Hills around the lake make it picture perfect. The best part about Tuttle is you can be in the water in 10 minutes and ready to ride from downtown Manhattan. Even better, after a nice evening of riding, you can be sipping the beverage of your choice in your favorite drinking hole in the 'Ville in no time. I don't know how many times we pulled the boats to the bars after riding in my college years.

On the other side of Fort Riley is Milford. It is Kansas' largest lake, and one of it's cleanest, with nice sandy beaches. I have spent minimal time at Milford, but have seen some really good water and there are a couple nice coves. Both lakes being so far from KC get minimal traffic, especially in the summer when the college kids go home. The wakeboarding community is really starting to boom. Within the last 2 years I've probably seen 10-15 wakeboard boats out on Tuttle. The college crowd is really getting into it. For a 5 digit raise I would not hesitate to move. Who are you going to work for. I've got a buddy from the ski team that is in construction management in the Junction City area. Oh, and whatever you do, make sure you locate to Manhattan and not Junction City. Though about 15 minutes apart, totally different feels to the two towns. No one in Kansas wants to admit to living in Junk Town.
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-03-2005, 3:19 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input Nick. I have decided to come out and will confirm with the boss tomorrow. I work for Walsh Construction, and should be out there in a few weeks. I should have my boat out by early June; look for the old school, red, 88 ski nautique 2001. I went to Purdue so it sounds like the atmosphere should be similar. I am a big fan of Texas and Oklahoma football so maybe I will finally get to see them play.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-03-2005, 11:03 PM Reply   
I'll look for the boat. I'll be in an '03 Centurion, navy. I'm going out Thursday to get some time in on the lake. I have partied in West Lafayette twice during the Midwest Region's annual Winter Conferences. I would say they are very similar. Manhattan seems warmer on the average and has a 'smaller' feel. We'll have to hook up when you get out, I'll show you around. I think Oklahoma is back in town in '06. We play there this year. Tailgaiting in Manhattan is great.
Old     (bc3)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-04-2005, 8:42 AM Reply   
yea, but KState sucks...
Old     (bigjackamo)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-04-2005, 9:06 AM Reply   
OK, Brandon and Nick you both are in Kansas. Isn't that like the skunk telling the fox he stinks!

MIZ-ZOU
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-04-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
I personally am a big fan of Bucknell, how about you Phil!
Old     (maristar210)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-04-2005, 7:52 PM Reply   
come to wichita to ride at cheney
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-05-2005, 7:27 AM Reply   
Cory I hope that is a joke.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-05-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
Cheney.....hahhahahahaha

It is best to avoid Cheney all together.

Got this today from a friend, thought it would go great with this thread!

Subject: Kansas according to Jeff Foxworthy

If you're proud that your region makes the national news at least 96 times each year because it's the hottest or the coldest spot in the nation, you might live in Kansas.

If your dad's suntan stops at a line curving around the middle of his forehead, you might live in Kansas.

If you have worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you might live in Kansas.

If your town has an equal number of bars and churches, you might live in Kansas

If you have had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed a wrong number, you might live in Kansas.

YOU KNOW YOU ARE A TRUE Kansan WHEN "Vacation" means going east or west on I-70 for the weekend, you live in Kansas.

You measure distance in hours, you might live in Kansas.

You know several people who have hit a deer more than once, you might live in Kansas.

If you often switch from "heat" to "A/C" in the same day and back again, you might live in Kansas.

You can drive 65 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard, without flinching, you might live in Kansas.

You see people wearing camouflage at social events
(including weddings), you might live in Kansas.

You install security lights on your house and garage and leave both unlocked, you might live in Kansas.

You carry jumper cables in your car and your girlfriend knows how to use them, you might live in Kansas.

You design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit, you might live in Kansas.

Driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled with snow, you might live in Kansas.

You know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction, you might live in Kansas.

Your idea of creative landscaping is a statue of a deer next to your blue spruce, you might live in Kansas.

You were unaware that there is a legal drinking age, you might live in Kansas.

If Going Down South means Oklahoma, you might live in Kansas.

If a brat is something you eat, you might live in Kansas.

Your neighbor throws a party to celebrate his new pole shed, you might live in Kansas.

If your idea of going out to eat is a tail gate party every Friday, you might live in Kansas.

You have more miles on your snow blower than your car; you might live in Goodland Kansas.

If you find 0 degrees to be "a little chilly", you might live in Kansas.

You actually understand these jokes, and you forward them to all your Kansas friends, you might live in Kansas.
Old     (bc3)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-06-2005, 9:31 PM Reply   
MIZZ-WHO???