Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 21, 2005

Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2005, 9:11 AM Reply   
I'm looking at buying a wakeboard boat. I've found a 1988 tristar 190 and there is no option of trying out the boat as it will have to be shipped to my location. I need as many educated opinions as possible on the ride, the wake and price. The boat is said to be in VG shape, 90%perfect.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-20-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
Shipped? From where? I hope you didn't find it on Ebay.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
No, not on Ebay. Lanier Marine, Georgia to Manitoba.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-20-2005, 3:03 PM Reply   
I have a '87 Tri Star 190. It's a very good overall boat, but needs some additional weighting to make a decent wake. The biggest drawback though is the low profile of the boat in the water. After adding weight for a good wake, the boat rides low in the water, which isn't bad unless it gets choppy and/or windy. Oh ya, also be careful going over the rollers or you get a wave over the bow.

I think one of the best older "wakeboard" boats has got to be the Nautique Model 2001 (not the 2001 year). If you're getting the Tri-Star for under $9000.00 then go for it though......
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-20-2005, 3:17 PM Reply   
Mostly more of what Jeff said... I've had two friends who have owned Tristars over the years (both on Lake Lanier, coincidentally). The Tristar has a very wide flat bottom and requires a lot of additional weight even to create a small/med sized wake. It is even smaller than the MC Prostar 190 wakes. The biggest design problem with this boat, which I suspect is why they only made them a few years, is that the nose dips down too low, so it takes water over the bow and swamps very easily. I've seen them swamped numerous times, even with no weight up front. Awesome slalom/family boat if you only plan on going out in calm water.

I would not buy a Tristar for serious wakeboarding. Find an old Nautique, any year.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2005, 5:21 PM Reply   
Thanks Jeff and Dococ,
The search continues for a good boat... I'll search for a Nautique.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-20-2005, 6:14 PM Reply   
www.correctcraftfan.com

Everything you need to know and tons of classifides to satisfy your needs I hope. If we sell our Moomba, I am taking a look at some of these 2001's for sale.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2005, 6:58 PM Reply   
How about a 1990 Malibu? What are the positives /negatives?
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
Daniel, I checked out the site and I found a local boat. 1979 Ski Nautique 21'. I'm guessing that this would throw a really nice wake. It looks like it's in nice shape. What do you think?

They are asking 11000$(can) which is around 9000$us. This sounds overpriced. What do you think?

Also what is the general opinion of buying a boat off of ebay. Have others done it?

Thanks,
Justin

(Message edited by lives2wake on June 20, 2005)
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-20-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
Here is the ad:

Extremely Low Hours. A "whopping" 235 HP 1979 351 Windsor marine motor. This boat is Immaculate inside and out. Comes fully loaded on the trailer ready to ride. Starts with ease every time and has amazing power . Comes with the 8' BOOM pole for wakeboarding, Brand new steering cable, brand new axle , tires and rims on trailer in the fall. The upholstery is white and the carpet is great, both are in amazing shape. The upholstery is flawless with NO tears or rips. The boat pulls very easy and the trailer

The boat is perfect for anyone into wake boarding or water skiing. This boat seats 8 comfortably with plenty of room for boards and skis. It is truly a pleasure to drive and it definately turns heads on the lake when it thunders away. It has been in manitoba most of its life and it was only ever used 3 months of the year on weekends. It is truly a classic in mint shape and fuly ready to ride. Can hear run in the driveway. Sounds nice too! This Boat is ready to ride!!!!

pic2
pic1
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-21-2005, 5:09 AM Reply   
I wish I could tell you if that seemed over priced or not. We ride behind a Moomba so I do not know a lot about this boat. To me I would say that 11000 is a bit much but when you have cash in your hand people tend to bite at lower bids. The pictures make this boat look really nice and in good shape. I would say water test it and if it's local, that is a hge plus for you.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-21-2005, 5:59 AM Reply   
9K for a Natique in good shape is reasonable, at least in our "outta control" economy in Southern Cali. Look the boat over real good, have it checked by a mechanic, and go for it if it's all OK.

An older boat will need more maintanance, but well worth every penny- Good Luck!
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-21-2005, 3:14 PM Reply   
Justin,
Remember what you are getting on this board is people's opinions of boats. Here is my opinion.

I personally don't care for the Nautique 2001 series wakes. I yes they can get very big but they are way too narrow and straight up for my taste.

Until this year I owned a 88 tristar 190 and it was one of my favorite wakes for older boats. The problems with the boat that were stated are true that it sits fairly low but if you know how to drive it, it won't be a problem. I never took water over the nose. I had a couple of friends do it when they first started driving it. The only reason I sold the boat is because it was too tight with all the sacs in it. I bought a v-drive super sport nautique this year. Overall I think the tri-star is one of the best wakes out for that vintage boat. If you have any specific questions feel free to email me. I have plenty of wake pics and can give you advice on weighting it.

Other boats to look at if you can go a little higher in price are the mid 90's malibu Echelon's those have my other favorite wake from older boats. The MC 205 was also a nice wake. Nautique super sport or sports were also good.

Also I don't think the pylons are very good for the older boats. They weren't made to take that kind of stress. In my tristar you could see it flex the glass if pressure was put on it. Whatever old boat you buy consider putting on a tower.

Like I said everyone has an opinion so try to get as many as possible before making a decision.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2005, 5:13 PM Reply   
Good tips...I really don't care too much about how the wake will be. I'm used to riding behind outboards and anything would be better. I examine the hull and inspect the motor.

I'm now waiting for the owner to reply to my email...(5 min)...I think I'll check my email again.
Old     (ks_cowboy)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-21-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
The old CC are good boats I have a 78 and it is a great boat that throughs a very nice wake when weighted, but "This boat seats 8 comfortably with plenty of room for boards and skis." unless my boat has a basement that i'm not aware of this is not an accurate statement. We have 6 people in mine ocasionally and comfortable is not the word for it. Ross
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-21-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
Yeah, nice wake on the old CC, but the statement about seats 8 comfortably is total bull. Too bad, because now you must wonder if you can trust the rest of what they have written about the boat.

I would have it looked over and have a compression check run on the motor. If you're getting good compression on all 8 cylinders, then you might be in business.

Note to Stan, I never buried the nose on the Tristars either, but it takes a combination of driving skill and careful attention not to do it. I saw others swamp these boats, including when "friends" were driving, and there goes your stereo equipment, amps, cameras, and whatever else takes a bath. On one occasion, the force of the water over the nose broke part of the windshield, and no replacement is available through MC or even directly through Taylor Made. If you consider this "no problem," then that's a matter of perception. Not bashing MC, I had a sponsorship for years and I would buy an X2 in a heartbeat. Just think the Tristars had some design flaws, and want to make sure this guy knows what he can expect out of one.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2005, 7:43 PM Reply   
No, I'm glad I'm getting different point of views. That way when I examine any of these boats I'll be able to assess them more efficiently... I'll be more aware and know what to look for. Thanks a lot guys.
(still waiting for the email)
Justin
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-21-2005, 7:46 PM Reply   
I was also wondering, is it possible to change the engine cover in this boat? I looks like it is really large and oversized.
Old     (sbt3)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-21-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
dococ,
I agree that it would be easy to swamp if you cant drive. I put 450 hours in 2 1/2 seasons on mine and never had water come in the boat. Of coarse it was a closed bow so it had to go all the way up the windshield first. I was running in the ballpark of 1800-2000 lbs plus people and the wake was very nice.
It is easy to swamp just about any boat that you are running that much weight in if you don't know how to drive. I have had friends get close to putting it over the nose of my v-drive.
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-22-2005, 7:52 AM Reply   
I had a TriStar 190 and the wake was actually pretty well defined and "neutral"... not to rampy or too vert. I loaded it up with 1200 lbs and it was good to go. Plenty of big tricks were thrown behind that boat. At the time i wanted an open bow inboard for a decent price and there were few choices. I never sunk the nose on that boat but that can happen on almost any boat! I will tell you that those boats hardly lose any resale value at all!!! I bought mine about 11 years ago for $11k, sold it for $10.5k 4 years later and to this day i see them going between $8k and $13k. The only things i did to mine was put a bimini on it, new battery and an extended pylon. I figure i used that boat for 4 years and paid about $30 a month (not including gas, insurance, etc.). A dollar a day for a boat isn't bad at all. Plus for what it's worth and i know this will cause controversy... the Tristar looks more "modern" than the Ski Nautique pictured. I am not hatin' on the Ski Nautique (i own a Sport). i am just stating my opinion.

(Message edited by biz on June 22, 2005)
Old     (mnwakerider)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-22-2005, 8:06 AM Reply   
I bought a Tristar 190 (1991 last year of production) and I love the boat. It does ride low in the water, but if you know there is no problem what so ever.
We invested in a Monster Tower and some sacs this year and the boat rocks now. The open bow will help the resale of this boat (as it sold us... ).
The wake is nice, we ride at 80ft around 21 mph and the wake is really clean and a good width.
I really like this boat a ton and for 10.5k it was worth every penny (and I will be able to sell it for more as a "wakeboat" now!). No problems at all. I like it...
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-22-2005, 10:44 AM Reply   
Yes, the old nautique looks a bit like a tank but it is close to home. The tristars looks more modern.
.......still looking..........
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-22-2005, 11:30 AM Reply   
Also check out the floor and stringers in the older boats. Make sure there are no soft spots walking around on the floor..especially in the back where people are in and out a lot after being in the water. I've heard people suggest taking a wrench and try turning the bolts that screw the motor mounts to the stringers. If they spin then the stringers are rotten.....
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-22-2005, 8:29 PM Reply   
Levi, good point! This is from memory but i think the Tristar 190 I had was all fiberglass including stringers. I looked at a few Older Nautiques before i bought this boat and 4 out of 5 had soft floors which means a lot of $$$ and effort to fix.

(Message edited by biz on June 22, 2005)
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-22-2005, 11:27 PM Reply   
TR,
Let's see a pic. what year is your Nautique? how is the wake?

Some have already mentionned about the FG stringers. I read somewhere (on WW) that they were using the wood stringers on the tristar at some point.
Justin
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-23-2005, 12:25 PM Reply   
Are you asking for a pic of the Tristar or the Nautique? I don't have any of the Tristar but here is the Nautique. The wake on the Sport is awesome. You can load it down with weight and the shape of the wake still remains consistant, no washout. My TriStar was an 89 and i am 99% confident that the stringers were fiberglass.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-23-2005, 12:28 PM Reply   
MC was one the first to stop using wood. anything else, you better make sure your not getting into trouble. my tristar is all glass too.
Old     (lake_side)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-27-2005, 9:26 AM Reply   
I have a 89 Tristar great boat. MC quit using wood in 84 from 85 on all fiberglass.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-03-2005, 8:57 PM Reply   
It's a no-go with the tri-star. Had to many problems dealing with finances. (see: help! Canadian wanting to buy boat from USA) I'm now looking at a 21'6" Marlin skier...we'll see what happens.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-06-2005, 12:55 PM Reply   
He sold it..this is getting frustrating...oh wait, found a 2001 nautique
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-06-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
you're experiencing the fun of trying to find a cheaper good wakeboard boat. It's like hunting...once you find a trophy you have to quick and pull the trigger or it'll be gone!

When I bought mine I was the first guy to call and he had 5 offers on it before I closed the deal a couple days later...and the others said they'd buy it w/o even test driving it....