Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 04, 2005

Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-24-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
I just bought a used trailer and am fixing it up. It has surge brakes (pressure activated). The brake fluid in the reservoir looks pretty gunky, and the reservoir may be kind of gummed up. I would like to drain it, clean out the system and replace the fluid. The sticker says to use Silicone DOT #5 Fluid.

What steps do I need to do? Thanks
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-27-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
If the inside of the resevoir is gummed up, then they most likely used dot 3 mixed with dot 5. not good. cannot mix the two of them. really need to flush the system and then check to make sure none of the brake lines are clogged.
Old     (breadbutta)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-28-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
Rich,
You want to bleed the entire system without introducing air into it. Use a tire iron and have a buddy compress the surge brake three times and hold it. While he is holding it release the pressure on the bleed valve of the farthest brake cylinder, usually a 3/8" open end wrench. Put a rubber hose on it unless you don't care about making a mess. Also, brake fluid is caustic so the hose helps there also. Once the pressure has dropped and stops spraying out close the bleed screw and have him pump it 3 times and hold again. Continue this until you have clean fluid coming out the bleed valve, remember to keep the reservoir filled or you will introduce air into the system. Once you have clean fluid coming out of the farthest bleed valve refill the reservoir and go to the other brake bleed valve and do the same thing. Be sure to use the Dot 5 and check your brake shoes and hub bearings while your at it.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       03-28-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
Thanks Bruce, that's the kind of specific instructions I was looking for. A buddy of mine mentioned "Berrymans Cleaner" for getting the gunk out. Anybody ever used that? My friend is in the RV/trailer business.