Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-25-2012, 2:28 PM Reply   
Sounds like a complete failure. The riders opted out of the finals because the conditions were so bad. Attendees complained about the tie-ups. It looks like there was more pontoons and go fasts in the pics than tow boats. Way to sell out on the only on the water contest. Golfing? Really? Glad I went back to Bull Shoals this year. How do you follow up Lake Powell and Bull Shoals with Lake of the Ozarks? I guess thats why they threw golfing into a double up comp.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       06-25-2012, 2:33 PM Reply   
I say they bring it back to Powell.
Old     (MylesK)      Join Date: Apr 2011       06-25-2012, 4:03 PM Reply   
I was there on that Friday... not impressed

I was expecting the same thing I had read about and saw in pictures / videos of the past two over at Bull Shoals. That looked like a heck of a good time! Instead we rolled up on some random buoys out in the middle of the main channel with some power boats scattered around. There was a few wake boats making a line but with the water being so ruff and the event staff not letting anyone tie up to the house boats it was a cluster. Not to mention the lake patrol putting around with some poor dude in cuffs and an orange vest literally tied to a pole in the back of his patrol boat. I saw him get stopped and cuffed... it was only because come chicks in the boat were not seated while he was putting around the cove. He wasn't acting belligerent or anything and they snatched him for a dewey. After seeing something like that it makes you not even was to have ah beverage. Not that you need to to have a good time but come on man as long as you aren't endangering others give em a break. I felt for the riders having to ride where there where too. I love wake boarding to death but there comes a time when the water conditions make it not much fun.

Anyways that was my rant on the situation. If the whole purpose of the lake swap was to mix it up every so often then why didn't they move it to a different part of the states? It's only a 3 hr drive from Bull Shoal to The Lake of the Ozarks...
Old     (Giesh164)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-25-2012, 4:20 PM Reply   
we got there late wensday night and left sunday morning. i agree 100% with you all
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-25-2012, 6:15 PM Reply   
I was also there Thursday-Sunday, pretty much everything everyone else said was true, except I think if I'd been with a group in a houseboat it would've been a little better. Either way, I'm not going back if its at Lake of the Ozarks again.
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-25-2012, 6:22 PM Reply   
the contest itself seemed a little crappy, and the chops were huge out there and it made it almost impossible for your anchor to hold, but the atmosphere and all the partys i would give a 10. we got there friday morning and left sunday afternoon and it was a 24hr party on our house boat.
Old     (VTWakeboard)      Join Date: Oct 2011       06-25-2012, 7:38 PM Reply   
Bring it back to smith mountain lake, that was a crazy time
Old     (calexan)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-25-2012, 9:03 PM Reply   
Bring it back to Shoals and if they want crappy water but a fun city.... Lake Hamilton in Hot Springs would be a blast!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-26-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
Shoals or Table Rock! the bad part about Shoals is the lack of available houseboats. But that's about the only bad part.
Old     (augie_09)      Join Date: Mar 2011       06-26-2012, 8:16 AM Reply   
I keep wondering how the event would have been if the wind hadn't picked up vs how much of it was just LOTO or the cove chosen? It seems they did a good job marking a large no wake zone across the entire main channel infront of the event, but what can you do with 20mph wind, which is unusual for LOTO.
Old     (jake23l)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-26-2012, 9:11 AM Reply   
Better weather conditions, a couple tie off buoys, and the cops not being pricks it would have been a 10/10 event. You can't control the weather. The wind is why the riding wasn't great, it really didn't have anything to do with lake traffic. It's also the main reason we needed some tie off buoys, that and the fact that it seemed like 90% of the people there didn't have any experience with big boat tie ups... What do you mean you don't have an anchor or any bumpers? Most of the people there hadn't been to a Brostock before, so hopefully they will learn for next year. The cop situation probably won't change. Just be smart and designate a driver, it was my bday and that's what I did (Some of you might have seen 'the captain'). You can almost guarantee that this will be at LOTO next year. If we don't get crazy wind again and get more people with experience out there, I'm sure it will be a much better time. I know I will go again.
Old     (pc_sledge)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-26-2012, 2:11 PM Reply   
You may not be able to control the weather, but you can certainly watch the forecast and prepare for it. By locking into the cove with Captain Ron's (or whatever the hell it's called) you have predetermined your orientation not knowing that far in advance the prevailing wind direction. In Bull Shoals they would drive out and pick out the spot the evening before when one can look at the next days forecast with a certain amount of confidence, and decide what is the best area to set up. I would say the 1st year of Brostock at Bull Shoals it was mostly people that had never attended one either, however, there were no problems. If I had to speculate, i would say this was because wakeboarders are attracted to a lake that has conditions conduscive to their sport. I think LOTO as you call it, attracts people that like to go down for the party and to soak up the sun. Nothing wrong with this at all, however, I have several acquaintences that go to LOTO every year and rent a boat or pontoon and enjoy the party atmosphere. These people are not experienced boaters and they don't spend most of their free time on the water. Look at Brostock pics, the majority of spectating vessels are tow boats, look at LOTO the majority are not. How many people that own their own towboat don't have bumbers or sufficient tie-offs. Well, maybe the golf event will make up for it.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       06-26-2012, 9:18 PM Reply   
Back in college, we put together a ski/wake team event at LOTO. We had the event in April off of what was then Toad Cove. I would never do anything there again, and can only imagine how bad it would be during a summer weekend. The improved visibility was not worth the problems. I think that Table Rock would be a much better situation as Ian stated. More available houseboats, a little more accessible than Powell and Bull Shoals. Something in the Kimberling City area would work great. I know there was a great on water INT event a number of years ago based out of Little Cow Cove there that worked great. There is also a much better wake scene at Table Rock with a lot less go fast boats.

I lived at Lake of the Ozarks for about 8 months and got about all I need of that place. Wouldn't be disappointed if I never went back. I could only compare that place to a floating trailer park on summer weekends. I will never understand how so many white trash crazies afford some of those toys.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       06-26-2012, 9:22 PM Reply   
Oh well
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-27-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
that video doesn't really put the pros in a very good light IMO.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-27-2012, 9:02 AM Reply   
Its pretty tough to call this a professional sport when these are the events put on by one of the premier brands in the industry. That video is pretty dissapointing, especially in regards to these pro's. Its amusing that these dudes expect to make pay checks doing this. Definitely wants to make me get my family involved in the sport. (please note my sarcasm).
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-27-2012, 9:03 AM Reply   
That video had some drinking in it!
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            06-27-2012, 9:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
That video had some drinking in it!
Too bad i cant view the darn video...AT&T still has my data throttled lol
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-27-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
What the heck is with all the Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Coors Lite. Does nobody like real beer!
Old     (Elliottsx80)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-27-2012, 11:56 AM Reply   
im pretty sure they drink whatever is free!!!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-27-2012, 12:00 PM Reply   
BTW, it's not the drinking that i mind, hell i put them back and like to party. As a golfer though... definitely would not invite them to my course.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-27-2012, 12:58 PM Reply   
I thought the video was awesome! hahaha
Old     (chargeit)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-27-2012, 5:41 PM Reply   
Boating LOTO a couple times a season, hate to say, I saw this thread rant coming. (not that I have special powers or crystal ball )

Sad LF sold out thier riders and fans to the commercial interests of Captain Ron's. Ron's does a great job with the Shootout and is a decent host location. But even with the protective "no wake" zone, too many wakes can roll in from boats coming down off plane, general boat traffic into Ron's and of course wind.
This all lead to unfavorable and unsafe riding conditions for the riders that make their living landing airal tricks every week. hurt = no ride = no money

The good/bad thing of LOTO is almost everything is developed which leads to everyone WANTING big events but the NIMBY syndrome sets in.
An early map and description had the event happening in a cove about a mile North of Captain Rons, I dont know what changed but a good bet would be either resident complaints or Ron's wanting high visibility.
State Park would be a great location but then they are far enough away from name sponsor locations that most would not fork over the $$$.

As for those bitching about BUI's. Welcome to LOTO, where you come on Vacation and leave on Probation Actually it is not that hard to avoid BUI and much cheaper and easier to probate than other big time water bodies like Havasu. The guys back deck riding might as well have blood chum in the water. Same with making wake in "no wake" zones. Keep your nose clean of that and the chances of getting stopped go down dramtically.

The raft ups are definately not a case of LOTO boats inexperience or equipment. Check out the 1+mile double line that forms for Shootout, these boats know how to raft. Ever been to THE Party Cove? again decent raft lines even with the number visiting of amatures mixed in.
My experience, wake boats are one of the worst at having proper fenders and lines to raft or carry proper anchor/rode. Many wake boats do not have good or even any cleats to tie off. Add inexperienced operators that borrowed the family boat or are more concerned with the Party than tight lines. Top it off with the difficulity of mixing low free board sport boats with high free board cruisers. All this will lead to less than ideal raft lines.

As much as I love visiting LOTO, I hope Bro does not return in front of Ron's. There are many positives LOTO delivers including central location, plenty of houseboat, lodging, food and entertainment options and predictible water level.
Liquid Force needs to put water surface quality first when choosing a locaiton. Participating riders (including those that represent a long term investment in the LF brand) deserve a quality surface to showcase their talents and claim as elite professionals as well as perserve their long term health and ability to earn a living. Attendees expect quality performances and safety of their boats.
In LF's desire to take Bro commercial, sponsorship is important both from name sponsors as well as secondary displaying vendors and does make location more difficult than the days of Powell.
I hope there can be an acceptable compromise.