Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (astonmartini)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-11-2006, 10:13 PM Reply   
I am not learning the heelside 3 because I am literally throwing the handle away before I complete the turn...is there an accepted way to pass the handle, i.e. when the handle is behind your back, should your passing hand be palms to the sky? what about your receiving hand? are there different ways to do this? i've looked through a bunch of pro pics and i can't seem to find any consistency, thanks, thomas
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-11-2006, 10:20 PM Reply   
bring the back of your hand that's holding the handle to the small of your back and at the same time, bring the back of your other hand to the small of you back.
Old     (astonmartini)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2006, 6:17 AM Reply   
small of my back meaning around my waistline? and also should both palms be facing up like the opposite of when your just riding w/the handle in front of you?
Old     (gmhdesign)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-12-2006, 7:03 AM Reply   
In my opinion the 360s are all about giving a good tug on the rope to start your rotation. This will create some slack in the line and really help set you up for the handle pass. Ride up the wake in a slightly seated position, once your up in the air really pull the handle hard to the small of your back. This will not only start your rotation but it will also pull your body towards the boat a little bit. Make sure you don’t go off axis by turning your head with the rotation and focusing your eyes on the shoreline (not at the wake). I have only just started landing 360s after a whole year of trial and error because I wasn’t pulling hard enough on the line as I started the rotation. You should end the 360 just as you hit the water with the rope in hand right at your waist so that as the boat takes back the slack you can extend your arm to absorb the shock. Sometimes I would make the handle pass but my arm was fully extended. So when the boat pulled out the slack I was being pulled forward into a nice face plant.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-12-2006, 8:15 AM Reply   
I had/have the exact same problem as you Thomas. I practiced all winter on the trampoline and landed my first 360 the other day...it felt so smooth I felt stupid that it had taken me 3 years to land one. Then the next one I tried, I just yanked the handle again...sheesh.

Here are my tips:

1. Wait, wait, wait for the pull. In my bad attempts I don't follow the Pop..Pull..Pass rule.

2. Don't cut too hard at the wake, too much line tension kills my attempts.

3. Try to pull the handle with both hands to your hip, not just yank it with one arm.

4. This is the biggest one that turned the corner for me, and its fairly obvious but I didn't know it. Turn the handle 'down' as you are passing it behind your back. It's supposed to happen naturally, but when I concentrated on turning the handle, it helped alot.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-12-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
Also try learning some surface 360's first so you can get a feel for the pull of the rope and the pass. Good luck and have fun!
Old     (kystyle)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-12-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
When I do a handle pass, I have both palms up.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-12-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
Good tips from Loren
Add keep the handle close to your hip (waaay more than normal)during the approach as well. Hold the handle on one side- to pass roll your wrist over putting the back of your hand in the small of your back- easier to pass that way

Good luck- post pics of the crashes :-)
Old     (ridemywake)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-12-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
Im still trying to land my 3, last time I forgot to pull the handle and through my 180 the tension in the rope threw me sky high in the air and throwing me upsidedown.unbelievably I almost landed the stinken thing...but my heels caught edge...lol...thought I tore knee up @ first...so im going to attempt again tomorrow if it dont rain.