Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (wanabe)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-14-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
Is it legal to anchor sliders in public bodies of water? ( temporary, will remove when not in use.)
Old    gotwake123            12-14-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
as long as the lake police dont see or find out the anchors are there its fine. i have cement filled cender blocks hidden all over my lake. but the cops start to notice when people are circleing around them trying to see wat they hit
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-15-2006, 5:18 AM Reply   
We attached boat winches to the bottom of our floating slider. Then ran cables to parking blocks that could be raised and lowered to move it to deep water and then back to shore. Toally legal. We had cops try to hassle us but they couldn' legal even in Michigan. We would push it to shore then lower the blocks to keep it from floating away.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       12-18-2006, 12:48 PM Reply   
There is no simple answer to that.

In many cases it will be permissible, and in other cases it won't be. It will depend on the body of water, where you try to anchor it, and a lot of other factors.

If you plan on leaving it over night, then there are a lot more issues to consider. What might be "legal" during the daylight might become illegal at sunset, unless you afix proper lighting.

Anything that could be considered a "permanent" (even if it is floating and could be moved) will fall under a different classification than something in transit. For example, in many bodies of water you can anchor a boat or a barge, but you can't set up a dock.

I have an inflatable slider that I set up when I take the houseboat out and anchor out for the weekend. I normally anchor the slider close to the houseboat in an area that is well out of the way of normal traffic. I have never been hassled about it at all. This is on the California Delta.

If you set up a slider in a public area and leave it unattended, even for a minute, don't be surprised if someone helps themselves! You should also be a bit concerned about liability if someone should hurt themselves on it. If you anchored it in such a place that it became a hazard to navigation, i.e., if someone runs into it, then there could be additional liability issues.

If you are thinking of setting this up in any sort of city, county state or federal park type body of water then I would expect the answer to be NO! If you set it up, use it then take it down right away you will probably get away with it, however.