Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kevin)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-28-2012, 2:17 PM Reply   
What would you recommend for a good mirror to watch the rider that won't cost me an arm and a leg?
Thanks in advance.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-28-2012, 2:26 PM Reply   
What kind of boat?
Old     (kevin)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-28-2012, 8:46 PM Reply   
2000 centurion elite-v with a tower.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-28-2012, 9:59 PM Reply   
ptm edge. If you can't afford it, save your money until you can
Old    kx250frider617            07-28-2012, 11:08 PM Reply   
I would get one that sits as close to the top of the windshield as possible. IMO, the tower mounted mirrors sit to high and its very annoying having to actually raise your head to look back at the rider while driving. When the mirror is mounted to the windshield, all you have to do is move your eyes. It doesn't sound like a big deal but after driving my buddies xstar with the tower mounted mirror, I noticed the difference it makes on towing a rider.
Old     (melvinator)      Join Date: Apr 2001       07-29-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
Cipa Extreme at walmart for $60. No brainer!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/CIPA-Extre...ndingMethod=rr
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       07-29-2012, 5:17 PM Reply   
I agree with Melvinator.

Jordan, any tower clamp can move up higher or lower depending on the tower. Just make sure to get a tower clamp that is adjustable once it is on the tower as well. I bought a cheapo one off of ebay that when mounted at the right height, the mirror would be turned at a 30 degree angle. To have it straight, it was mounted too high, even for me. And it also could not see the rider when the bimini was up. So the new clamp with the CIPA extreme from Walmart is awesome. It is adjusted to just the right height (as all of my other tower mounted mirrors have been), and I am very pleased with it.

There is something wrong with that Xstar mirror setup, that it could not be moved down lower on the tower leg and still be straight.

The mirror from walmart does not come with the right adapter for most tower clamps, so then you need to get the adapter. I got mine from Monster tower, and it was $40. Pretty expensive for a simple piece of alluminum with a couple of screws, but my mirror is perfectly functional now.

Last edited by talltigeguy; 07-29-2012 at 5:19 PM. Reason: ...
Old     (kevin)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-29-2012, 8:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even think to look at Walmart, they look like they would work good, maybe I'll give that a shot. I've gone this long without one so anything will be an improvement.
Old    kx250frider617            07-29-2012, 9:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by talltigeguy View Post
I agree with Melvinator.

Jordan, any tower clamp can move up higher or lower depending on the tower. Just make sure to get a tower clamp that is adjustable once it is on the tower as well. I bought a cheapo one off of ebay that when mounted at the right height, the mirror would be turned at a 30 degree angle. To have it straight, it was mounted too high, even for me. And it also could not see the rider when the bimini was up. So the new clamp with the CIPA extreme from Walmart is awesome. It is adjusted to just the right height (as all of my other tower mounted mirrors have been), and I am very pleased with it.

There is something wrong with that Xstar mirror setup, that it could not be moved down lower on the tower leg and still be straight.

The mirror from walmart does not come with the right adapter for most tower clamps, so then you need to get the adapter. I got mine from Monster tower, and it was $40. Pretty expensive for a simple piece of alluminum with a couple of screws, but my mirror is perfectly functional now.
The problem with the xstar was that the hinge in the tower blocked the mount from moving any lower, move the mirror mount below the hinge and it would be in the windshield. That was just one little quirk i had while driving the star but im sure most other boats don't have that problem
Old     (JoLo_Si)      Join Date: Oct 2011       07-30-2012, 8:02 AM Reply   
Monster Tower tower mount works great for me. Very adjustable and descent vision and price. Windshield mounts block too much vision and aren't ajustable enough for me. The other thing about a windshield mount is that most of the mont and screw mechanism is made of plastic and it will loosen up after a few bounces through the double ups.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-30-2012, 10:02 AM Reply   
My only complaint about my windshield mounted mirror is that it gets hit by passengers going to the bow.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-30-2012, 11:43 AM Reply   
Walmart mirror looks nice for a cheapie I might have to grab one
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       07-30-2012, 11:45 AM Reply   
I agree Jman. I like the mirror low though. The optimum solution is one that mounts to the tower and sits just slightly above the windshield, and is solid. My opinion (these are the most expensive, which is why mine still sits on the windshield :-)
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-30-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
Its pricey but worth it...hands down the best option availible.
Attached Images