Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-04-2010, 7:49 AM Reply   
I've read all the posts debating the merits of the various wakes boat produce. I have a different question on it though...

I've been told that an Enzo, equipped with a Goofy-spinning prop, actually has a really good Regular wake, and an Enzo, equipped with a Regular prop spin, has a bad goofy wake.

So if we want an Enzo that works well on both sides, we should get the goofy prop spin.

Does this make sense? Would there be a reason why? I can only think that there might be more ballast available to port? Or is this a load of BS?

I've kind of narrowed down my choice in boats to the Enzo or an RZ4, but I really need something that surfs well on both sides.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       02-04-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
get a Avalanche
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-04-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
I have debated this so so many times. Get a typhoon, it's a 23' avalanche. I have an avalanche and both of my waves are great- amazing. All I have is an avalanche sac(1500#) on each side. Fill which ever side you are surfing and go!

The RZ4 is also a sweet boat. I have a buddy with one and it has a custom sac in the locker and the wave is very close to my avy. I think my avy's is longer and has a little more push.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       02-04-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
If those are your choices than go with the RZ4.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-04-2010, 9:38 AM Reply   
Get goofy prop both sides are good then.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-04-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
So Enzos have been proven to get a clean wave on both sides (normal prop rotation) but it takes some extra sacs plus an enzo sac on the goofy side to get a clean goofy wave. I would assume the same principle applies for goofy rotation props. There are a lot of disappointed goofy footed enzo owners, but with a little work you can make the boat surf both sides well. If you surf both side frequently (Like me I switch sides at least a few times a day while surfing) I would look at another boat. There are a few that do both sides great. If you are goofy and mainly surf goofy, I would get a goofy enzo! The boat throws an amazing wave when weighted well.
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-04-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
what is a Goofy spinning prop?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       02-04-2010, 10:19 AM Reply   
Duffy I think there are a lot of Enzo owners that would disagree with you.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-04-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
The Enzo I ride occasionally in DFW has an amazing wake on regular side and great wake on goofy side. The Enzo has the automatic wake plate and Enzo sacs. I think the automatic wake plate helps out significantly on goofy side.

Personally, if I was going to buy a 24ft boat, I dont know how you would not at least go sit in the Malibu 247. Set up right, it has a nice wave.

In any event, both the Enzo/RZ4 are very nice. I am sure you would be happy either way.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-04-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
nate a goofy spinning prop would be a right hand prop i believe all boats except nautique come standard with a left hand prop
Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-04-2010, 6:19 PM Reply   
Thanks gang - I guess I was thinking that the Enzo has more ballast on the port side, and if the screw turns the opposite way with more weight to compensate, the wake is more consistent on the bad side. Hence getting a goofy Enzo ends up being more consistent side-to-side.

We usually switch back and forth from side-to-side pretty often. I currently have a Maristar that I have plumbed out and customized to produce a killer wave - but it is a lot of work to make it good - and I'm getting old.

I'd like to get something that works on both sides well, but I'm demanding - I want it big/steep/fast/deep pocket, so it is not easy.

I'll reconsider the Malibu. I've been in the 23's a lot and have been sorely disappointed compared to other boats I've been in, so I kind of got turned off.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-04-2010, 6:51 PM Reply   
If you want a Centurion, the Avalanche and Typhoon are the boats your should go with - like Duffy said.

If you're willing to look outside of Cents, try out Sanger; they have outstanding waves on both sides in the 215 and 237. If you put in two custom sized bags, one in each rear locker, the most you will have to do to switch sides is flick a switch.

If you want a bigger boat, I can't recommend the 237 enough. I picked one up last summer after being blown away by its wave and ease of setup.

(Message edited by taft on February 04, 2010)
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-04-2010, 6:57 PM Reply   
The Fly High W712 Enzo sac will fill to nearly full on both sides of the Tige RZ4. This boat will produce a clean wake on both sides. With the W712 on top of the stock in-floor ballast, you're looking at about 1650 lbs per side of stowed away ballast.
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-05-2010, 8:44 AM Reply   
A 23 Enzo is a piece of cake to sit up with goophy prop. The 24 is a little harder(more weight). Just make sure you have the hyd tab. I'M a mastercraft dealer to getting this out in the open. If we are going surfing ENZO all the way Boarding MC. The 09 AVys came with goophy prop.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-05-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
The guy that designed the enzo also designed the new supreme v226. It should have the best design hull for creating the best wave. Much cheaper than a new enzo or a tige. It's deeper then the enzo, but has angles more like the avalanche. Plus the freeboard is super high, much higher than my avalanche. The gunwale is 34"! I have had the lockers measured and a custom enzo type sac would be roughly 2k in weight. It produces a great-clean wave on both sides. This will be my next boat if someone doesn't come out with a deeper V by the time I am ready. I love my avy, but someday I will need to move on:-) Here is a link to a thread on it. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/619966.html
Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-05-2010, 9:52 AM Reply   
Thanks guys - great info. I love the Sanger's - my only issue is that they seem hard to find. Ideally I would like to find last year's model and it seems like there are a lot of Enzos and RZ's out there.

How much experience do folks have with the MB Sports? I love the 23 B52 - found a pretty good deal on one - not sure how well they surf.

Duffy - when you say you have an avalanche sac on each side - did you just plumb that in instead of the stock? I like the idea of the RZ4 with sac plumbed in on top of the stock.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-05-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
The avalanche sac is a custom sac, just like the enzo sac. I removed both stock hard tanks(port and starboard) and the sacs just plugged into my stock plumbing. I flip the switch and I have 1500 pounds on which ever side we are surfing. I also have a stock 250 pound tank in the center. This same idea works great in the enzo. I know you can do the same with the sangers as well. Where are you located? We just got a sanger dealer last year. I really like the wave from the V215, V230, V237. Here are some pictures of my avy wave. Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-05-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
Oh my-lanta that wave is killer. How many people were in the boat at those times?
Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-05-2010, 10:25 AM Reply   
I'm in TX.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       02-05-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
Since we brought up Sanger. There is a dealer in Austin TX with 237's. Here are pictures of V237 and V215.
Upload
Upload
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-05-2010, 11:41 AM Reply   
I usually have 3-5 people on board. We rarely have more than 5. The only issues with avys are that they are weight sensitive. Move 1 person can cause the wave to wash out a little. This is because of the super deep V and the angles on the transom. The top pictures are with us going 10.5 mph the bottom ones are 11.5mph. We now ride at 11.5-12. The wave gets solid at higher speeds. For the record my wave is not as good as an enzo! But it does throw a great wave on both sides and you can find avys very cheap. Dennis's Sanger throws a great wave too.

(Message edited by duffymahoney on February 05, 2010)
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-05-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
The guys over at wake9 did a great review on the new tige boat. The boat threw a great wave.
Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-05-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
Thanks man - I read that review. Those Wake9 guys are a great resource - very cool.

I'm liking the idea of the Avy - going to try and check some out. Looks like less expensive than the RZ, although that one still on the list.
Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-05-2010, 12:34 PM Reply   
Seems like two pretty good options:

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=818166

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=815387
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-05-2010, 12:42 PM Reply   
55k for a brand new RZ4 sounds like a smoking deal. That boat is costing them money every month they don't sell it so I would offer them 50-53 and see if they take it. Just be very serious and ready to jump on it if you really are going to offer them low like that.

Not sure where you are located but is looks like the Kentucky, Tennessee area. Nate from CBK watersports in Kingsport TN is on wakeworld a lot. I have heard good things about their dealership. It might be worth giving him a call to see what he has or can do on an Avy, typhoon or Enzo.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-05-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
If I was you I would get the typhoon C4 or an Avalanche C4. C4 means wrap around seating and is a must for the custom avy sacs. In 2008 or 2009 centurion actually increased the top cap on the avy by a few inches. This increased the area under the seats and also the locker area. You should be able to get a little bigger custom sac in it. Features to look for.

At least the 330HP motor.
Storm 3 or 4 package(this will make sure you get the stock ballast stuff you need to later install sacs)
Bennet trim tab- Helps clean up the wave etc. You can always add this after market.
Non- sideswipe (this is an exhaust option, this will limit the size of the custom avy sac, and the best exhaust option is to later put a FAE on)

Check out www.centurioncrew.com huge help.

Here are some boats for sale. The first one would be my choice, I like the idea of a 1 foot longer avy= typhoon:-) Sweet colors and options.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/750224.html?1260473187

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=9327677&cat=&lpid=

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=9327582&cat=&lpid=
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-06-2010, 6:54 AM Reply   
Daylorb - if you are in DFW area, the boat show is this weekend. I believe that both the Centurion and Sanger dealer will be there. They both have leftovers that they are trying to get rid of.

I have an 08 Avy set up like Duffy's. I think it is the best wave for the $.

Duffy - I know you like the new Supreme. I am sure it is a nice boat, but it has the ugliest dash of all time:-)
Old     (daylorb)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-06-2010, 6:57 AM Reply   
I'm pretty far away from DFW unfortunately or I would take a drive up there.

I'm liking that 07 Avy though that Duffy posted. Emailed the guy a few times. It sounds like the hull has remained largely unchanged, and that the boat is pretty loaded. I think it will need some larger ballast bags in it, but shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for all the input you guys -
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-06-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
Lakesurfer-
The supreme is a pretty ugly dash, but the wave is going to be amazing!:-)

The seller is correct the hull is exactly the same from 2002- present. The only changed the top cap and the interior layout a little. Good luck with the search.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-06-2010, 10:06 AM Reply   
Here is a nice search engine for boats. Searches a bunch of sites.

http://www.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?cat=cpboat