Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    xtigeman            05-17-2003, 2:35 PM Reply   
This thing is absolutely awesome. Drives like a 911 and it tows 7,716 pounds. Unbelieveable the way it handles and the acceleration.
Old    xtigeman            05-17-2003, 2:37 PM Reply   
Here are a few more.

Old    xtigeman            05-17-2003, 2:41 PM Reply   
A couple more.

Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-17-2003, 5:51 PM Reply   
Is that the twin turbo model. Good way to spend 80 grand if you have it. Pull up next to some rice burners that cant read what kind of suv you have and burn um

danny
Old    bigd            05-17-2003, 6:01 PM Reply   
4WD? Nice house...
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-17-2003, 8:26 PM Reply   
Nice 80K mini-van.
Old    xtigeman            05-17-2003, 8:44 PM Reply   
Haha. I was not big on it either until I drove it. You have to drive one to understand what it is all about. It is truly a sports car dressed up in a SUV (or mini-van) body. Looks have really grown on me though, but if you drive one you will want it. It is a jaw dropping experience for such a large vehicle.

The turbo will set you back about 95k with minimal options. The S is 340 hp and mine stickered at about 68k. The turbo is 450 hp. Both versions are all the time AWD (4WD). You can adjust the power distribution between the front and rear. The computer display between guages even monitors tire pressures.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       05-17-2003, 11:32 PM Reply   
very cool =) I saw one up close the other day. would love to have one, esp. if they didn't force the slushie on you...
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-18-2003, 12:34 AM Reply   
Yeah a manual would be nice. Thats a sweet ride Doug, I'm sure your lady is stoked.
Old     (chrzanowski5)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-18-2003, 6:28 AM Reply   
It does sound nice. I'll have to take one for a test drive. By the way, nice boat.
Old    whirly            05-18-2003, 8:45 AM Reply   
Doug, can I ask what you do for a living?
Old    whitechocolate            05-18-2003, 9:27 AM Reply   
Very Nice Doug Congrat's "Pig Pimpin"
Old    xtigeman            05-18-2003, 12:52 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. Lady is stoked and loves driving it for carpool and soccer mom duty. I am surprised Porsche has not come out with an SMG type of transmission. Tiptronics do shift softer, but you can still downshift match revs and have control over gears.

The 4.5 V8 has a great torque curve. The tiptronic transmission is actually programmed to always start out in second. You can down shift to make it go into first at anytime to do a fast takeoff and it takes off great in second from a dead stop and will still hit 60 in second.

I have had it up to about 115 and it feels like its doing about 50 or 60 at 100+. Dead solid and very quiet. I have heard it is solid and predictable all the way up to 150.

Blake: Lawyer.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-18-2003, 7:34 PM Reply   
Doug,
Great looking ride. I really like the blue. I was one down at Lake of the Ozarks the other day, it was white, but I really like them in person.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-19-2003, 4:09 AM Reply   
Looks Cool, too bad it's an SUV.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-19-2003, 6:38 AM Reply   
I have a question, this is something that I have always told other people about towing power... Its great that it will tow 7,716 pounds but the Cayenne only weighs 6,790lbs. I know that I am a little rusty on this but if you are towing something that weights 1/2 a ton more than the SUV how well does it STOP? Don't get me wrong Doug the thing is beautiful and I know that it is almost a 911 but I just wanted to ask some other people's thoughts on this one. I get in this discussion quite often with friends. I know that even with My surburban weighing over 8000 pounds its not the greatest when I try and stop the with the X-Star behind it. Let me know if you have pulled the boat yet and how well it stops. The ride is sweet though.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       05-19-2003, 8:04 AM Reply   
Stewart, it all depends on the brakes. A F350 Dually only weighs around 7,000lbs. but is rated to tow up to 13,500lbs. because the frame and brakes can handle it.

I highly doubt your Sub weighs 8,000lbs unless you have added a couple thousand in add ons. A fully loaded diesel 4x4 Excursion weighs 7,600lbs.

The one thing that would make me leary of towing 7k+ in weight with the Cayenne or any other short SUV is the short wheelbase. In a panic stop situation a short wheelbase tow vehicle will not be as stable as a long wheelbase vehicle.

Of course this is all moot if Doug is only towing a 5k boat.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2003, 9:59 AM Reply   
Awesome. Congrats.
Old    xtigeman            05-19-2003, 10:25 AM Reply   
Yeah, I would be concerned about towing a 30 foot boat with a Cayenne. Cayenne S weighs 5,000. The X-Star is a breeze and is not noticeable at all. Feels like my Tahoe did, but with more pick-up and better brakes. It may be the AWD and the rotors and brakes are huge on this thing. The front is 6 caliper.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2003, 10:44 AM Reply   
semi's weigh 18-24K and pull 80K+ trailers. Don't think its that much of an issue as long as you got trailer brakes.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-19-2003, 11:56 AM Reply   
Doug, you have any pictures of the front?
Old    cws_kahuna            05-19-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
Very nice Doug. Get some pictures with the boat behind it for us.
Old     (gizel)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-19-2003, 1:43 PM Reply   
Doug I had a Tahoe last year and just got the new Burban so the new ride is bettr than the tahoe was? thats good to know. My uncle write for automobile mag and can't say enough good things about your new ride. thanks for the info and yeah lets see the boat behind it.
Old    martyc            05-20-2003, 5:58 AM Reply   
The real question for Doug is what his wife does. I am also a lawyer in Tennessee and make a pretty good living. However, I have a Suburban and a Moomba. No Porsche or Mastercraft at my house. Looks good Doug. Maybe I should come practice in Memphis.
Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-20-2003, 6:06 AM Reply   
nice one doug. now for the answer that everyone else has been asking....when are you gonna get the boat behind it?

you ever get my check?

you doing anything this weekend? i cant, long story. just curious if you were.

cant wait to check out your ride.
Old    kiwihottie            05-20-2003, 8:45 AM Reply   
Doug,
Very nice....... I am definitely in the wrong line of practice!

However, Ryan is flying for a couple of days and I could always trade his truck?

Hmmmmmm... No Porsche dealers here though, might have to drive to Salt Lake or Portland just to see one!

Oh well, you'll have to take me and the girlfriends for a ride when we visit "Graceland"

Congrats.....
Old    xtigeman            05-20-2003, 3:58 PM Reply   
Matt: Got check, Thanks bud. I put some pics up under a new thread with boat being towed by the Cayenne.

Kiwikiwikiwi, I like the way that that rolls of your toungue. You and your girlfriends are more than welcome to hang out at my humble place of abode and it will no trouble whatsoever seeing that you gals (southern thing) have a great time and a memorable trip.

Look out Memphis, the blue martini drinkin hotties are comming. Memphis will never be the same.
Old    jlm            05-20-2003, 9:05 PM Reply   
Marty...the Law Enforcement side here in TN (believe it or not) pays even less and we have to put up with you guys...however, it would be o.k. if Doug took me for a ride in both the Porsche and the X-Star after cross-examination.

All joking aside it is a smooth ride Doug. Looks good with the boat.