Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-02-2008, 4:20 AM Reply   
I found a 50% off code for http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/
Code "37A-1-G0XND" which is good until 15-OCT-2008.

I picked up the '08 Dakine Sequence for only $64.95 (normal retail $129) w/ free shipping..
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-02-2008, 6:51 AM Reply   
Thanks David.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-02-2008, 8:29 AM Reply   
Thanks for that, awesome find. So other know, that takes 50% off the MSRP of the item, not the price that it was for sale (I got some glasses, 130 MSRP, on sale for 91...total after applying the coupon was 65).
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-02-2008, 9:37 AM Reply   
nice...looks like Dakine has two new camera bags.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-02-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
Alright, I had to splurge a bit. A friend of mine picked up that Interval bag awhile back off Whiskey and it's freakin perfect for riding. It has an attachable wetsuit bag, laptop/magazine pocket, fleece sunglasses pocket AND a quazi-insulated front cooler pocket...hell yes!

And now I own five backpacks.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       10-02-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
Sweeeet Just scored me a Dakine Backpack for 35 bones! Ballllaaaaa!!
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-02-2008, 1:03 PM Reply   
Word!

Loren - yeah the Back Country Outlet has some really good deals already, but i guess that 50% code should mention MSRP. Either way you're getting that bag for roughly shop cost. ;-)

Scott - Yup, three bags now! The Mission, Sequence, and Reload. The bags listed in the outlet store are the 2008 models and '09 bags (full retail only) like the Sequence is 200 cu in larger with a larger camera-case.

I was actually blown away by the number of photo/camera related bags these days. I started a martix (similar to what I did for the water-housings) and I already have 16 bags listed and I could easily add another 15...!

Here's a sneak peek... I will be adding photos, but rather than just the stock photos from the manufacture websites I thought it would be cool to get some original photos from the bag owners. If you guys are down to contribute... please snap some pics of your bags, empty, loaded up, in action, etc.. to really give other photogs the sense of usability & storage!

Upload

(Message edited by dcervenka on October 02, 2008)
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-02-2008, 1:11 PM Reply   
You should include an ICU/camera block measurement in inches. I know some of the F Stop bags have/had an ICU that isn't deep enough to fit a pro body (or anything with a grip attached), so being able to reference a measurement like this might be useful.

But that's a really cool idea...

(Message edited by scott_a on October 02, 2008)
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-02-2008, 1:38 PM Reply   
Thanks! This originally started when I was trying to find a carry-on bag to meet the stringent international "carry on" rules/restrictions. Weight, size, and non-PRO looking were key requirements! Searching one at a time = pain in the butt... Matrix = good times! ;-)

Good call! I'm already listing the "interior WxHxD" from the manufacture's website which I believe is the size of the ICU. However I will add another column for "ICU Dimensions" just for this!

There's also another 9+ columns that you can't see in the screen-shot which includes features like:

* removable ICU - Y/N
* rain cover - Y/N
* tripod holder - Y/N
* removable camera case -Y/N
* warranty - yrs
* company link - url
* material(s)
* etc..

Ideally I would like to replace the manufacture specs with ones from the "real-world" provided by the owners.. Like dimensions of the bag "empty" and then fully "loaded"... We've all been there when traveling and you've had every single piece of gear you own stuffed in the bag. It would be great to know if the bag will still fit in the overhead compartment or under the seat.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-02-2008, 1:50 PM Reply   
DAMMMNNNNN!!!!! I placed my order at 4 AM (or so) this morning and my backpack has already shipped (and that's with the FREE shipping option)!

"Your package is shipping UPS Ground, and should arrive on October 06. "
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2008, 2:04 PM Reply   
Anyone familiar with this bag?

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/MOU0098/Mountainsmith-Sideline-Camera-Pack.html

I've got a Dryzone 300 that I use to keep and lug all my gear around. I've been thinking about picking up a smaller sling style pack for convenience and have my eye on the Sideline. I don't know anything about Mountainsmith.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-02-2008, 2:35 PM Reply   
Nope, but it states that it has a Lifetime Manufacturer Warranty (which is better than what Dakine, Burton, etc.. offer)

I found a review on a Mountainsmith bag (different model) here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=396639 You should be able to get a feeling for the quality of workmanship/materials provide by the company from the thread.

That website also has an extensive sticky with links to a LOT of other bag reviews here: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=207946
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-02-2008, 2:42 PM Reply   
kung fu wake & video > google
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-02-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
which one do you use for your hvx? what other essentials can you stash in it other than the hvx?
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-02-2008, 3:00 PM Reply   
KFWV - Thanks for the pointers, checking them out now.

If your project includes the Lowepro Dryzone 200 bag I'll be happy to take some shots of it loaded up as I use it.

(Message edited by mammoth on October 02, 2008)
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-02-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
Thanks Nate that would be great and it's greatly appreciated! If anyone else has suggestions or pics they would like to share please let me know.

For sure! I'll add the following from lowepro:

* DryZone 100
* Photo Trekker AW II
* Nature Trekker AW II
* CompuTrekker AW
* CompuTrekker Plus AW
* Mini Trekker AW
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-02-2008, 3:25 PM Reply   
Do you need a shot of the Sequence David ?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-02-2008, 3:30 PM Reply   
Joe - I ordered the Dakine Sequence more for the price than anything.. I think it's going to be tight fit for the HVX.

The ideal bag for me will carry the following:

* HVX200
* 3 to 4 Batteries
* Charger and cables
* VIDLED & Battery & Charger
* Wide Angles
* 2 x external 320 Gb USB powered Drives
* 15" Laptop
* Wireless Lav
* Shotgun Mic
* Misc Filters, lens cleaners, etc..

Another solid candidate is the Burton ZOOM PRO 30L pack.

I would also love to check out the F-stop bags in person and the sales guy I talked to said they offer a 60-day no-questions asked return policy so I can check them out. I just feel bad having to make a small/start up company pay for shipping if I don't want to keep it. :-/
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-02-2008, 3:35 PM Reply   
Walt - for sure! Do you have one? Which year? It seems like they changed the style from '07 to '08 to '09.

I think what will benefit others the most is seeing pictures of the bag in the following stages:

EMPTY (no gear in the bag)
--------
* front
* side
* back
* inside - showing the camera compartment
* any special features (rain cover, tripod holder, drink holder, fuzzy pocket, see-through pockets, etc..)

FULL (loaded as normal)
--------
* front
* side
* back
* inside - showing the camera compartment
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-02-2008, 3:40 PM Reply   
I have one that's a few years old and love it. I have a new one on the way thanks to you. I can get most of my gear in there and it's all fairly well protected.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-02-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
oh yeah... and a few more pic ideas...

ON PERSON
-----------
Side
Back

This way you can get a sense for how it rides and looks.
Old    kc700            10-02-2008, 3:58 PM Reply   
well I need a bag for transporting bod.... I mean large objects....usually from my house to the trunk of my car...to a nearbye body of water or dark alley....any recommendations?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-02-2008, 8:25 PM Reply   
Sorry Kyle, but I don't think the bag you're looking for could be approved for international travel..?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-07-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
Got my 2008 Dakine Sequence backpack yesterday! The bag looks pretty cool and is well laid out. Please not that I'm judging this bag on my requirements to carry a HVX, it's accessories (batteries, two chargers, etc..), and some other gear (wireless lav, light, WA, etc..)

HVX & GEAR
I started by emptying my Pelican 1510 one item at a time and finding a new home for it in the Sequence bag. Everything seemed to fit, but I had to use all of the side/outside pockets. This was not an ideal solution or me since it occupies the handy external pockets with misc gear (cable, chargers, ets..) and the gear was spreadout.

Overall the ICU is a decent size for smaller video camera like the DVX100or Sony TRV900, etc.., but it's not ideal for the BULKY HVX200.. Ironically I just happened to be doing some winter-time clearing of my gear closet and noticed that the old padded-divider insert for my Pelican 1510 was roughly the same length as the Dakine bag. With that I pulled out the Dakine ICU and replaced it with the dividers. It's about 1 to 2 inches too long, but it still fits since the divider-insert is somewhat plyable. The only draw back is that it reduces the bag's TOP pocket by 85%.

The BENEFIT is that I can fit the HVX200 and all my other gear in the divider-insert and access it through the back panel.

LAPTOP
The Sequence does not have a "dedciated" laptop storage area, but you can place it behind the ICU. This means you have to take out the entire ICU to access the laptop. :-/

With my solution I was able to move all my gear from the side/front prockets to the divider-insert. Now the front pocket fits a 15" laptop. The only bad thing is the pocket is not padded, so "yes" the laptop fits, but it's not really protected. :-/

I will post up some pics soon.

BTW - I stand corrected about Dakine's warranty... Their bags come with a LIFETIME WARRANTY!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-07-2008, 5:27 PM Reply   
So Dave, are you gonna be using that Sequence without the ICU in it?

My Dakine backpack came in the mail today as well...
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-07-2008, 6:17 PM Reply   
please mail pelican 1510 over. thanks.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-07-2008, 7:35 PM Reply   
Scott - I'm going to continue using the Pelican 1510 padded dividers in the Sequence and I gave the ICU to my wife to carry around her photo gear. The ICU is the perfect size for a body, 70-200, 24-70, 50, and misc gear with room the spare.

Joe - The Pelican stays for domestic travels. ;-)
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-07-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
Domestic travels, huh? DPC getting even more world famous?

And yeah, I REALLY like how that ICU is setup to be used all by itself.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-07-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
Got my sequence yesterday too.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-08-2008, 12:29 AM Reply   
Here are the photos of my new 2008 DAKINE Sequence Backpack that I customized with the Pelican 1510 Padded Divider insert:

LOADED - Laptop is in the front pocket
Upload

UNLOADED
Upload

The side pockets are still empty and I will probably use them for my Tekkeon Extended Battery (great for those long flights) and laptop charger.

(Message edited by dcervenka on October 08, 2008)