Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-06-2008, 12:02 PM Reply   
So our river/lake does not have a fuel station. The boat is in a boat slip all the time so it is a pain to go to the gas station for fuel. We just carry gas cans to the lake which is not a bog deal but trying to get new cans that don't have the stupid safety valves on them is impossible. I found this http://www.flofast.com/ wondered if someone has used this systme beofre or has any recomendation on getting about 40-50 Gal down to the lake. Not very far and I do not have a mule, gator etc to haul something so that is our of the question
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-06-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
Most marine stores have gas caddy's for this purpose. Here is one from Overtons
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=31249&pdesc=Todd_Gas_Caddy_Portable_ Fueling_Station_28_Gallon&str=gas%20caddy&merchID= 1008&r=view

Personally, I just use 5 gal cans like you have been doing.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-06-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
I use 5 gallon cans with one of these siphons. Each 5 gallon can in less than 2 minutes. It is the fastest way I have found w/o spending a bunch of money.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SIPHON-GAS-DIESEL-WATER-RV-OIL-AQUARIUM-BOATS-AVIATION3_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ42606QQihZ006 QQitemZ160206010761QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-06-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
Some more like atthelake posted.

http://www.google.com/products?q=gas+cans+caddy&btnG=Search+Products&sho w=dd
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-06-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
The gas caddy is definetly the way to go. I used 5 gallon cans for awhile and always thought the gas caddy would be a waste of money but i broke down and got one probably 4 years ago. Hands down Best investment i have ever made. No more hauling 5 or 6 cans 150 yards down a hill to the lake. Now i just roll it down on the dock, its definetly a must. Plus you'll save money by buying off the street because the pumps on the lakes mark up really bad.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-06-2008, 12:58 PM Reply   
A one inch hose, inside diameter, 6 feet long, some type of foam and some electrical tape. Tape the foam on the hose so it goes to the bottom of the can, about 10 -12 inches, so when pushed into the can it will make it sealed. No air will be allowed in or out. With the hose sealed simply squeeze the plastic gas can in the middle until gas starts coming out of the hose then pull the hose out of the can just enough to break the seal. Or open the breather valve while keep the hose sealed and blow hard into the breather valve, again when gas starts to flow break the seal. 6 gallons will fill in less than 30 seconds. Hope that wasn't to complicated. I've done it for years, works great. P.S. Don't breath in while your mouth is on the breather valve.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-06-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   
Yah nick, I learned that trick the ghetto way. Put the hose in the can, make the seal with your hand, then blow into your hand pressurizing the can starting the siphon.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-06-2008, 1:23 PM Reply   
I use the gas caddy too, it's the easiest way. slow but works. Dont; buy any bigger thant he 15 gallon one. the 30 gallon one gets very hard to handle. I've also used the hunsaker quick flo cans. they pour very fast but if your not comfortable lifting 70-80 pounds them can be cumbersoem. The thing that sucks abotu the gas cady's is the $150 ones haev cheap handles that tend to break, or the hose falls off. Northern tool sells a metal can ( looks liek a long tube) made for the back of a truck for $99, with all metal parts and a good hose/clamp. It's a 15 gallon can. I drilled two small holes in one of the support and attached some $10 lawn mower wheels to it. It is very easy to pull now.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-06-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
FYI, the hunsaker cans can dump about 13 gallons in 30 seconds. Faster than pump gas.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-06-2008, 1:33 PM Reply   
Counties around here have a limit as to how much gas you can pack into a lake for your boat..... usually 10 or 15 gallons. I usually bring 10 gallons myself & ask anyone who comes along to bring another 5. If the boat needs more, it's probably time to pull it & clean it anyway.

I hate those new cans though. I'm always siphoning gas between the ATVs, lawn mower, outboard & inboard with one of those cheap Harbor Freight bulbs.
So I just bought those siphons Stanfield listed. Thanks, hope they work better.
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-06-2008, 2:05 PM Reply   
Another vote for the Hunsaker cans. I bought three for our trip to Powell and now use them almost every weekend. They are very awkward when completely full, so I usually only put in about 8 gallons, just over 50 lbs. They will hold just shy of 13 gallons if filled up to the neck, about 85 lbs.

http://www.hunsakersports.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=3
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-06-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
We just take 5 gallon cans and use the wonder pump. http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=20769&pdesc=Wonder_Pump&str=fuel&mer chID=1008&r=view
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-06-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
I have the same cans doug is using and they are great. I can fill the boat faster then if I were at the pump.
Old     (doug2)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-07-2008, 12:21 AM Reply   
Preston-

Just checked your profile. Wife is a geologist here in OKC and I'm currently running title in SE OK.

I'm happy nat gas is up....

After re-reading your original post, hunsakers might not be the way to go. How far do you have to hump the cans? Can you use a pull cart? Those knobby tire caddies (albeit pricey) might be your best bet.
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-07-2008, 6:49 AM Reply   
Upload
West coat. We all go together and buy this. Should keep our prices down
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-07-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
Doug,
good to know there are some more of us out there trying to find the worl some more hydrocarbons to burn.

I have on order a few VP racing cans and 1 Hunsaker 11 GAL. I am going to so how these work and then either purchase more or further my research. I had one of those Gas Doll things and it irritated me. Pain in the butt to get in and our of my 2500HD PU and then the gravity feed only got about 90 percent of the gas out. I had the pump too and it just took forever. The pump on the other cans mentioned above looked a little better but now that I think about it the racing style cans look like the answer. I will keep this thread alive or post a new one on my findings

THanks to all who helped

Preston
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-07-2008, 7:33 AM Reply   
Eat beans and drink prune juice.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       02-07-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
Preston, whatever kind of cans you get, I would get one of these to carry them in:
Upload

I have a gas caddy and it is OK, but it is not that easy to push through the soft grass I have to go over; couple hundred feet. I sometimes pull it behind a golf cart. Plus the caddy only has one use. You could use the wagon for tons of stuff.
(the one in the pic above is $65 at Tractor Supply)

(Message edited by Rich_G on February 07, 2008)
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-07-2008, 10:25 PM Reply   
A siphon hose and any 40+ foot go fast in the next slip...added plus they always run premo fuel. JUST KIDDING!!
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-08-2008, 5:58 AM Reply   
I know a guy with a 200 gallon tank installed on his prpoerty with the line ran out to the end of his dock. The local gas company (typically heating oil delivery) also delivers regular gas to his tank once a month or as needed. Works rather well and it has saved my ass a few times on the lake!
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-08-2008, 5:00 PM Reply   
the gas caddys are expensive! i sell VP Racing 5 gal. fuel jugs, the have a big dia. flexable hose, and a big dia. vent so they empty quick!!! no messing around with the walmart gas cans!!

kal
www.xtremefabrication.com
www.kaldude.unfranchise.com
262-968-2514
414-801-0297
Old     (matt_t)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-09-2008, 5:41 PM Reply   
Lots of beans and egg salad!!!
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-10-2008, 3:42 AM Reply   
That's a good way to get banned from the boat Matt! For me at least.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2008, 9:41 AM Reply   
If you are at property that you can do it. Fleet fuel services will lease you a above ground 200 gallon tank and make deliveries as needed but it has to be more then 100 gallons a month. You get fuel for less then at the pump so the tank lease fees comes out to be free and you get 30 day billing. Best thing going.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       02-11-2008, 11:22 AM Reply   
If you have a shorestation/lift of some sort I stole my setup from Stan Tanner's setup. Where the fill caps are on my VLX are directly behind the leg/brace making it really hard to get at when on the lift.

I took a 3" piece of PVC and some big hose clamps and a bunch of converters and 1" or 1.5" tubing. I just pour into the big piece of 3" PVC and have a on/off valve on the bottom for emergencies. I don't even use a funner or those stupid yellow nozles, just open and pour as fast as I can it goes down the 3" into the hose and about 6' over to the back of the boat. I only have the on/off as an emergency incase I overfill or need to shut it off. I also have a cap I put on to keep bugs and dirt out. Works so well, no more dripping, no more yellow pour hoses falling out/off/leaking, no more hanging over the water trying not to fall in. Just stand on the pier and pour.
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-11-2008, 11:50 AM Reply   
You guys are just nifty with all your fancy gadgets. You know what my dad did? He bought five 7 gallon gas cans, drove to the gas station, filled them up, drove home, walked inside, and used that infamous creation called a teenager to move the 35 gallons of gasoline around. This happens regularly. Getchya big and strong, yessirree.
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-11-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
Brooke, any issues with fuel breaking down the plastics? I like that idea. Any advice on building one or things you'd do differently? Hold the PVC to the lift with hose clamps?

Nick, I'd say you've got it pretty good. Imagine buying the cans, fuel and then having to move 'em around
Old     (the_right_kind)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-11-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
FLOFAST?
3. Simply rotate the crank arm at a rate of 1 revolution per second and
you will be dispensing 5 gallons per minute. WOW

We got 2-15 gallon poly drums and a simple siphon. 15 gallons is about the max you can mussel around, then use a hand truck to move them down to the boat.
Here is a link to some polyethylene drums, 2 handles.
http://www.labsafety.com/store/Material_Handling/Drums_and_Pails/Plastic_Drums/10940/?No=15

(Message edited by the_right_kind on February 11, 2008)
Old     (wakeboardern1)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-11-2008, 8:20 PM Reply   
I've had to buy the fuel plenty of times. That derned jetski sucked away three paychecks before I finally stopped riding it all the time...

If we get a boat this summer, I've got to pay for all of the gas though, which means lots and lots and lots of trips to the gas station and very little money for anything but riding and driving to work. Hooray for the Keep the Change thing from bank of america!
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       02-12-2008, 9:57 AM Reply   
I hold the PVC 3" pipe to the upright with 3 large adjustable clamps, the kind you screw to tighten. The only thing I would do differently now is that when I go from the 3" down to the hose, I have several various size reducers and things, I would put a 90 'L' at the bottom because I after I glued it all together with it all going straight down, i get a little kink in the hose that slows my flow and it caused me to mount it higher up than I wanted to because I have to stay above the back of the boat for a good gravity flow. I would just put an L so that I could mount the tube lower and keep the flex tubing from kinking.

I haven't had any issues with leaking/degrading of the tubing. I would think my flex tubing will go first and I'll just rework it if that day comes. Probably clamp instead of glue the flex onto it so I can easily replace it. Otherwise, no issues after 1 year of use 1 to 2 times per week.