Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (rugdr)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-18-2010, 5:37 AM Reply   
I was just wondering if anybody could suggest to me a longer life vest than your normal vest, as far as length. I am only about 6' to 6'1" but every vest I have tried seems short and rides up my chest. I guess part of my problem to is that my upper body is so thick and wide that most vest end up short on my torso. Any advice is helpful and if it helps I currently use an Oneil Outlaw vest. Thanks everyone.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2010, 6:23 AM Reply   
Are you looking for a comp or CGA? I have the oniel revenge CGA, and it's perfect. I too am 6'1
Old     (rugdr)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-18-2010, 6:46 AM Reply   
Either one is great...I may buy one of each. The CGA will probably be the best since we go out so late in the day during the week. It seems we get more lake police out that time of day.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-18-2010, 6:57 AM Reply   
My favs:
Old Oneill boost (new ones are as good)
Oneill Checkmate (I think its called)

I'm 6' and the boost is short but now wide, the checkmate is long and narrow
Old    ajmac            02-18-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
I'm 6' and my billabong vest comes down to my board shorts. real happy with how it fits.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-18-2010, 7:55 AM Reply   
I rock an oneil guru comp vest, and its pretty long. i see you've got an oneil already hmmm.. Maybe size up and it will fit you better.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-18-2010, 8:20 AM Reply   
Nacho, sizing up just makes it drift up more. go tight so it doesnt move.

Rugdr, for Oneill the revenge (CGA and comp) and checkmate are longer vests. But the lack of buckles on the checkmate make it tend to roll up on a hard crash.
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-18-2010, 9:01 AM Reply   
Im 6'4" and have the Billabong Modernism vest. It is very long and has the simple elastic drawstring at the bottom that does not ride up.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-18-2010, 10:04 AM Reply   
Oneill Outlaw is my favorite vest I've had, and I've had almost all of the Oneill's.

IMO, you've gotta have at least one buckle, otherwise they roll or slide up on hard crashes.

The Guru, just flat out, didn't float me.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-18-2010, 10:05 AM Reply   
Yup i'm almost 6'1" and i've been rocking the Billabong impact vest CGA http://www.billabong.com/eu/product-cat/228/impact-vests#item_2726_impact-vest-ce-approved-pyle-type3

Its long, i guess it rides up just like all the rest though. its been habit since i started riding to adjust my sh!z when i'm getting pulled out the water. But its a good vest, i'd reco it.
Old     (rugdr)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-18-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
Thanks for the info guys. I do have one other question. For those of you who have the Non CGA vest, how well do they hold you up? Just curious as to how well getting knocked out would play out in a Non CGA. Thanks again!
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-18-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
thats actually, exactly why i wear CGA. Knocked myself out face down, stopped breathing, bla bla bla...

... 2 days and a ER visit later after i started remembering where i lived and worked. I pretty much made the decision that cga is for me, weather or not comp could do the job or not. I'm not that fat so i pretty much float like a stone.
Old     (xbones)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-18-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
I second the Checkmate... I ride that vest... its long and SUPER comfortable:
Upload

And yes I'm riding with the rope b/t my legs :-) Resting during a marathon photo shoot set Haha
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-18-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
JetPilot Dillon Gun (Chris O'sheas) vest is longer and very comfortable!
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
I stay far away from non cga, I'd sink like a stone in one at 220lbs. The new CGAs are thin enough to not hinder your movement.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-18-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
I ride a helium (josh sanders i think) from a couple years ago. I'm 6'1, 180 and it just hits the top of my shorts. I've also ridden my friends guru and that one hit the top of my shorts as well.

As far as CGA vs non, at my weight i dont have an issue with it not floating me, then again it takes a set or two to get used to the decreased floatation. Whenever I have friends over that use my vest they are sputtering and slightly panicy that they think they're sinking. Just takes some getting used to.

I have never had an incident where i was knocked unconcious (knock knock) but in my mind, if your baord is strapped in and youre floating face down, even a CGA won't roll you over. I could be wrong though. Good luck
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-18-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
Yea the guru isn't very buoyant at all. I mainly wakeskate and surf with it. Looking for a comfy CGA for this year.
Old     (kamighazi)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-18-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
jeff you're right, CGA is not going to flip you over for sure. but, the boat can see you in trouble quickly and react quickly.

My board popped off in my situation, and a comp vest (depending on the make) probably wouldn't have kept me high enough to be very visible. it was close to 9pm, with low visibility (i know, problem #1). But if you kinda floating, kinda submerged there is def room for more trouble.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-18-2010, 2:05 PM Reply   
...and if you knock the wind out of yourself the non cga isn't going to float you at all
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-18-2010, 7:27 PM Reply   
I'm 6'1" and my Helium Swat is pretty long, definitely touches my shorts, and I wear them on the low side of my waist (just to show my support for crack).
Old     (96formula)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-19-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
Did Helium go out of business?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-20-2010, 8:16 AM Reply   
http://www.stearnsflotation.com/Heliumreg-Wake-Jackets-C33.aspx
No I dont think so.