Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-09-2008, 11:13 PM Reply   
So on sunday i was on my second set of the day at Don Pedro, everything was going until i did a nice stalefish into the flats and caught an edge. I got knocked out and when I woke up I was upside down in the water (I wasnt out for that long, but i dont remember landing) and when i came up i layed there for a minute or two then I started coughing up blood. Not a whole lot but a good amount. My right ear is all messed up and my jaw is messed up if i bit down my teeth on the right side dont touch.

So my question is where do u think im bleeding from? And evertime i take a deep breath i start to cough.

Has anyone else coughed up blood from wakeboarding

(Message edited by 2007_x2 on June 09, 2008)
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-09-2008, 11:15 PM Reply   
sounds like you are bleeding from the...

GO TO A DOCTOR: If you are coughing up blood, its probably a good idea to get off the internet, and go to the hospital.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-09-2008, 11:31 PM Reply   
I took a digger once, instantly puked and spit up blood.... donno where it came from but my mom (nurse) said I would be fine, if it kept up get it checked out... I would go with her thinking, if it keeps up check it out
Old     (goride)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-09-2008, 11:33 PM Reply   
Better to be safe than sorry. Id say go get checked out you never know
Old     (morty)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-10-2008, 1:28 AM Reply   
Same thing happened to me last year, my dad is a paremedic and he said it was just a couple broken blood vessels in my throat and not a big deal, I was riding later that day. But it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-10-2008, 1:34 AM Reply   
are any of you guys doctors? if so, you guys are awesome docs - able to diagnose online!
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-10-2008, 4:56 AM Reply   
and dont forget the $20 co-pays to all of us. (after reviewing his post up yes I concur with Mr Ryan Morris.)
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-10-2008, 5:51 AM Reply   
Joe, I beat you by a few posts...
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-10-2008, 6:39 AM Reply   
I concur with Drs. Schmidt and Umali. GET TO A DOCTOR!!!

As for my area of expertise, if your teeth don't touch on one side, you may have a broken or dislocated jaw, and the advice is the same. GET TO A DOCTOR!!!
Old     (cwfunrider)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-10-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
Don't go to the doctor. We need a little thinning of the population.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-10-2008, 7:54 AM Reply   
Wow people rely on this site for everything!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-10-2008, 8:05 AM Reply   
Going to the doctor will be your call, but if you don't, lay off the wakeboarding and other potentially head banging sports for a week or so. There is a good chance you had a concussion and repeated trauma on an already swollen brain can be fatal.

A little off topic, but what ever happened to Corey from TX? I hope all ended well for him. WW really rallied behind him.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-10-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
From DallasWakeboarding.com:

just thought i would point this out to everyone. Its been a year today since colby had his accident. Hes still considered(sp) to be in a coma but is doing better. He went from 115 pounds after the accident to what he is now 175. Hes been very alert but still doesnt talk. just a lil update not much else has changed, just keep the prayers coming cause i know he will snap out of it!!!!!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-10-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
Oooops - I didn't mean any disrespect with the wrong name.

Thanks for the update Rich.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-10-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
If I coughed up blood i would be at the doctor's office so fast that even Nick Hogan couldn't beat me there
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-10-2008, 8:52 AM Reply   
I did that once on a heel 5 faceplant and started to cough up blood instantly, I pulled the rest of the crew, dropped off the boat and went to the hospital. They did an x ray and told me I was fine and that the reason for the blood was that I crashed so hard that I ruptured some blood vessels in my trachia(spell?). I was told that I would be fine in a day or so. I continued to cough up blood that night and about half way into the next day but then slowly it went away and I was fine. I am NOT saying that this is what happened to you and you should go get checked out for sure but I thought I would share a similar story. That damn heel 5 has put me on the bench so many times but I love the way they feel.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-10-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
Go to the Doc, I bruised my lungs once and was coughing up blood.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-10-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
So im going to go to the urgent care in a bit because ive been dizy all day and my vision has been blurry. also my jaw is killing me. ill let u guys know wats up it the coughing and jaw and head.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-10-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
Good luck. Your symptoms are almost text book for a concussion.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-10-2008, 12:34 PM Reply   
yeah i know it sux this would be number 5 or 6. ill find out in a bit and let u guys know my gf is comin to pick me up
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-10-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
so i just got home and after 6 hours. i went to urgent care and they sent me to the ER after i told them the symptoms. in the ER they did a few x-rays and they said i bruised my jaw, bruised my lungs and have a concussions. they said that ill be fine but if i start coughing up blood again to come back but they dont see it happening. thank guys for ur concern.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-10-2008, 9:53 PM Reply   
I've got nothing to add but that has got to be the best thread title I've seen in a long time
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-11-2008, 12:09 AM Reply   
thanks bro i tired to think of something cool but yet relate exactly to the thread
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-11-2008, 7:58 AM Reply   
If you woke up upside down wouldn't that be as much cause for concern as anything. Maybe it was really fast and you would have come up, but were you wearing an approved vest?
Being unconscious under water is generally not good for your health.
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       06-11-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
im sure i would have came up after awhile but when i woke up i was completly upside down not moving like if i was standing with my board floating. i wasnt out for that long. i was not wearing a approved vest i was wearing the oneill checkmate that i just got, im glad i got that one because i was debating between that and the gooru. the gooru would not float me at all, especially if i had came out of the board.