Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-19-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
Yesterday a friend and I were scoping out a couple of spots on the Provo river where you could tie a rope to a bridge and try to surf the rapids. Has anyone tried this before? We found a few with a nice current and some rolling rapids. One concern is that I only have skim style boards and I worry I might not have enough flotation. Also a leash is a definite must have.
Old     (abhoe157)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-19-2007, 10:17 PM Reply   
umm arent rapids made by the water hitting rocks and being diverted?? probably not the safest idea
Old    meyerb            02-19-2007, 11:21 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0tRXWFIpEA
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-20-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
There's a spot I've been eye balling for a while now. Problem is it's right in the middle of a kayak park.

I wouldn't worry too much about the skim/floatation issue. Once underway, the shape of the board has way more to do with keeping you up. The only thing floatation really helps with is getting up from a belly start.

Go hit that river and get some video.

A brain bucket and a vest are probably a good idea as well.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-20-2007, 10:03 AM Reply   
We surfed the South Fork of the American River. We scouted the river first to find a spot to surf. Took a trail well upstream. Jumped in and floated down to our surf spot. You need to pay close attention or you will float right by it. Anyway once you find the right spot the current from the water hitting an underground obsticle with produce a wave on the surface. Once you are there surf on. The wave continues to change so you will und up down stream. We had helmets and PFD's on.
Late$
Wadd
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-20-2007, 2:59 PM Reply   
Bryan, that's about what I had in mind. It would be nice If I could drop the handle. Water is way too cold right now, but I'm getting the itch.

I'll be sure to wear the helmet and try to have a safety rope down stream when you get swept away.

I would be jumping in from the side with a rope. I'll try to get some pics of the spot later.
Old     (lostrider19)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-20-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
Heres a mellow ride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ93TMG65JQ
this is insane
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcQ-vIKZbics

This summer me and some friends are gonna try and surf the wakarusa wave
Old     (caskimmer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-21-2007, 6:44 AM Reply   
more my style-http://www.wavehouseathleticclub.com/content.aspx?id=34

(Message edited by CAskimmer on February 21, 2007)
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-21-2007, 7:46 AM Reply   
that's what i'm all about sean.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-21-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
If only they had one of those in Utah.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-07-2007, 7:06 PM Reply   
Here's a pic of one of the nice spots, its starting to warm up a bit. I would tie a rope to the bridge to help me start and then hopefully be able to drop the rope and surf.Upload
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-08-2007, 11:57 AM Reply   
I would stay away from the low head dam. They are a death trap trap. The white water at the base of it called a hole, stopper, or keeper. The water flowing over the dam is forced downward in a loop style reversal. The rebounding water splits at the surface and some is pushed downstream and part flows back upstream. The reverse flow tends to have the object recirculated, stopped or kept, hence the name stopper or keeper. Bacically you can get stuck in the whitewater and continually pulled under without moving downstream.
Board More/Work Less!
Wadd$
Old     (nickypoo)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-08-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
Whoa, yeah, you don't want to surf that. As tempting as that nice glassy face is, Johnny is right, death trap. Natural formations are dangerous enough, but a low head dam, bad news dude.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-09-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
I think the picture may make the river look bigger than it is. At most its about 2-3 feet deep here. I'm 6'4". Personally I wouldn't really be worried about it. We would have a spotter with rope on the shore to pull you out if needed. Helmet, wetsuit and vest worn. But because of your warning I will definitely use extra caution.

So if I do try it, wouldn't the best place to surf be right on top of the whitewash?
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       03-09-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
Hey Nick, I saw a thing on the discovery channel the other day about a guy up in Oregon who does it all the time on a big river up there. In the documentary all the kyakers cheered him on and thought it was awesome. You might be surprised how people react if you ask nicely.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-09-2007, 4:44 PM Reply   
Hi Rob,
We did something similar when I was living in Provo on a low head dam (at least looked similar to your pic). But we were never able to surf freely - always had to have a rope. I think we actually had it attached to the board (piece of plywood in our case).

That spot may work but you might try looking for more of a freestanding wave. Check out this pic:
http://www.riversurfing.ca/index.php?page=pics&folder=pics/10th%20Street%202005&img=10street.jpg&parent=pics/
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-12-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
i second the 'don't do it' vibe. In cincinnati a few years ago a boat dealer died on a test drive. the boat stalled out on a river and went over a very small dam. the water is very shallow there and it doesn't look dangerous. the two people could not get out of that 'stopper/keeper'. i couldn't believe that after riding on that river several times. i didn't think you would be 'trapped', but it happened.

don't want to be debbie downer, but those things are big time dangerous. if you do it - have a couple spotters with ropes. that would help imo