Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    renegade            07-21-2003, 2:19 PM Reply   
I've been wanting to get my bimini and lights puton my boat since before summer started. My MC dealer has the lights and the bimini i want but everytime i drop theboat off I'll call them a week later and they haven't touched the boat. I kind of forgot about it for a month and jsut called to see when to bring it down. I'm bringing it down tomorrow for the lights and bimini and also a tune up for the engine. I don't want to call them being a hassle but how long should this all take? Thanks alot
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-22-2003, 8:16 AM Reply   
half a morning in your garage at home......
Old    renegade            07-22-2003, 9:38 AM Reply   
thats what I told my dad but his response was "with a boat that has a price like this we should be leaving it all to the "professionals"...so does anyone have an idea on how long it should take the MC dealer and not how long it would take me haha
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-22-2003, 12:32 PM Reply   
Elliot,

Depending on the dealer and their workload, it could be awhile for a simple job like that? Unfortunately too many dealers consider jobs like yours to not be a big "money maker".....

However, be weary of when the boat does finally get on top of their list, they will most likely "thoroughly" diagnose all of the many things that can be wrong (in their eyes) with a boat, come tune up time! Nice way for them to meet their "minimum service" write-ups and garner as much revenue as possible.

Think of it this way: we found this wrong with your boat, do you want it fixed now or would you like to wait another three weeks for scheduling, next time when this breaks out on the water while enjoying boarding? You get the picture.....

Anyhow, all of what you mentioned should not take a properly qualified tech more than and entire day, if that, to complete? Their previous work and scheduling will of course take precedence, this is where the wait originates.........

Good luck and for future consideration, try to "prep" the boat as much as possible before dropping off, (mounting lights, guiding wire, attaching bimini mounts, etc....) this will give them more of a persuasion to expedite!

Good luck.....
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-22-2003, 12:34 PM Reply   
Let's put this into perspective:

The boat dealer probably lives on a pretty tight budget. He has to hire a certain number of people, and can't afford to keep people sitting around. During the summer, when things are busy, these people might be busy, but come fall he either has to lay these people off or pay them to do nothing.

As a result, they are always short handed during the summer. Some customers have real problems: their boat won't run.

If you were the dealer, and had to choose between boat A, which needs engine work done so its owner can leave on his vacation, or boat B, which needs a set of cool looking lights installed, which would you work on?

For things like the bimini and lights, ether do it yourself or wait till the fall. I am sure the dealer will be really happy to see you around November.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-22-2003, 1:36 PM Reply   
were the bimini and lights ordered when you ordered the boat???

if the answer is yes, you should be first in line, regardless of how busy the dealer is!!! These should have been on the boat when you took delivery. This happened to me, and I bitched till it was fixed.
If the answer is no, you should investigate doing it yourself, or schedule with the dealer.

just my $.02

KG
Old    supraboarder            07-25-2003, 9:52 PM Reply   
Oh and by the way, if you think you're pestering them by calling, who cares??? I dropped my boat off for service at a supra dealer and they dicked around for a while so I made it a point to call 4 times a day(literally) leaving message after message for the service tech who was supposed to be working on my boat, but yet everytime I would call I would get the "oh he's working on a boat, leave a message and he'll call you back." I got to be on a first name basis with most of the people who answered the phone, but I was getting pissed that after two weeks I still had no word on when my boat was going to be ready. Believe me, call as much as it takes to get a straight answer out of them for how long it'll take, then hold them to it.
Old     (jeffcanary62)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-26-2003, 12:05 PM Reply   
whats up elliott, sorry to change the topic but you wanna ride some time, i live over in northport and ride in huntington harbor
Old    renegade            07-26-2003, 4:52 PM Reply   
yea man that'd be awesome...email me Grenade32@aol.com....alright so I went to pick the boat up today which they told me today everything would be done.. well to my surprise I go down and see the lights up which are dope as hell but not bimini.. Their story is that they ordered the wrong one and that it wouldn't fit and now its gonna take 3 weeks for it to come so I was like alright whatever..than i ask hows the engine.. well that wasn't taken care of either and they have no idea what it is so now i have to bring it back next week...only if i knew what the hell I was doing I would fix this crap myself...
Old    clint            07-26-2003, 5:23 PM Reply   
Elliott - sorry to hear you seem to be last on your dealer's list. Sounds like a dealer around here. You are their best buddy in the world when you're buying a $50,000 boat but when you aren't bringing in buckets of money you're the red-headed stepchild.

For what it's worth, if a local canvas shop is doing the bimini for the dealer, it may be easier for all concerned for you to just go to the canvas shop. Usually canvas isn't a profit center for the dealer. That may explain the shabby treatment. Doesn't excuse it, just explains it.
Old    renegade            07-26-2003, 7:17 PM Reply   
sounds like something I might look into..or order one online....I'm just gonna get stoked on the lights a go ride...I'll leave the rest of the bitching for later