Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-02-2004, 1:10 PM Reply   
A new season is upon us. There's no one more thankful than I am, that warmer days are coming up. There are people still riding in this "off-season," fine tuning their fundamental skills, and trying to acquire new ones. There are some of us though that have used this off-season as a way to get away from wakeboarding to try something new. Some took up snowboarding. Others tried their hand at snow skating. Either way, I know you're like me and completely looking forward to the upcoming season.

As I sit here suffering from Short-timer's Disease, I'm thinking about wakeboarding. (surprise, surprise) I'm thinking about the first time I set my feet in the bindings and thought, "I'm gonna kill myself!" On that first run, though, I was hooked. And from that time, aside from my son, wakeboarding has been my only passion. It was the most fun I had ever had on water! And the camaraderie, I found was amazing. It was amazing how one would push one another, from getting up the first time, to trying a raley! And everyone summed up wakeboarding the same way:

"There's nothing like being out on the boat w/ the best of friends."

After riding some of the winter of 2002-03, I realized that there was no way in hell I was going to ride during the winter of 03-04. I had to think of something to take its place, sort of speak. If you're familiar w/ Seattle winter, you know that skateboarding isn't much of an option, as skating in the rain isn't that fun. Snowboarding was the obvious choice.

I've gone snowboarding before. Not too often…maybe 4-5 times during the winters of '99 and '00. I totally sucked at it! So trying it for the first time this winter, I was a little worried. Worried that I was going to hurt myself. Worried that I wasn't going to have a good time. Worried that I wasn't going to have the patience to go through the learning process. Turns out, I was worried for nothing! On the first run down the hill (don't laugh, it was the bunny hill!), I was falling a lot. Midway through the run though, it seemed to just click! I was carving back and forth! Though I was still falling, I was able to carve back and forth comfortably. I went down the bunny hill again after the initial run, but that was the last I saw of that.

I did hurt myself, which so far, has ended my snowboarding season. Stupid me, I thought I could go off a big tabletop full speed and land it. Got off balance, put my hands out under me to break my fall…BOOM! Bye bye wrist! It's not bad…It's almost at 100%.

Inspite of getting hurt, I was totally stoked on snowboarding. It helped to get my mind off missing wakeboarding for a while. It didn't replace my passion for wakeboarding, but it was a good alternative.

With the warm days ahead of us (booo...6 weeks of winter left, thanks to Punxsutawney Phil seeing his shadow), it's time to start thinking of goals for wakeboarding. Some of us have a long list of goals, whereas others will set to accomplish 1 or 2 things. There are those that will compete in local and national tournaments, and others riding to outdo their crew. Whatever the case may be, don't let go of the most important thing. Remember the reason why you kept doing it in the first place…because it's fun! Make that your #1 goal! Make that your riding partner's #1 goal! It not only makes the day a good one for you and your crew, but it also makes riding a lot more enjoyable. If you go out to try new tricks, and you let it get to you, it sometimes dampers other people's day. There's nothing wrong w/ trying new things. Just don't let it dictate your day of riding.

Yeah, I know this from experience. I used to beat myself up trying 360s…physically and mentally. I'd get so down about not stickin' it, that it affected the rest of my riding, and pretty much pissed off the rest of my crew. After coming to the realization that my attitude was bringing my riding down as well as pissin' people off, I just didn't let it get to me as much anymore. I had to keep in mind why I rode…because it's fun! If I was no longer having fun, I shouldn't be doing it! At that point, I kept a good attitude, whether I landed a new trick or not! Eventually, it helped my riding and stuck the 3!

So, needless to say, my goal this year is to have fun, each and every time out. I realize I'm not always going to land a new trick, or even land every trick I know each time I try them. But, I know my chances of landing new and old tricks are better if I don't put pressure on myself. Don't get me wrong. It's cool to set goals in your riding. Just don't make it the only point in riding. I'd like to set a goal in that I want to get all my tricks back. It'd be great if that happened. But, I'd be happy simply with just the opportunity to ride.

"There's nothing like being out on the boat w/ the best of friends."
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-02-2004, 1:38 PM Reply   
Amen Joe... That last line says it all.

(Message edited by ivyrider on February 02, 2004)
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-02-2004, 1:47 PM Reply   
nice.........
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       02-02-2004, 2:10 PM Reply   
Hey Joe how ya doing my name is Shawn Wilson. I think that having fun is the most important thing about riding. Actually you almost toke the words out of my mouth. Well I've been riding since the skurfer days and I was still in grade school. But I've been competiting in the Canyon Lake Wakeboard Club Tournament Series for the last for years. The year before last I was having a real hard time, because I was competiting not only in the CLWC Series, but the So-Cal Wakesports Series also, and that year CLWC had 10 tourneys and So-Cal had 5. Thats 15 tournaments in 10 months. I felt like my riding was suffering because I was doing the same old tournament run over and over, and i wasn't learning anything new, and it wasn't FUN anymore. Secondly I felt I wasn't good enough to compete in my class (MENS 20-29 years old), but at the same time I would have been sandbagging in Novice, and we all hate sandbaggers. Anyways I started to think whats the problem here? When I realized I just wasn't having fun. Next thing I know Anette from CLWC called me and said she wanted to do a rider profile on me and, she asked me what I want everyone to remember about this interview, and my reply was. To Remember why we all started Wakeboarding, because its fun...Now everytime I ride I try to go out there and have as much fun as I can, because you never know one day you might end up like our friend Danny Dean who may not ride again. My new attitude has helped a lot last season I learned 2 new inverts and was Co-Champion along with Sean Canaday in the Mens Division of the CLWC Series. I can't wait to see what this season holds for us. Joe I'm glad to see that you and others share the same values as me as a wakeboarder.

P.S. I hope all the best to Danny and his family.

P.S.S Sorry to ramble.
Old    buttacup            02-02-2004, 8:44 PM Reply   
Nice words there Joe. I think having fun should be at the top of the list each time you hit the water. I hope this summer is better than last years (last summer was awesome). I was able to go riding almost every weekend, met alot of great people (new friends and a few pros) and was happy to be outdoors enjoying what mother nature gave me (sun and water). Riding helped me by keeping my mind off other things and allowed me to go out and have fun even though I stuck at riding . I want to have another epic summer by being out on a boat with friends, meeting new people and trying new stuff on the water (that leaves an endless list there with that last goal...lol)

(Message edited by buttacup on February 02, 2004)