Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-06-2010, 7:02 PM Reply   
This is a Chinese copy of a Russia Yak. A 1962 Warbird Trainer. A friend flew it into Pine Mountain airport 40 Mins from the lake. We drove up to take a look at it. This thing reminded me of a old VW bug. Very basic and NO saftey percautions. Im having the itch to start flying. My dad used to have a plane and I knew the basic's but never wanted to realy get into it. Its funny how thing's change as you get older. Sitting it I started to get nervous. I wanted to fly. Our friend offerd to take us for a ride but I wasent ready. This guy is a NUT BALL. He flys this thing fully aerobatic I knew even if I asked him to take it easy it would be the most crazy ride of my life. He took of and came back at us at about 6 feet off the ground and then rolled it over upside down and flew away NUT's

Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-06-2010, 8:34 PM Reply   
You'll be hooked in an instant! I have my private pilots license and my dad has a Piper Cherokee. Boats and airplanes are two toys that you don't want to own at the same time. If you do decide to start taking lessons make sure you are able to fly three times per week until you take your check ride, and especially three times per week once you have soloed.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-07-2010, 10:03 AM Reply   
I can't believe you didn't go up with him. I would have jumped at the opportunity to ride in that thing. I completed my pilots license 10 years ago and haven't flown since, it is not nearly as fun and relaxing as I had hoped. I only logged 110 hours, but it was a lot of book work and flying with a trainer that sucked a lot of the enjoyment (and money) out of it for me. I hope you have a different experience.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-07-2010, 10:24 AM Reply   
I love to fly around in small planes, and never turn down an opportunity to go up. We have flown all over CA and across the country, headed to the Bahama's. Someday I will get my license and own a plane.

I gotta ask though...what is the air tank for?
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       04-07-2010, 10:26 AM Reply   
I was wondering the same thing about the air tank so I googled it. Turns out the Nanchang has an air system to operate flight controls, landing gear, as well as the starter.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-07-2010, 11:51 AM Reply   
Matt's correct. Everything runs on air. Flaps, Brakes,and yes to start it you need air. The plane makes its own compressed air around 800 lbs and higher.

For some reason the plane ran out of air when he tryed to start in and that lead to a Magical Adventure trying to find a local person that had a tank and compressed air. They eneded up having to go to a dive shop in Modesto to rent a tank. He said in the 5 plus years the plane has only needed outside air 2 times.
Old     (69flyguy)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-07-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant_west View Post
Matt's correct. Everything runs on air. Flaps, Brakes,and yes to start it you need air. The plane makes its own compressed air around 800 lbs and higher.

For some reason the plane ran out of air when he tryed to start in and that lead to a Magical Adventure trying to find a local person that had a tank and compressed air. They eneded up having to go to a dive shop in Modesto to rent a tank. He said in the 5 plus years the plane has only needed outside air 2 times.
CJ-6 is an interesting little trainer... the Chinese modified the Yak18 design & bult it w/a retractable landing gear.
There are only around 200 that are still airworthy...
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-07-2010, 12:18 PM Reply   
Damn, I hear scuba gear called life support all the time, but air powered flight controls IS the meaning of life support.

Sounds like your buddy needs to get out the soapy water and find the leak. Every time before descending into the deep we do a bubble check to look for air leaks. Seems like a gauge and a few minutes would show any air leaks on the airplane.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-07-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
I don't know if its a situation where he has a leek or it's a situation where the plane took a long time to try and start because it was so cold out and it had been sittting for a few days and used up all his air. Kind of like fludding your car with gas and then killing your battery trying to start. I bet finding a air leek in somthing like this is not quite as easy as on your scuba system.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-07-2010, 2:34 PM Reply   
I can't believe you didn't take him up on the offer! Back in '96, I rode in an open aerobatic biplane. The bug to get my license has been with me ever since.
That is one awesome looking plane, mang!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-11-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Well I went up yesterday for a flight over the lake. We took off out of Oakdale airport. A few mins later we were over Tulloch. The view was so awesome. The hills are green and there is water almost every where. The Pilot was very nice to me. He did a few sharp turns and right away I could tell I was not having it. My stomach was all over the place. From that point he took it easy and I got my stomach back. A few mins later He let me fly. I was supprised at how much the plane fly's like I expected it to. I have been flying RC planes and it was so cool how the stick reacted just like a RC plane. In just min's we were over New Malonies. He flew it just feet off the water and then up and over threw the Malonies spill way. I so wish we have video recorded it. The walls of the spill way seemed so close to the ends of the wing's it was a super cool experiance. It was so cool to just piont the plane anywhere your wanted to go and in moments you were there. I texted my dad while in the air and told him to go stand on the deck of the lake house. He texted back and said he could see us. I pointed out the house and the Pilot aimed the plane for the house. We dove right at it and then banked hard left as we buzzed right by back of the house and climbed out and then snap rolled right as we went inverted and vertical, I was not expecting that it was out of this world. My dad took a few shots with his I pone sorry they are so small. He side we flew by so fast he couldn't get us.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-11-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
The picture above is of us rolling inverted. That's where my stomach was like No more. LOL I dont know how aerobatic pilots can hang. I was a total light weight. I had to crack the canopy and get some fresh ari in the cabin and just fly back smooth and mellow. Once i got on the ground. I was still pretty shakey.
LOL It was a super cool experiance
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-12-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
Cool man... Sounds like a blast. Neat looking plane, too.