Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-18-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
Hello everyone,
I'm bumming. . . The second time out on my new Hyperlite 5'11" Landlock, both fins fell off. The screws are still in place, and only protrude 3/16" or so . . . needless to say, the fins were not connected very well to begin with. Has this happened to any of you? Seems to me, it is a bad design, and I'm hoping they can be warranted. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-18-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
I would definitly bring it to your dealer, and see if they can fix it. Sounds like it wasn't your fault.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-18-2007, 7:21 PM Reply   
Yes it has happened to me but I've lost the right side fin twice. I just went to the local shop and got 2 sets(4 fins) from a broadcast which are smaller. The landlock is a big board but with the smaller fins you track just as well if not better, and they haven't broken off in about 2 years. Maybe go to a hardware store and get a couple screws too. But I hated those goliath fins to begin with. Good luck man
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-18-2007, 7:35 PM Reply   
"goliath fins," well said, they are/were huge. Thanks for the words . . . I have called my dealer, and they are ordering new fins.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-18-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
Did you order smaller ones... cause to be honost I fell off the landlock one time and those "goliath fins" hit me in the right heel and sliced a nice chunk off me. I couldn't wakeboard for a month cause I couldn't get my foot in the binding, and I had to be on my toes to surf haha.
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-18-2007, 9:45 PM Reply   
Huh?? I'm glad you mentioned that, and sorry to hear of your injury. Hopefully, the order hasn't been made, and some smaller fins can be ordered in their stead.

Thanks again for the responses.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-19-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
This happened to me last summer.

I called HL and asked them about it (the fins coming off). They said it happens a lot. They promised to send me some new ones when they came off backorder. I called several months later and they were still on "backorder". They promised to send them when they came in from the factory. Haven't heard from them since. :-(

The board pretty much sat for about 6 months until I was able to find some from Malibu Dealer's shop in Dallas. I put them on and actually glassed them to the board (with surfboard repair resin). They haven't fell out since.
Old     (krich111)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-19-2007, 2:46 PM Reply   
you got lucky that they fell off. don't worry about putting those monsters back on. get some hyperlite 1.2's and throw them on. You'll be able to carve and turn the board much easier! they did ya a favor!
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2007, 3:52 PM Reply   
Just go to a local shop if available. Thats where we got ours. Hyperlite is good with warrantys and what not they just take too long to get stuff done.
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-19-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
Hey Krich, aren't the Hyperlite 1.2's, wakeboard fins? Are they universal between wake and surf boards?

Thanks.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-19-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
I dunno about 1.2 inch thats what comes on my Byerly I believe. I wouldn't go anything less than a 3 inch fin
Old     (krich111)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-20-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
yeah the 1.2's came off a hyperlite wakeboard. I think it was a premier from a few years back. All my hyperlite stuff has been interchangeable. too bad everyone's stuff wouldn't swap out, it would save us carrying around that big bag of fins on the boat.

the 1.2's have worked great for us
Old     (johnw)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-23-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
I had the same thing happen on my Hyperlite Landlock 5' 11". I just want to throw in a bad word for hyperlite since they would not send out any fins and when they finally did they sent out only one and it was way too small.
Old     (rwb)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-09-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
My dealer took care of me and ordered new fins, still the goliath fins, though. It was good of them to step up and help. . . In the mean time, I borrowed a Hyperlite Broadcast, and have been loving it . . . now it's back to the beast board.

Thanks again for everyone's advice.