Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (madttownrider)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-09-2012, 4:03 PM Reply   
hey guys been riding on the 07 Marius and looking for something new. im not a fan of the continuous rocker and the speed it has. I rode an 08 ronix mana and loved how it was slow, tracky and popped pretty good. because they discontinued that version im looking for a board similar to it. any suggestions?
Old     (PKRONIXONE)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-09-2012, 4:12 PM Reply   
Hey man! Please try the 2012 ronix district! It has the same rocker features as the older mana shape. Smooth consistant continious shape on the outside rails, but has a large 3 stage scooped out of the center. You ride this board and you will be hooked!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-09-2012, 8:11 PM Reply   
The previous one shape is exactly what you describes, a 10 or 11
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-09-2012, 8:37 PM Reply   
check out the OBRIEN Decade and Contra they are bothe super sick with loads of pop.

i think you should become a fan of quick boards though because speed is your friend
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-09-2012, 9:06 PM Reply   
I've been a 3-stage guy for awhile, but I'm thinking of looking for more speed. My old Recoil is slow and lands very hard.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-09-2012, 9:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
I've been a 3-stage guy for awhile, but I'm thinking of looking for more speed. My old Recoil is slow and lands very hard.
JB nailed it on your speed problem. The decade is there most abrupt 3 stage rocker board they have. I can't vouch for the contra but i'm definitely curious
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-09-2012, 9:56 PM Reply   
I've been on a few 3 stage boards and mixed boards as well as some continuous, I've found that i prefer the slower boards and abrupt pop as well. The 10-11 one sounds like a good board for you, it has a medium speed and very abrupt pop as well as sits a bit lower in the water. I've ridden a good mix of boards and have to say my only issue with the one is that it is too tiught. But if that's what you like then go for it. Speed is your friend but if you like a slower board don't hesitate
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-09-2012, 10:04 PM Reply   
I can get you a demo on a Wakeology Stoke 137 and is Abrupt 3 stage, if you like. I ride the stoke and bump the speed by 2 mph, speed helps all aspect of riding and wake... Key to a new board is DEMO the hell out of the market. nothing better than taking a half set on boards and being able to say no it's not me my riding.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-09-2012, 10:34 PM Reply   
When I think about speed vs. pop, I think that to control speed and the line tension that comes with it is the ultimate skill of wakeboarding. That's what's going to get me to where I wanna go. I want to ride at 27 mph and go huge like Darin Shapiro and Randall Harris, but it's really difficult to control the massive energy that comes with doing big tricks with a tight line. I find poppy, wake-to-wake tech tricks a lot easier.

I hope that I'll eventually gain the control I need and learn to love a faster board. I think that ultimately, a fast board with decent pop can take me much bigger than a slow board with excellent pop.
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-10-2012, 4:37 AM Reply   
LF Lyman
Old     (ridemarktwain)      Join Date: Aug 2008       02-10-2012, 5:31 AM Reply   
If you want a lot of pop I have found 3-stage boards with a little more width in the center work for me. The two boards I have riden that claim to be a touch wider are the 06 LF shane and the 10 J-star Republic (now Jobe). I bought the Republic as an extra board (setup with binding that anyone can ride) and ending up putting my bindings on it and riding the board all last year.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-10-2012, 10:53 PM Reply   
hebrew hammer,

i almost feel like i have a similar story as you... except that i feel the recoil and other ss boards all land super soft

*been a 3 stage guy (riding byerlys pro models) until slingshot appeared along with a couple years on the recoil.
*soft landings of the recoil inspired me to ride a little more aggressive.
*got a response so i could up the speed and boost farther into the flats
* landing always in the flats, though fun started making me miss the wake to wake landings.
* lengthened the rope so i could still charge but land wake to wake
*!!!* now i am thinking i might be a hybrid rocker kind of guy, but have yet to buy a board in that category and make the switch.

maybe it is just me, but i remember when i first got and rode my SS response it felt like i needed to wait a little longer before cutting in toward the wake. because of the faster speed i had to wait longer for the slack to be taken up. either my riding changed and i adapted, or i just got used to it... i wasn't noticing it as much, but i still remember the initial feeling

i guess i just share this just to share, and maybe you might try a hybrid rocker of some sort as a potential better fit. i mean there is got to be a reason there are not as many pure continuous and (aggressive) 3 stage rockers as there used to be.

Last edited by wakerider111; 02-10-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-11-2012, 2:54 PM Reply   
Transcend. Nobody has ever ridden mine who didn't like it.
Old     (SS_Hooke102)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-11-2012, 5:01 PM Reply   
stay away from the '10 model ronix if you ride past wake to wake or take hard falls... they are notorious for breaking...
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-11-2012, 6:55 PM Reply   
For now, I don't have a choice. My 2010 Recoil broke and I got it replaced with a 2012 Recoil.
Old     (rmotoxxx711)      Join Date: Oct 2008       02-11-2012, 8:30 PM Reply   
I personally like to ride as many tricks as i can big and into the flats (knees dont support this idea), and i ride the 2012 Hyperlite B Side. I used to ride the 2011 Marek cuz i feel i need a really fast board, then i got on a Bside didnt lose and speed that i could notice, better pop and amazing swing weight. Hands down best boat board ive ever ridden.

I also ride my Hyperlite Union behind the boat too from time to time for those that are into a slingshot flex pattern and is a lot of fun wake to wake but as Hebrew Hammer said, lands super hard anything past wake to wake
Old     (madttownrider)      Join Date: Apr 2011       02-13-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
D.F.T.R. Josh (downfortheride). if you could get a demo for me that would be sweet. I have been looking at the slingshot recoil, I have never ridden one so I'm a little hesitant to buy one. their bindings are sick tho
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-13-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
If you rode the Mana and liked it, why not get a mana? There is a new shape available, but you could probably find the older shape really cheap.

I can't tell you how many times I am asked, "I tried the ____ and really liked it. What board should I get?" I always say, If you tried ___ and liked it, why not get that one.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-13-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
shane
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-13-2012, 11:03 AM Reply   
I'm with Baitkiller - TRANSCEND!
Even sold 2 of them to friends right after they rode them, just to go pick up a new one myself!
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-13-2012, 12:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by madttownrider View Post
D.F.T.R. Josh (downfortheride). if you could get a demo for me that would be sweet. I have been looking at the slingshot recoil, I have never ridden one so I'm a little hesitant to buy one. their bindings are sick tho
The Recoil will make you happy if you like a loose, flexy, lively board. It really comes alive under your feet and it offers you a ton of freedom. It's not the kind of board that's going to tell you what to do and force you into a groove. It's not locked in. If you feel comfortable with a freeriding style, you'll love it.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       02-13-2012, 12:28 PM Reply   
Casey ~ PM me your address!
Old     (Ski_Antique)      Join Date: May 2013       06-29-2013, 10:36 PM Reply   
Wakerider111, try the 2013 parks modello behind the boat. I found it has insane pop and is really controllable, but YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
hebrew hammer,

i almost feel like i have a similar story as you... except that i feel the recoil and other ss boards all land super soft

*been a 3 stage guy (riding byerlys pro models) until slingshot appeared along with a couple years on the recoil.
*soft landings of the recoil inspired me to ride a little more aggressive.
*got a response so i could up the speed and boost farther into the flats
* landing always in the flats, though fun started making me miss the wake to wake landings.
* lengthened the rope so i could still charge but land wake to wake
*!!!* now i am thinking i might be a hybrid rocker kind of guy, but have yet to buy a board in that category and make the switch.

maybe it is just me, but i remember when i first got and rode my SS response it felt like i needed to wait a little longer before cutting in toward the wake. because of the faster speed i had to wait longer for the slack to be taken up. either my riding changed and i adapted, or i just got used to it... i wasn't noticing it as much, but i still remember the initial feeling

i guess i just share this just to share, and maybe you might try a hybrid rocker of some sort as a potential better fit. i mean there is got to be a reason there are not as many pure continuous and (aggressive) 3 stage rockers as there used to be.
Old     (MrShelley)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-30-2013, 12:54 AM Reply   
Slingshot Hooke
Old     (Kevinbieber)      Join Date: May 2013       06-30-2013, 7:32 AM Reply   
The Shane hybrid is really nice and is a little bit slower with good pop and there's one in the classifieds I think
Or the ronix one time bomb is awesome too
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-30-2013, 9:33 AM Reply   
Its interesting that with the new wakeworld we can add to threads that used to be "archived" and locked. Some threads it is really nice, and other times, like in the boating forum with the mastercraft vs MB thread we get the uhhhh feeling and then the jokes, "holly thread revival batman", and then... sometimes WWII.
hehehe
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-06-2013, 1:59 PM Reply   
Is, NO 3 Stage Rocker,,,And I have a P.H.D. In Rocker~ Science