Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (christine_c)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-30-2008, 1:44 PM Reply   
Hi Everyone, I'm new to your discussion board.
I was wondering if there were any other "Surfer Mama's" out there in the NH area. Last summer I saw some kids goofing around with a wakesurf board on Sunapee Lake and just had to try it out.
I'm 48 and having a blast! My husband bought me a Bongo Board to practice with while I've been waiting for the ice to melt on the lake, I've been able to do 180's on the Bongo Board.. Can't wait to try it on the water. I'm trying to get other older woman to try out this Low inpact sport... ummm ok, notice I said Low inpact ..not NO inpact ! haha.. Boards hurt when they clip you under the chin!.. Is there anyone else around the NH area? C~
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-30-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
Hi Christine, I don't live in NH but I love to wakesurf. I have been riding in 48-50 degree water here in Idaho. Can't wait for it to warm up. The air temp. is 50 degrees and very windy today. Monday it was 80.
I wakeboarded for several years but due to shoulder injuries I switched to surfing. I am working on my 360's but it's a little intimidating in the cold water. I fell last weekend and the cold water took my breath away even with a drysuit and a hood.
Old     (christine_c)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-01-2008, 9:12 AM Reply   
Hi Sue! The last time I was surfing was Oct 21, 07.. The air was around 63 and the water had to be in the 50's. No wet/dry suit. Just using underarmor. Brrrrr! It did take my breath away also. I tested the water the other day by just putting my feet in it (ok the ice had just come off the day before)..Nope! Not yet! I'm hoping to get in by mid May! Have you tried starting off the back of the swim platform? It works.. Not sure if its legal... but I've done that. started there and ended the run by landing on the swim plateform... only got from my hips to my toes wet!
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-03-2008, 7:53 AM Reply   
Christine, I have been in 34 degree water with my dry suit and been fine. But I didn't do anything to make myself fall hard. It's the sudden falls when I am trying a trick, that take my breath away. I haven't tried the swim platform start but my nephew does it behind my boat. I plan to ride again here soon. Hope your ice melts.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-03-2008, 4:48 PM Reply   
34 degree water? geeez! My hat is definately off to you ladies. I guess we are just tooo spoiled out here on the west coast with our 68 degree water. Go girl! your definately rock!
Old     (christine_c)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-05-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
Hey,
It was raining all weekend here in NH..but I did check out the water with my foot. Still NO WAY am I going in! This is killing me! I'm hoping to get going within the next week or so. Just need some sun on my back vs 50 degree air and rain. Sue, what type of board do you ride?
Hey, thanks Leonard... What can I say? :-)
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-06-2008, 7:41 AM Reply   
Christine, I ride a Phase Five Prop. It's a fun board. Way faster than my Landlock. What board do you ride?
We hit 80 degrees yesterday but I had to work. I am planning on riding this weekend but it's suppose to cool down to 68.
Old     (christine_c)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-06-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
Hey Sue, I started with a Hyperlite, but I am looking into getting (maybe today) the Inland Surfer Blue lake or the Red tide. I'm not sure yet which one.. 80 degrees's.. Thats it! I'm moving! LOL.. today here we are looking at 74 Maybe. We had very strong winds the other day and yesterday I went to our lake house only to find all of the dock furniture in the water! we have a deep water dock so everything was 10-15feet down. I had to use our ocean fishing equipment to fish the furniture out, why? Because there is NO WAY I am diving down into that ice water yet! Holycrap! was that cold just getting my arms into the water! Come on Warmer weather!!
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-06-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
Christine, I like the Phase Five because it's a skim board. It's fast and maneuverable at 4'6". My Landlock is one of the original ones, it's 5'6". I can spin the Phase Five but I am still working on keeping up with the boat once I get around. I can't imagine spinning my Landlock.
Yea the weather here is finally warming up. I am so ready for summer.
Old     (christine_c)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-08-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
Sue, I started with the Hyperlite skim board, but we had a hard time getting everyone in the boat to sit on one side, too preoccupied with talking to each other!.. It made it very hard to find the sweet spot. (Moomba W/ tower) I'm hoping for a faster board so I can keep up with the boat, even while they are having a party on the boat! Its tough when your on the water saying " Hey, remember me out here!!" LOL someone told me that water yesterday was 46... So, I've taken up drinking on the dock, waiting for the water to warm up! HummmHummmm Hum
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-08-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
Christine, I make everybody sit on one side when I surf. My husband the boat driver even drives from the passenger side when we are the only ones out there. It really helps make the wave sweet.
Are you talking about the Hyperlite Coex skim board? I haven't ridden it but my Phase Five is a lot more fun than my longer boards. On my 5'6" and 6' board you can just stand there and stay in the wake. On the Prop I put a lot more weight on my front foot. It's almost like you have to know ahead of time when you are starting to loose the sweet spot so you have time to react before it's too late.
As for the water being so cold, it sounds like you need a drysuit. They really work well for the cold temps. Here's a pic of me surfing 34 degree water on Jan. 2nd.
Upload
Old     (christine_c)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-09-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
Just a two words for you!
DieHard Surfer
I have no water thats not frozen around that time of year! Drinks raised High for Sue!
I'm thinking I have another 2 weeks to go before I can get into the water. ;-( The picture is of me just after I slipped of the back off the swim platform.
Upload
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-09-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
Nice Christine! Yea I am a diehard surfer. The only problem with that is finding a diehard crew. It's even hard to find people to just come sit in the boat when it's really cold. It's slowly warming up here. The wind has really been blowing, so I hope it calms down for the weekend.
If you want to ride before 2 weeks just catch a plane to Idaho and will take you out.
Old     (christine_c)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-11-2008, 4:24 AM Reply   
Ahhh Sue, Your the best! LOL... While I'm waiting for the water to warm up some, I've been trying to get other "older" woman interested in this sport. There are alot of woman out there that who used to ski or wakeboard who just dont want to hit the water which feels like cement! yah know?! So, I've been talking with them, trying to get them interested. Like I said, I believe I'm the only "Older" female doing this on our lake. Gosh!! and just try to find girlie boarding shorts that are NOT in a size ZERO. LOL.. I'm off to the lake, praying for warm sunshine!
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-11-2008, 10:57 AM Reply   
Christine, I know what you mean. It's a great sport for older women who like the water. It's so much fun and the falls are nothing like catching the toeside edge of your wakeboard. I have a hard time convincing friends that it is easy and a blast to wakesurf. I have the same problem with the board shorts. All the girls ones are for teens not women who wakesurf.
We have not been to the lake due to high winds the last 2 days. I went to check it out yesterday and it was white capping so hard the sail boats were having a hard time. I wish I could turn off this wind! I guess I 'll just have to take a day off this week to go riding.
Old     (christine_c)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-16-2008, 12:45 PM Reply   
Hi Sue,
I had to order my shorts from Maui,HI. LOL The native ladies there are more my size and they surf! Soo... Thats where I found mine, but they are short. I really wanted a little longer-legged pair of shorts. LOL I don't need to broadcast my booty! LOL....At 48, I'm all set with that! Got the boat docked at the lake house 2 days ago. My bro brought his wakeboard out, got up to his ankles in the water on the back of the boat and decided to have another beer instead! Still WAY too cold!
Old     (malibu)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-16-2008, 1:52 PM Reply   
Christine, Sounds like you guys need some wetsuits. We are heading out to the lake today! Yea!!!! The air temp. is 87 but I don't know what the water temp. will be until I get the boat in. I am so excited because it is hot and finally not windy.
My husband is out in the driveway putting some stainless steel downpipes on our boat exhaust. We thought they might help keep the air a little fresher for the surfer.
The lake is about 15 minutes away from my house. I would love to live on the water someday.