Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (darinmg)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-02-2006, 7:32 PM Reply   
I am very curious how other boat crews operate. Lots of the time there is one guy who is fortunate enough to be able to afford a boat, and he takes out his family and friends. The boat owner has everything he /she needs for the family. My question is, should he also be the one to provide all the gear for the friends to ride. Jackets, gloves, rope, wakeboards, bindings. In the past, I have had almost everything we need, and I provide the boat, and the gas, and the cleanup(besides the basic wipe down). This was not to bad when the boat cost 7K, gas tank was 16 gallons for a full day, and we were learning. Now the boat cost 30K, the gas tank is 40 gallons for a full day, and my gear is getting abused from everyones use.

I'm sure there will be some very different views on this, but it has been in the back of my mind for awhile now.
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-02-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
Thats cool that you provide the gloves those are an essential peice of equipment to have.

Your friends are a bunch of moochers, tell them to buy some equipment for the crew as well as pitch in for gas. Just lay it out to them.
Old     (morty)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-02-2006, 8:01 PM Reply   
Yeah it's good you got the gloves, but your buddies need to pitch in for gas and treat your equipment with respect. Usually unless you put down money for gas you won't get a pull on my boat. You also have to pay when something on the boat breaks so let them know whats up, it's your boat so it's your rules.
Old     (alliecat0223)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-02-2006, 8:04 PM Reply   
Im one of those people who does not have a boat. I always bring my own gear(board and vest). I offer if they want to use my rope. I give gas money and always help with the wipe down. Plus I always take my cam with me and offer to take pics of everyone. Even if we are playing in the water. An e-mail asap or I get them on my pc. I always feel rude asking for rides and not knowing how much gas money to give.
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-02-2006, 8:18 PM Reply   
We will take anyone who wants to go. We expect our gear to be treated with respect and all hands will help wipe down and clean out when we are done. We will usually refuse the gas money when offered and we remember those that dont offer. It all about the fun and advancing the sport.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-02-2006, 8:23 PM Reply   
As far as the gear goes, most riders with a serious jonesin' for a pull have their own stuff.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-02-2006, 8:52 PM Reply   
My board is my board. I have other that you can use, but frankly they are dated things I have in the garage from past seasons.

And if they don't have money for gas they get left on the levee
Old     (deltarat650)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-02-2006, 8:53 PM Reply   
My crew prorates everything. Gas (boat & truck), docking fee, & even toll. We just add it up at the end of the day and split. My crew even kicks down on the yearly service. Its only the right thing to do. I bring the same people out every time. I dont ask they just hook it up. I pay the boat payment, insurance, and storage. I'm fine with that. We go out too much, and this sport is too expensive for one person to pay for everything. As far as clean up... right when the boat is taken out of the water we start cleaning. everybody must help, even the chicks who dont ride. Thats how its done SON!!!
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-02-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
I provide everything but gas and beer. My friends respect the boat and our stuff so its not an issue. I still like going with my parents best cause I don't have to pay for gas hahahaha...I am pathetic!
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       11-02-2006, 9:07 PM Reply   
My crew always brings there own gear,helps drive, helps clean and always bring gas money. Its not uncommon for me to receive over a 100 dollars in gas money for one weekend.
Old     (erik)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-03-2006, 5:09 AM Reply   
I need to find a crew like all of yours. Every once in a while I'll get offered gas money, but for the most part I pay everything. But I can't ride and drive at the same time.
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-03-2006, 5:13 AM Reply   
Three of us have boats and we seem to rotate boats depending on conditions and crowd factor at each lake. Everyone has their own gear but we ride each others stuff all the time. I believe I have the best crew of all time!!!! We are all consious of gas prices and other expences and everyone chips in to cover whatever we need. Moochers kill the good vibe over time and end up on shore but I can't say we have that problem at all...
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-03-2006, 5:57 AM Reply   
In my "crew" everyone has their own gear, and we alternate boats with those that have them. Those that dont show up with $$ or gas in 5 gal cans. I like the cans better than money, because it keeps the tank full for more weight in the boat. Now for friends that are not in the crew but go out on the boat with us, I have extra gear for them that is older and everyone know that my board is off-limits for use.
Old     (gangster_wake)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-03-2006, 6:14 AM Reply   
Once you become a boat owner you better expect everyone to use your gear. Jeff does what i do, have your board and have the everyone elses board and bindings. If someone wants to ride my board. i take off my boots because usually the newbies rip the hell out of them getting them on, even though we have a gallon of slime juice. As for gas, 10$ a rider and if they dont pay. they are boat weight. pulling the boat to the lake is 30 miles and filling up a 40 gallon tank. i have a solid crew of 4 riders and they know the deal. Its worked for the past 5 years. usually at the beginning of the season someone always picks up a new rope for me. other than that i have just let my gear accumulate from year to year.. this seems to work for me..
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       11-03-2006, 6:17 AM Reply   
Sounds like you are being taken advantage of, Darin. If you want to ride behind my boat, I expect you to at least offer to throw in for gas money, help clean, and bring whatever you want on board to eat/drink. I don't really mind lending out some gear but generally I expect a serious rider to have his own board and vest. I throw in some extra USCGA PFDs in case someone brings an outlaw vest.

It's a privilege to be invited on soemone else's boat and you should act that way when you are. I have been stiffed for gas money, had people show up late, or with additional uninvited riders, and even had a guy call me and cancel while I was dragging the boat to the water at 7am. I remember that BS, and for the most part, none of those folks have been invited back out with me.

Sure, there are extenuating circumstances, and I can make allowances for friends, etc. But there is also common courtesy, consideration, respect tht needs to be shown by a guest rider. Everyone knows it takes gear, gas and upkeep. It's not that hard to figure out.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-03-2006, 6:24 AM Reply   
Just be honest. If they are true friends they will understand and pitch in. If not they won't come back, and who needs a Mooch. You have a lot of time and money in everything. Remember nice guys finish last.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       11-03-2006, 6:28 AM Reply   
well im fortunate to live in an area where a lot of people own boats and wakeboarding is blowing up around here.

That being said theirs a lot of us here who have set the standards or guidelines for riding each others boats OR for the riders who dont own boats to come out and be that crew for a day..We dont have a regular crew all the time but often see a lot of the same people over a months worth of ridng..

This is what we require as a boat owner to the riders

1.they show up on time

2.they bring gas money,the amount depends on gas prices at the time,how long a drive to the lake/river,and obviously how long and how many sets you take.Usually around here its about 6bucks a set but when gas was expensive at its peak a few months back we would give 8/10 bucks a set.

3.Yes they must bring their own gear,wakeboard setup and vest, if the ride regularly.Now if they are brand new and want to try the sport for the first time and someone on the boat either agrees to lend their gear to them or occasionally there are boat owners with older gear they have on the boat for such an occasion they will let them use that.

we do supply the rope but other then that have your own gear.

4.they help clean up afterward

Thers always exceptions but if you arent contributing then you usually arent getting invited back out .

Im sure if your crew has a problem helping you out after you bring it up to them in a contructive way then you can find new riders ..

I would....
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       11-03-2006, 8:14 AM Reply   
Get a new crew.
Old     (dizzyg)      Join Date: May 2005       11-03-2006, 8:16 AM Reply   
I used to provide everything when we were younger and things got abused and I got annoyed. I have an older guest board/bindings that I'll let people use. My good board/bindings/jackets are mine, sorry.

I do have spare life jackets, but they're jusdt cheap ones. The rope, I have no issues sharing. I prefer that people provide gas or cash and help with putting away and clean up, if you don't help out with stuff and are a cheapo, you just don't get asked out as often.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-03-2006, 8:32 AM Reply   
Here it is to many people beat around the bush. If you expect something from someone you have to tell them. People dont have the respect they use to. Any way my crew brings their own gear. If I have people who are riding my gear I just ask them to chip in a little more. I always make sure they chip in for fuel if not then I get rid of them. Some people just really don't understand how expensive it is to ride. Break it down for them and make them chip in or go home.
Old     (bstroop)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Athens, Alabama       11-03-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
I sold my boat last year and am a moocher for now. I have my own gear but still feel it's necessary to buys some gloves "for the boat" or pick up a new rope/handle "for the boat" at the beginning of the season. Gas and cleanup is a no brainer, everyone must help.
Old    K.B.C.            11-03-2006, 8:55 AM Reply   
yeah, sounds like you've got a bunk crew
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-03-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
I provide pretty much everything and I don't have a problem with that. I've taken plenty of cans of gas as payment so long as the gas was purchased no more than a month ago or has been stabilized but I don't expect it. I have gear I'll let people use and typcially, I don't have a problem with anyone using my gear but I'll say something if I think they're abusing it. I've only had to do that once. I do expect help on cleanup after we get back in and I expect them to be on time and only cancel with 24 hour notice. I'm not going to get so wrapped up in the financial aspects that it lessens my enjoyment out on the water.

Oh and I do have folks chipping in smaller items on occasion. One guy bought me a first aid kit and another bought a new fire extinguisher. Small stuff like that. It is appreciated.

(Message edited by hal2814 on November 03, 2006)
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       11-03-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
I'm with Dante on this. Most of my crew has their own gear. But a few of the newer riders don't. I have extra on hand -- boards, bindings, vests -- for them to use. The only thing I don't let people use are my bindings; they fit perfectly and I don't want them stretched out. As people get more into it, they of course buy their own gear. I've even bought gear for some members of my crew (neo top, comp vest) to help them out. Whenever someone starts riding with me, they offer to pay gas and I turn them down. They always help out cleaning the boat, fixing stuff, doing whatever. I'm happy to treat my crew well -- like guests. 'Cuz the thing about wakeboarding is that you gotta have three to ride. If I can't get a crew together, I don't ride myself. Getting a reliable crew together is work, and I need them as much as they need me. I don't forget that!

(Message edited by eaglejackson on November 03, 2006)
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-03-2006, 10:47 AM Reply   
Darin, I had the same question in my head this entire season. On my boat not everyone paid for gas. Those who didn't chip in, found out quickly this season they weren't invited to the next trip and so on. About the gear, I hear you on that as well. My bindings were getting treated like a whore for 2 entire seasons. Finally, I asked the people who enjoyed the sport and wanted to be regulars on my boat, to buy their own wakeboard/bindings/vest. Those poeple that bought there own gear are the only ones invited nowadays. My crew of 10, just turned to a crew of 4. They found real fast out how expensive gear is and decided to pass. The bottom line, just ask them flat out to get their own gear or chip in for gas. You'll know whos serious real quick.
Old     (wake4chicks)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-03-2006, 11:51 AM Reply   
thats not right man, your buddies should pitch in their time and money also. my buddy has a $45k boat. i pitch in gas money and help him clean it. even when we take my boat my buddies pitch in gas money. i guess we usually use the best rope and everyone has their own board n so. like waylon said ask them front up. u payed for the boat for them to use, they can at least pitch in for u letting them ride on it.
Old    redneckonaboard06            11-03-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
Man I'd have given a kidney for a member of my old crew to just offer to help wipe the boat down, or at least get everything out of it for the night. They even crashed at my place at the lake all weekend with us. Guess that's why my crew of 5-6 is now just two. My g/f and I.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       11-03-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
Darin your crew sucks but, I remember when I was a kid and we would go out on my uncles boat. My parents always used to tell me to give him some money. I always did but didnt really know how expensive a boat was untill I bought one. Alot of people just dont think about what it costs because they are too ocupied with enjoying it.

I think the key is to take them with you when you fill up and let them see the gas pump hit $$$$$.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-03-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
sell the gloves, and then use the money to buy gas.
Old     (santa)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-03-2006, 4:18 PM Reply   
What really pisses me off is that some of our guest seem to not only expect that we provide all the riding gear, but on top of that they actually ask if they can borrow our wetsuits. Like, WTF, get your own.

I like to think that some people are uncomfortable offering gas money because they're afraid we might get offended. They assume that if we have the boat, gear and lakeside house, that we have more money than Warren Buffet and would not perceive well an offer for 15$ of gas. Yes it takes a lot of dough to get these things, but in our case it<s also been a case of choices and priorities in life.

But hey, at least show that you have some class and show some respect. Bring along snacks, drinks, gifts, offer some gas money (we will refuse) or whatever, but at least show that you have some gratitude for the priviledge of getting a ride on a Saturday...

If everyone did like Allie, it would be such a pleasure!
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       11-04-2006, 3:44 AM Reply   
Sometimes I feel that if I didn't stock the boat my crew would dehydrate, starve, sunburn and run out of gas all at once. People, if you know you are going to be in the sun all day: think ahead! Do you think you are gonna get thirsty, hungry or hot?!? My boat is not your Qwikki-Mart.
Old     (closer)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-04-2006, 4:15 AM Reply   
I have only recently in the last couple of months started boarding. I started with my brother and bought a jet ski to learn the ropes. As soon as we started a couple of mates wanted to try. My brother ( very generously) bought me a new liquid force board for my birthday which we both use as we are exactly the same size etc. My friends also used this board. I have recently bought a boat with tower etc and now my friends come out all the time. Only my brother ever offers up gas money and often says he will pay it all. He has offered to pay half my marina birth and costs however my other riding buddies have never even offered a cent. My brother would never take the piss and take! take! take! but my friends seem to think it is OK. I think they reckon I will be out on the water anyway so they might as well be there as well. As someone mentioned before they also think I have enough money and probably do not need the cash. That to a certain extent is true but not the point. My brother earns as much as they do and always chips in but then again he is my bro and would hate to think I felt he was taking the piss out of my genorosity.I have decided I am going to put a gas tin on the boat as people arrive and see if they get the hint. If not I will drive the boat to the gas station in the marina and sit there until someone decides to put some gas in.
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-04-2006, 5:35 AM Reply   
Wish I had a crew with a few adults...seems the only ones who go out with us are our son's friends (15-19 years old). No money, no vest, one has his own board/bindings (only because we sold it to him at dealer cost!). They ALL help with cleanup, we have made it clear that we expect at least that, but no gas money, and bring food/drinks/sunscreen, HA! Oh well, maybe when they grow up a bit and have jobs they will realize how much $$ it really costs. But for now, at least they carry the gear like mountain goats up the hill from the dock, wipe down the boat, and say "Thanks" and really mean it! Oh, then they want to know what's for dinner...
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-04-2006, 5:38 AM Reply   
^^^ps: I wouldn't trade these kids or the good times for anything! We have them out on the boat, having a great time, and their parents are missing it! And yes, we have invited the parents, but they just always have something "more important" to do...they just don't get it. Sad.
Old     (redracer2003)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-04-2006, 6:14 AM Reply   
thanks for the info. everybody! I'm looking to buy a boat next spring and not sure how to handle the whole thing (gas,rope,board,yada yada).
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       11-04-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
Lauri H.

I know those parents as well (and those kids). When these friends at school write about their favorite place, they write about our lake house.

Others have drawn pictures of their favorite spot - our lake house. Our lake house is a doublewide at the back of a trailer park (insane developing - I know).

Sad is about right.

SD2
Old     (balr54)      Join Date: May 2004       11-04-2006, 6:02 PM Reply   
Wow, I didn't realize how selfish people are. Granted, I don't have my own boat yet, (give me a year until I get that paper,) but I have my own equipment, bought my own wetsuit/vest ect. However, I have no problem letting somebody use my stuff if they want to give wakeboarding a shot. If you don't, that just goes against the progression of the sport. Some people just don't understand the rules of the boat, you may have to tell them, if then they don't like it well tough. But as far as everybody who said they are not going to let somebody use their equipment, or not let somebody use my wet suit in the spring cause I bought it and it is mine, that is stupid and pretty much a reason why somebody may not go back to wakeboarding. I am not saying anything about the people who try to ride and then bounce out as soon as they hit the dock. But there is also the other extreme where you are going against the whole idea of the sport. To be out on the lake and have a great time! It is an expensive sport and people do need to pitch in, but then again there is that other extreme where people are like hey, look at my 50K boat, but no, you can't ride with me cause you are broke. I just think that is wrong too.
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-04-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
Jeff,
They don't know what they're missing, do they?
It's good being the parents to hang out with...keeps us young (and broke)!
Lauri
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-05-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
If you had a lake house would you make them pay a portion of the utilites? If they offer to help out with expenses then accept. Otherwise half the pleasure of owning a boat is sharing it with those you love. If paying for gas chaps you that bad or makes it "unaffordable" to go then maybe this hobby is too expensive for you.

In their eyes if you earn enough to afford a boat that cost more than most cars then $100 for gas is no big deal. Chump change for a playa like you!