Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    cheesesteak            03-21-2014, 7:59 AM Reply   
So . . . I'm looking to get my boat ready for what I think might be a boating season. I say that because nor cal lakes are lowwwwww.

Anyway - called Superior Boar Repair (great local shop) and they say $335 for oil/filter and impeller change. Another $100 (since they're doing oil) for trans/vdrive oil change.

For $645 - they do all of that, check batteries, check cap, rotor, plugs and replace fuel filter. I think the $645 package is a stretch - but now does the $445 sound for impeller and fluids change?

I've got a 2006 Sanger V230 - only got around 95 hours on it. The impeller is tough to change on these - need to take water/fuel separator assembly off to get to the pump.

What are our thoughts on the price? Going rates???

Thanks
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2014, 8:20 AM Reply   
That's expensive.
I just did mine yesterday. Took about 40mins start to finish. And I started the oil auction at the same time (with cold oil) and let it pump while I did the impeller.
By the time my impeller was finished up, the oil was all out. The fuel filter is very simple. There's a spin on filter on the fuel pump. 30 second job.
And if you want to do the in line fuel filter, it is on the floor, below the water lines on the impeller.
(Right side bottom of the bilge if in the rear seat looking towards transom)
The entire service, including the $90 oil suction pump is bought cost under $200.
Do it yourself. Will take you an hour and a half.
After oil and impeller are done, suck out the transmission through the dipstick and refill.
With only 95hrs, probably wouldn't worry about vdrive fluid
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-21-2014, 9:56 AM Reply   
That price is inflated because there are so many lame brains out ere that will pay it. Do it yourself.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2014, 9:57 AM Reply   
I have a v215 with the black scorpion btw. So yours I'm assuming, should be very similar if not identical.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-21-2014, 10:34 AM Reply   
My old 03 Supreme V220SP was 350.00 anually for all you mentioned above plus the parts cost of the impeller as it wasn't an every year thing. This also included winterization. The hard tanks made it a pain to access so I paid for the service. Other than the 20hr service on my new V226 as it has to be done by an approved dealer to maintain the warrenty I will be doing regualr oil changes, winterization, etc myself now for much less. 600+ sounds spendy for a couple hours of work and fluids costs.
Old    cheesesteak            03-21-2014, 10:40 AM Reply   
Yeah - I wasn't going to spend the $600 plus. Just debating purchasing the pump and dealing with oil disposal. The impeller, plugs, wires, cap, etc aren't a big deal.

Thx.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2014, 10:42 AM Reply   
I'll give you some links to the parts and pump and what not. The best prices I found, I just shopped it all the past couple weeks.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2014, 10:47 AM Reply   
http://bit.ly/1imnF6K - impeller

Sierra International 18-7721 Marine Fuel Filter for Mercruiser Stern Drive by Sierra International http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N9I22G/...d_7Ohltb079S1R - inline fuel filter

Wix 33225 Spin-On Fuel Separator Filter, Pack of 1 by Wix http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CSIOB2/..._UPhltb0KFEFN3 - fuel/ water separator spin on filter

Wix 51069 Spin-On Oil Filter, Pack of 1 by Wix http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C9UL80/..._uQhltb1EDNR8X - oil filter

Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus by Mityvac http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SR7TC/..._TQhltb1MDVJFQ - oil suction pump. This thing is badass btw. Pumped all of my oil out cold, 50* outside. No problem

My choice of oil was 15-40 royal purple. And the price was not bad at all. $40 for a case of 6
Royal Purple (06154-6PK) API-Licensed SAE 15W-40 High Performance Synthetic Motor Oil - 1 Quart Bottle, (Case of 6) by Royal Purple http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ELHTA68/..._ERhltb1ZT2WJD

These were all the best prices I could find, and they just so happened to throw me a bone and be Prime as well.
Old    cheesesteak            03-21-2014, 10:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the links and info J.mo.
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       03-21-2014, 10:57 AM Reply   
I just had the 20hr. service done on mine and that included everything you mentioned except the impeller and my local shop hit me for 325.00. I felt that was a fair price. That includes them washing my boat as well.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2014, 11:50 AM Reply   
If possible, can everyone state their region/state when giving quoted maint/labor rates?

I've talked about this on a truck forum I'm on, regarding labor/repair/body rates.

And it typically seems, that places such as GA, TN, AL, etc have MUCH lower costs, than say somewhere that I am, Nor cal (Sacramento area)
It usually seems that prices are VERY far off, most often times less than half in places like I have listed.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-21-2014, 12:02 PM Reply   
I did my impeller last year. Pretty much followed this video to the T and had no issues what so ever. Save your coin for gas. GL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWzqRE96Zts
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       03-21-2014, 12:36 PM Reply   
Im in Western WA, about 40 minutes southeast of Seattle. My shops rate is 90.00hr
Old    cheesesteak            03-21-2014, 12:39 PM Reply   
I'm in the Sacramento region as well.
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2014, 1:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I'm in the Sacramento region as well.

If you are in the sac area, swing by crawdads/discovery park this weekend. We will be out all weekend and I'll let you use my pump and we'll do your oil.
Grab an impeller and I'll show you how to do that also
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2014, 1:06 PM Reply   
Shop rate for pump rental is only a 12pk.
Gotta get my money back, that thing was expensive! Lmao
Old    cheesesteak            03-21-2014, 1:59 PM Reply   
Jmo - I appreciate the offer. My son's got 4 (count 'em FOUR) lacrosse games this weekend and my daughter has soccer. No boat time this weekend (which is why I think I'm going to drop it for service).
Old     (Jmorlan)      Join Date: May 2013       03-21-2014, 2:51 PM Reply   
Thought I'd throw the option.
I get down there quite a bit.
And I'm telling you, you're going to chuckle and thank yourself you saved the cash once you are done.

What color is your v230?
I wonder if I was talking to you last summer when I bought my 215. Asking about why this damn v drive oil light comes on when in neutral.
Old     (Griggs24)      Join Date: Oct 2013       03-21-2014, 3:51 PM Reply   
I'm in east Texas and not sure what the labor rate is. That was just what they quoted me.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-23-2014, 6:57 PM Reply   
I pay a mechanic to do all my maintenance, in his driveway.... He used to be the head guy where I bought my boat. For all fluids & winterize last Fall, I was like $250, his fluids/antifreeze. Assume impeller would have been $50, with me buying the part.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-23-2014, 11:07 PM Reply   
I don't think that sounds too far off. Labor is usually $90-$100/hr and I'm sure it would take someone 3 hours to check/change all that stuff so that's $300 in labor alone.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       03-24-2014, 11:37 AM Reply   
Oil disposal? Take it from your pump, put it in milk jugs and place it out with your recycling. Simple. As far as the oil pump, you could buy a cheap harbor freight pump and just make sure you have a container (best to use those milk jugs) to pump it into. It may not be as fancy as a bigger, self contained oil pump setup, but it will work and is quick, cheap, and above all very easy.
Old     (LeCo)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-25-2014, 5:11 AM Reply   
Hey I have a (new to me) 2002 Wakesetter VLX (365 Hammerhead) and am struggling to change the oil. I've tried the drill extractor and let also let it drip for days and I still feel like I'm missing a quart or 2. I'm thinking about getting the Mityvac 7201 Fluid Evacuator Plus. Has anyone had any personal experience with using it on this motor even know it really shouldn't matter? Also does it include a threaded adapter that I can attach to my oil drain hose?