Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (gandr_nautique)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-30-2006, 4:31 AM Reply   
I have been boarding for six months now but keep hurting my ankle. I bought myself a pair of spyhnx liquid force bindings and an omega board so there should be no excuse as these are good bindings and board. The problem is when I catch a bad edge and I plant myself. My foot gets pulled half way out of the bindings and gets stretched along the top of my foot. It hurts real bad and takes about two week before I can get back in the water. It only happens on my left foot. Has anyone heard of this type of injury before or has anyone got any idea what might be causing it. Would it be possible that my bindings are too tight?
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as it puts me out of the water.
Rob
Old    krasher31            05-30-2006, 4:39 AM Reply   
They may be good bindings but just not a good fit for you. You could try riding something else.

When i first started riding i would land reaaly hard on my toes and jam my ankle where you are stretching it, all the bones would crush each other and would put me out of commision for a couple weeks. As i became more experianced it stopped happening and i have not done that in 3 yrs.+

Now i just tear my acl's
Old     (gregair)      Join Date: May 2006       05-30-2006, 6:05 AM Reply   
Yeah once you do keep your foot in you will join the club of screwing up your knee!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-30-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
yea that happened all the time whne i was a beginner and i was tightening the bindings up to a point where they are supposed to hold down no matter what.

However

Bad falls would try and pull your foot out but the laces would stop them at the ankle and pull hard..

id say until you get a little better and dont fall as much or as hard loosen the top laces near the ankle just a bit more then usual so you will come out but do it on both feet...this should help and it will not hinder the perfomance or the regualr hold of the binding...

good luck
Old     (steve2u)      Join Date: May 2006       05-30-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
Makes me a little nervous about going with the Zeus bindings - they have a lot of heel hold on me. I'm not sure I would come out of them no matter how hard I fall. I better try them on again - I need my knees.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       05-30-2006, 4:00 PM Reply   
I have a similar problem. What is the stiffest binding to protect your ankles? I ride the 06 Transits now and thought they would be good. I actually just screwed up my ankle in them two weeks ago.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-30-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
Get the 3DS bindings, any year. Or get the Highback bindings, if you go back that far.
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       05-30-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
I had the same problem with HL Highbacks, constant ankle injuries. The problem is that they don't hold your heel down and your foot gets ripped out sideways. I rode LF Teams, talk about stiff and great hold down! Zeus' might be just as good. My ankle got a lot better with those bindings and standing on balance discs everyday. Good luck, I don't think ankles ever get 100% better. I also don't think lack of binding release causes that many knee injuries, it's usually from stackin' the wake or coming up short on a hard lip. Landing with the board pushing up the side of your leg will also tear knees. Bindings rarely release in that case. You pretty much have to come forward catching an edge going down.