Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-10-2009, 10:41 PM Reply   
I need a little input. Who lives in or around the Modesto area? I need to know the good area and "STAY AWAY" areas. Also any info on the smaller towns just outside for example like Riverbank or Oakdale. Just found out as of today I will be transfering to Modesto and not Turlock.
Old     (mcclure_kevo)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-10-2009, 11:09 PM Reply   
its like a ten minute difference and there are a couple places right about an hour away like lake mcclure and don pedro i dont live out there but i have a houseboat on mcclure

(Message edited by mcclure_kevo on February 10, 2009)
Old     (snwmot)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-10-2009, 11:18 PM Reply   
oakdale is a HICKTOWN!!! be warned lol other than that everywhere is pretty good u got the lake on one side and the delta on the other take ur pic and if u need some riding buddies hit me or kevin up we ride toghether all the time and both have boats!
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2009, 11:50 PM Reply   
kevin, where is your houseboat located on Mcclure? My buddy owns a houseboat there and I am usually up there twice a month on the weekends.
Old     (kyle_m)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-10-2009, 11:56 PM Reply   
agreed if u need a riding partner u can hit up either of us me kevin and scott all ride together the delta is probably going to be your best bet this summer if your looking for the amazing water we all come to enjoy
and for anyone that wants to hat on me tellin him that, i feel why not help out a fellow wakeboarder. Anyways welcome to the area Kenny and nice boat btw
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-11-2009, 7:16 AM Reply   
I'm from sacramento but haven't been down there for 3+ years so I am trying to get some input for where to live in that (Modesto) area.

Kyle I know bout the DD, and riding with you, Scott and the other will be cool. Especially since you guys are PIMPING house boats!

How long of a drive with a boat is it to McClure/Pedro/Melones/DD?
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       02-11-2009, 7:58 AM Reply   
Head towards Ripon and stay out of Modesto. Modesto is a pit.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-11-2009, 8:16 AM Reply   
Modesto is fine if you're in a decent area. You can pretty much usually tell just by driving around if it's okay or not. Little towns just outside are also good and sometimes better. Ceres is good and just next to Modesto, as well as Escalon, Riverbank, and you can still consider Turlock as well. Oakdale is cool but it is hickish, if you're alright with that then its cool.

Every town has good and bad parts. EVERY TOWN.

If you have questions on specific areas let me know and I'll try to answer for you. I've lived in Modesto/Ceres for 15 years now and know about every area.
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-12-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
not really going to get the chance to just drive around being that I am still up here in Wa. Just wanted to now where to really avoid, you know I am bringing the fam with so its pretty imp[ortant to me to be in a good area.
Old    stillstandin            02-12-2009, 11:17 AM Reply   
Kenny, I will PM me if you want some info. Im a police officer in that area, I can tell you where to stay away from.
Old    stillstandin            02-12-2009, 11:19 AM Reply   
That should say PM if you want some info. Fingers arent working to good today.
Old     (redv215)      Join Date: Mar 2005       02-12-2009, 11:51 AM Reply   
All I know is stay away from Ceres! Have a friend and I will email him and see if he can help.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-12-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
the whole place

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/4387/669193.html?1234468319
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       02-12-2009, 12:42 PM Reply   
u looking to rent or buy?
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-12-2009, 1:10 PM Reply   
Kenny, since you are headed for Modesto, I have to assume that you will probably not be at Pateros this year.. What are you doing in Modesto?? Recruiting??
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-12-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
Craig,
I will take you up on that offer, and we need to hook up when I get down there! Its always good to have the 5.0 as a friend. (LOL)

Tate,
Please do.

We are looking at the possibility of buying and then when we transfer just renting out. Yes I will be doing another tour of recruiting duty, just not in Sacramento this time. I might make it in time this summer. My window is June-Sept. but I won't know until May... We already have a agent named Grace Miralle. Right now we are only looking at short sale and foreclosed homes. The list has an amazing 120 homes, and thats just Modesto.
Old    stillstandin            02-12-2009, 5:07 PM Reply   
Kenny, just sent you a PM with some general info.
Old     (deltarat)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-12-2009, 7:14 PM Reply   
ripon is the best place in the area. plus they a great skate park.
Old     (h2o4me)      Join Date: May 2002       02-12-2009, 7:24 PM Reply   
Kenny,

Tate told me you were looking for some area advise. First off I think Craig A. would be a great resource for Modesto Do' and Don'ts. With Modesto you need to choose your area, I would suggest you start by looking for homes in the Sylvan Union School District.
I moved away about four years ago to a town called Hughson. It's south east about 5 miles, small farm town, great place to raise kids and good schools. Close to great shopping in Turlock.
Oakdale is also very nice, great schools, more services but far from freeway access. Turlock is bigger, mostly nice with great services and freeway access. All of which are approx. 40 minutes from some great lakes!

IMO...STAY WELL CLEAR OF CERES!

Hope this helps,
Eric
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       02-12-2009, 8:38 PM Reply   
Yes all this info helps!
Our agent said she is trying to keep up in the Sylvan school district, thats good to know.
I we get deeper in the home process I will keep hitting you guys up. Thanks

Craig got your PM and shared it with the wife, thank you and I will be in contact.
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-13-2009, 5:36 AM Reply   
You should also at least take a look at Salida when you're touring. Lots of newer development and your are close to all of the services in Modesto. Salida has an older part that you would probably want to avoid, but check into the neighborhoods that are on the east side of 99. Very close to 99 for getting in and out of town (crossing Modesto can take 20+ minutes), nice Stany river park in walking distance, and mostly good people. We've been here 10 years and love it.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-13-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
I have lived in Ripon for 4 years and love it!. Very small community and tight. Anti-growth and support the locals policy. Housing is expensive compared to the surrounding area, but worth it. Pricing is way down compared to two years ago, but what isn't it.
Old     (ffmedic)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-19-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
Ripon has a sick sk8 park too...i love that park