Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 22, 2007

Old     (a907rider)      Join Date: May 2006       03-20-2007, 2:34 PM Reply   
I had a thread going about the fish and liked what I heard but I still can't stop thinking about the natural. I'm 6' 230lbs intermediate rider. Once again I live in Alaska and cannot demo so I depend on wakeworlds input. Thanks for the help!
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-20-2007, 2:36 PM Reply   
fish for life.
Old     (lil_braswell)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-20-2007, 3:00 PM Reply   
Obrien Natural for life. The fish is nice, but adjusting to that short of a board is weird. The fish is a slower wider board with good pop. The natural will be faster and release really smooth. You might need to work a tad harder to get the same pop on the natural. However, I think the natural's pop is huge though. Since you live in alaska I will also add the natural is really flowing ride and could be compared to snowboarding cause the chevrons make it sit higher in the water. Just my opinion.
Old     (a907rider)      Join Date: May 2006       03-20-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
Yeah the riding like a snowboard thing sounds really nice. Thats why I love the roam. No fins to get between you and that perfect edge on a glass morning.
Old     (seven20)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-20-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
wow...this is a great comparison..go with what's natural
Old     (akdivision)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-20-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
I would go with fish...but thats me.
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-20-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
i would have to say the fish all the way. i have never ridden the natural but i have a friend that has a fish and a natural and he likes the fish more than the natural. he says that it just isnt as fun to ride as the fish.
Old     (a907rider)      Join Date: May 2006       03-20-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
Yeah the Fish is sounding better and better
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-20-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
What type of conditions do you usually ride in?

All my friends who ride the Fish say that it has to be butter or it is not fun at all to ride.

Personally I far prefer butter too but the Natural still handles great in chop.

Although "fun" one friend quit riding his Fish for the most part because he felt it was too loose.

One of the things I love most about the Natural is its ability to lock in solid but also break loose easily. I just did a bs surface 360 on mine yesterday!

Do you expect to share your board much? Beginners always prefer my Natural to my buddy's Fish. (Fish is too loose for them.)

From what I've seen with the Fish and the Natural the Fish is fun and the Natural is fun but the Fish is not really a board that make it easier to progress while the Natural will really help you progress. If you're just looking to go out and have a good time the Fish may be better (although even that I'd argue as the Natural is crazy fun) but if learning new tricks is the goal I'd take a Natural any day.

Good luck deciding. At least you'll never know if the one you don't get was better. ;)
Old     (a907rider)      Join Date: May 2006       03-21-2007, 1:10 AM Reply   
We always get glass in the morning and night but during the day it can get a little crowded and choppy. Its ok though since during the summer its light out all night. We've had sessions run till 2-3 in the morning and rode glass the entire time. Nights like that make the 7am wake up hard, but its still worth it.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-21-2007, 6:40 AM Reply   
Natural, Natural, Natural. There is no comparison. Actually those are very different boards, they ride totaly different
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-21-2007, 6:52 AM Reply   
A friend has the Fish 133 and I have the Natural. I thought I would really like the Fish, but I hate it. And I really like a LOT of different boards. To me, it is really sluggish, not very responsive, and I have to work more to get the pop out of it. I have a harder time rolling it on edge. I just dislike the board. It doesn't suit me very well. The Natural on the other hand has everything I have ever wanted in a board. To me, it is a combination of all the great parts of the great boards I have ridden.

That's just me and my opinion and we all know what that is worth.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-21-2007, 7:22 AM Reply   
I am looking to get the Natural as well, how is the landing on this board? I would like to get one that has a soft landing, getting a little old and need all the help I can get
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-21-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
the fish, shane, and watson are the softest landing boards that i have fond so far. i first rode the fish and had no knee pain what so ever, but bad lands are a little hard to ride out on the fish. the watson was a little loose for me. but the shane is amazing. it is what i ride. it has never broken off edge, and is loose only when i want it to be. the pop is very consistent, w2w or in the flats, it is wider than normal boards and shorter that normal boards so you still get the fish charateristics and a board that you can progress on. since i got the shane i have learned 4 new inverts and 5 new spins. it is awesome
Old     (closedtoe)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-21-2007, 8:17 AM Reply   
The shane is shorter and wider, but not as much as the fish. On the shane you should only ride it 2-3cm shorter because it's only about .5inch wider than most boards its size.
Old     (gimp990)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-21-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
yea it is not much shorter and wider but i could fell a difference. just that little bit helped me with a lot a grabs to. i have short arms and i just couldnt reach that little bit extra and make the grabs but now i can. that is just my experence from it.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-21-2007, 10:08 AM Reply   
The Natural has very soft landings. It has the "double concave hull" or center spine that makes it cushy on your knees. I have bad knees but with the Natural I almost always take it big and into the flats without any pain.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-21-2007, 11:46 AM Reply   
Thanks Josh, How does it hold the edge and does it have good pop. Is it easy to break loose to butter slide or spins on the water. I am riding a 2000 absolute and I think it is time to trade up. Just trade the boat to an 06 xstar so the board has to go.
Old     (a907rider)      Join Date: May 2006       03-21-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
I'm thinking that I might go with the natural and hope my brother gets the fish. The natural was my first choice anyways and another bonus that nobodys brought up yet is that its friggin chrome!