Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (98_searay)      Join Date: May 2004       03-01-2005, 7:26 AM Reply   
my family is looking to by a houseboat or summar lake house i want to get a houseboat the question came up"over time how much value will it lose/gain in 5years" lets say we bought a 100,000 house boat and with the normal use. how much would it be worth? the boat will be located eather on Lake orovile, Lake Shasta, or on The Delta. if that helps
thank you very much
-alex-
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-01-2005, 8:34 AM Reply   
If you buy a houseboat, you usually have to remove it from the lake. I know there is a waiting list to put a boat on the lake because there is a limited number of houseboat slots. We were going to buy a houseboat on Shasta or McClure and they said we would have to remove the boat. Just a little insight.
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       03-01-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
My partner and I bought a houseboat on Lake Oroville just for the moorage that came with it in the sale. We turned around and sold the boat and the buyer had to remove it so we could put ours on the lake. There is a 1974 40ft Kayot that has been restored and from what I saw, looks to be in good condition, for sale and it comes with the moorage. They seller is asking $40K. I don't remember the number but it is posted on the board outside the entrace to the Bidwell marina store. If you call them I am sure they can give you the number. Otherwise there is at least a 2-3 year waiting list for a spot on Oroville. Shasta has a long waiting list as well and it is insanely expensive. Pretty much all of the lakes in Nor Cal have waiting lists of a couple of years or more.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-04-2005, 11:23 PM Reply   
Like Mike and KJ said, sometimes the permit is worth more than the boat. The only way to get a houseboat on lake Shasta is to buy one with a permit that will transfer. In this case, you will be paying $100,000 for a $50,000 boat and a permit that is worth the rest. As long as the boat continues to float it will still be worth the permit in five years.

On the delta there aren't any permits, so it is just the value of the boat. How much the boat depreciates is going to be a function of how well you maintain it. If you bought a boat that was at least a few years old and kept it in as good of shape as when you bought it then it would still be worth approximately the same after 5 years. Of course, you will have spent a fair amount on it over the five years to keep it that way.

On the other hand, if you ignore it and let small problems turn into big problems then the boat can lose a lot value. If you never haul the boat and paint the hull then you can end up with some major hull repairs. Leaks in the roof can rot the topsides and create major repairs. Carpets wear out, upholstery gets ripped, etc. etc.

If you want to keep a boat in reasonable condition then I would plan on spending about 10% of the boats value a year on upgrades and repair.

Rod
Old     (98_searay)      Join Date: May 2004       03-06-2005, 5:39 PM Reply   
if we get a houseboat then it will stay at the lake and will not be moved! and it will be kept in tip-top shape thank you for you input!
-alex-