Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-22-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
My old tow vehicle(Jeep)which is now my work truck 135,000 miles and a little leaky on the NEW driveway. one of those door to door salesman came by with that driveway stuff and sprayed it on my oil leaks and it went away..THEN he opened the bottle and LICKED IT and said it was all natural. Anybody know of any tips on getting up old oil drips? I was thinking it had to be lemon or citrus juice?? Any ideas on how to get it up?? Jet

p.s. since he was a door to door salesman and came while I was eating I kicked him out without asking how much or getting his ph#. lol
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-22-2010, 5:12 PM Reply   
Degreaser and a scrubbing brush works.

Dish washing liquid works too. I spilled an oil pan on the driveway doing an oil change on my car one time. Hit it with dish washing liquid and a stiff brush with some water and it came up cleaner than the rest of the driveway no oil left at all.

3rd trick might not work on dry oil stains but baking soda sucks up oil spills really well too. Best thing I've found for cleaning oil out of bilges.

(Message edited by jtnz on February 22, 2010)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-22-2010, 5:46 PM Reply   
Power washer and water straight from the hot water heater always works, with a little dish washing liquid thrown into the mix.
Old     (bcoutsfly)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-22-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
Nothing a little kitty litter won't take care of.
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-22-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
No guys..i know all of those tricks, thats for wet oil spills. These are DRY oil STAINS. They have been there for 6-months. I need a really good trick??
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-22-2010, 7:35 PM Reply   
The oil stains I was cleaning up were years old, but whatever. Hot water and a pressure washer worked for ME!
Old     (roughrivermike)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-23-2010, 5:30 AM Reply   
Every now and then it pays to take some time and listen to a salesman.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-23-2010, 5:45 AM Reply   
Bleach. or if you know what your doing hydrocloric acid ( dilluted) will take it right off.
Old     (jmcdanie)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-23-2010, 5:48 AM Reply   
I usually take some WD-40 and spray on the old stains. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe it up with a dirty cloth. The WD-40 breaks up the oil and the WD-40 dries up after you wipe the spot up.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-23-2010, 6:13 AM Reply   
There is no such thing as a DRY oil stain. It is oil, it doesn't dry. I have taken kitty litter on old stains and smash it into the concrete with my foot. It worked to some degree. I never used it but, there used to be a product called revive-a-drive.
Old     (wtrgrl)      Join Date: Mar 2009       02-23-2010, 7:08 AM Reply   
Hydrochloric acid. Best driveway cleaner out there
Old     (bcoutsfly)      Join Date: Aug 2009       02-23-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
Thank you AJ for backing that up. I've always used kitty litter, even on old stains. Work it with your foot then power wash it off.
Old     (crghou)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-23-2010, 1:36 PM Reply   
the oil filter in my old truck was impossible to get out. It would always get oil all over the drive. Not the safest but I always just pored a little gas on it, hit it with the old push broom a few times then rinsed it off. Worked like a charm. Should do the same for old stains as well.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-23-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
Sodium Hydroxide. aka Caustic Soda or Lye. Sprinkle it on, add a touch of water, let it sit overnight and then wash it away. Keep the pets away.

Oil-dri (same thing as kitty litter) is great stuff too, but you gotta let it sit longer.
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-24-2010, 5:44 AM Reply   
Hey Thanks for all of the help. I will try a few. Thanks again
Old     (motorcitymatt)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-24-2010, 7:09 PM Reply   
Break cleaner will get it off, no matter how long its been there.

"Cheap and easy"
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-25-2010, 7:44 AM Reply   
brake fluid
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-25-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
For you envirnomental guys.....dillution is the solution to pollution, make sure you hose the area down really good to dillute the cleaners.